Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

I pressed the reset until the light turned off on the modem. So not sure if this was enough or not.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hello.  Has anyone tried using the Ignite service in a hybrid form?  By that I mean, the modem / router provided by Rogers is in gateway mode and all Rogers equipment stays on this router.  Then, adding an additional router / gateway to all access for your own equipment without bridge mode.  I'm looking at the Ignite service coming from digital cable and separate internet.  I like that the services are separate and my personal environment is protected by my Asus routers IDS.  On the surface, combing all my access in a Rogers environment makes me nervous from a security perspective.  Does anyone see issues with this kind of a set up?  Thank-you.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RCS99 wrote:

Hello.

Hi!  Welcome to the Rogers Community!

Has anyone tried using the Ignite service in a hybrid form?  By that I mean, the modem / router provided by Rogers is in gateway mode and all Rogers equipment stays on this router.  Then, adding an additional router / gateway to all access for your own equipment without bridge mode.  I'm looking at the Ignite service coming from digital cable and separate internet.

A number of people here have.  For example, it was discussed in another Ignite TV thread and you might be interested in reading that we had here: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Rogers-Ignite-TV-Alternate-wifi-connection-possibili...

Your proposed configuration works for many people but it all depends on how you use the Internet.  You will be in a "double-NAT" configuration, with two network firewalls running back-to-back.  You will also run into issues with IPv6 connectivity.  This won't be a problem if you are only using the Internet for email, simple web browsing, streaming video, etc. but could be problematic for online gaming and with some video conferencing/chatting applications.

On the surface, combing all my access in a Rogers environment makes me nervous from a security perspective.

I understand where you are coming from.  However, even when running with a default Rogers configuration, the risk exposure for the average person is pretty low.  Rogers' goal is to provide safe Internet connectivity for their customers, that is easy for their customers to manage and easy for Rogers to support.  If you want to run with a configuration that gives you more control, you have that option as well... but this can also complicate things from a support perspective.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi.  Thank you very much.