Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

@liquidneon  You lose access to some Wi-Fi settings as soon as you start using the Ignite Wi-Fi mobile app and the https://www.rogers.com/ignitewifi/ web portal.  You will lose access to even more settings when you install Ignite Pods.

If you switch to Bridge Mode and cannot statically assign Wi-Fi channels, it's not the end of the world.

However, if you do want to break the link with the Ignite WiFi Hub back-end, first, stop using the Ignite Wi-Fi apps.  As soon as they sign in, the Ignite WiFi Hub back-end will take over control of your gateway.  Also, unplug your Ignite Pods.

As far as I know, the only way to regain control of your Ignite Gateway is to perform a factory reset.  On the XB6 gateway, you will see a reset pinhole; insert a paper clip and keep the reset button depressed until the unit resets.  If you have the new XB7 gateway, I believe that you need to press and hold the WPS button for 15+ seconds until the unit resets.

Next, perform the basic setup again using a web browser.  Connect a computer to the gateway (using an Ethernet cable, if possible, or through your own router) and go to http://10.0.0.1

Some have reported that the Ignite WiFi Hub will try to regain control of your gateway again following the reset, and even restore your old settings if you get a new modem.  If you cannot break the link, you will need to contact Rogers for assistance.

liquidneon
I Plan to Stick Around

ahh OK - that's what I was missing. Thank you for the info. Saturday night I unplugged all pods, factory reset XB6 and still ended up in the same place with greyed out control (likely cause of the ignite internet app which i did NOT uninstall). All good for now... new router seems to be a lot more stable than the XB6+pods even without manual channel selection. WiFi signal power not as strong in some places, but latency has improved everywhere, so it's still worth using my own quality router. 

Now just waiting for Rogers to address the latency/noise issues at the community/neighbourhood level and I will be a happy customer!

dassub
I Plan to Stick Around

Can you tell me more about the services that are running when the XB7 is in bridge mode?

I just switched from legacy internet and TV to Ignite TV and gigabit internet.

I am in bridge mode for the XB7 and using my Linksys EA9500 to do all my routing.

My Ignite TV boxes are all on ethernet.

Everything works perfectly, except last night the Leafs game on TSN 4K was buffering, skipping, and losing audio.

Now I'm worried because I'm in an unsupported setup, even though I hardwired to ethernet and have a very very powerful router.

Does the XB7 know to prioritize TV traffic at all when in bridge mode?  Or does it treat all traffic the same?  Everything works perfectly, I get 950+mbps down on speed tests, and all other channels work great.

I would prefer to stay in my bridged setup, because I have a lot of local traffic rules for DHCP reservations, port forwards, etc.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dassub  I don't think that the Ignite gateways do much, if anything, in terms of traffic prioritization.  A 4K stream consumes approximately 25 Mb/s of bandwidth, and that traffic is delivered in bursts so, even if there is other traffic on your network, Ignite TV should still work fine.

The Ignite TV set-top boxes are a bit weird.  Even when wired, they maintain their wireless connection even though it is not used for streaming traffic.  I have also seen weird audio/video glitches when running in a wired configuration when that wireless connection is unstable.

I wish that I could offer more help but the reality is that the Ignite set-top boxes do not behave like normal streaming boxes.  They were specifically designed to connect to the Ignite gateway over Wi-Fi.  (Comcast's official stance is that you cannot even run Xfinity TV over your own network gear.)

I try to replicate the default, supported configuration as much as possible with my own gear, to the extent that I can fall back to using the Rogers-supported configuration just by powering down my own gear and disabling Bridge Mode on the Ignite gateway.

If everything works fine with your set-top boxes connected to your XB7 gateway with bridge mode disabled, then you will need to troubleshoot your "bridge mode" setup,and let us know what the problem was, and what you did to fix it.

ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dassub wrote:

Can you tell me more about the services that are running when the XB7 is in bridge mode?

I am in bridge mode for the XB7 and using my Linksys EA9500 to do all my routing.

Everything works perfectly, except last night the Leafs game on TSN 4K was buffering, skipping, and losing audio.

Now I'm worried because I'm in an unsupported setup, even though I hardwired to ethernet and have a very very powerful router.

Does the XB7 know to prioritize TV traffic at all when in bridge mode?  Or does it treat all traffic the same?  Everything works perfectly, I get 950+mbps down on speed tests, and all other channels work great.

I would prefer to stay in my bridged setup, because I have a lot of local traffic rules for DHCP reservations, port forwards, etc.

With bridge mode, if you want to give certain devices "priority", you would have to do that on YOUR router???

HOWEVER.... It may have been a "feature" of my old Linksys, but when I was running in Bridge mode, I found that REMOVING prioritization, actually sped up the entire network.   I had read that somewhere, although cannot find the reference this minute.

Might be worth a try, you can always go back.

ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ColdGranite wrote:

@dassub wrote:

With bridge mode, if you want to give certain devices "priority", you would have to do that on YOUR router???

HOWEVER.... It may have been a "feature" of my old Linksys, but when I was running in Bridge mode, I found that REMOVING prioritization, actually sped up the entire network.   I had read that somewhere, although cannot find the reference this minute.

Might be worth a try, you can always go back.

There is some discussion of QoS issues HERE: 

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/netgear-router-disable-qos,news-27675.html

dassub
I Plan to Stick Around

Nah, this definitely isn't a QoS issue, as my network isn't currently congested, and my speed tests are always 950mbps or above.  I was just asking if the modem was aware of the "internet" packets vs the "tv" packets, for lack of a better term.

I will have to try in double-NAT mode with the hidden wifi, and/or on my own wifi mode next, since my 4K channels stutter and buffer on bridge/ethernet.  Regular HD channels are fine 24/7.

dassub
I Plan to Stick Around

Update - Fixed 4K buffering issues when in bridge mode with my Linksys EA9500.

I wanted to post an update and let you know the configuration setting that I had to change to get things working properly.

Connectivity > Internet Settings > IPv6 > Connection type = Changed from automatic to Pass-Through

IPv4 remains on automatic.

This has resolved my issues.  All my Ignite TV boxes are hardwired by ethernet and streaming the Leafs game in 4K in 2 separate rooms without a hitch.

Dalmo999
I'm Here A Lot

My Asus Router supports LACP-IEEE 802.3ad does the Ignite modem support LAC-IEEE 802.3ad

How to enable WAN Aggregation on ASUS Router?

WAN Aggregation combines two Gigabit networks to increase the bandwidth up to 2 Gigabits. Please note that the modem connected to your ASUS Router must support LACP-IEEE 802.3ad to make sure WAN Aggregation works

Regards

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dalmo999 wrote:

My Asus Router supports LACP-IEEE 802.3ad does the Ignite modem support LAC-IEEE 802.3ad

How to enable WAN Aggregation on ASUS Router?

WAN Aggregation combines two Gigabit networks to increase the bandwidth up to 2 Gigabits. Please note that the modem connected to your ASUS Router must support LACP-IEEE 802.3ad to make sure WAN Aggregation works

I researched this for another user last year and (and did another search just now) was not able to find any mention about link aggregation support on the XB6 or XB7 gateways anywhere.  Users also ask about link aggregation and port bonding in the Xfinity support forums but, so far, I have not found any posts from anyone who was able to get this working with an XB6 or XB7 gateway either.