Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

Well their policies do change quickly.   

A week before I switched, their phone offer was essentially $0 with the bundle, but now its $10 🙂

On the phone lines... the important thing is to disconnect (or cut) the line from outside the building, leaving all other connections intact.

I've Been Here Awhile

It looks accurate, and is essentially what I described having done in post #157. 

How to discover channels....

One way is to log into the gateway and router admin pages and see what the channels are (probably on auto), then switch them to manual and pick channel numbers far apart.

A better way is to first run a wifi scanner (Wifi scanner or Netspot Windows 10 apps, or Inssider) to look at the channels being broadcast.  For the Ignite Wifi gateway this will show that it continues broadcasting on channels even after wifi is turned off...........so you still have to go to the gateway and router admin pages and move the channels manually. Doing it this way, you also have the opportunity to avoid the broadcast channels of any nearby neighbors.

I Plan to Stick Around

Great info, thanks. I'm already on a version of Rogers home phone, so I likely won't have to change any wiring from the outside (or inside).

I deleted my comment about rebates from my previous post, as there may be too many variables to suggest unequal treatment, ie; different types of boxes, or local incentives to force people off an existing system they plan to shut down.

I Plan to Stick Around

FWIW, I bridged the IGNITE Gateway to my network today, and it was relatively painless.  Sharing my experience.

So far, working fine.

The router is a Linksys EA6400, with a Linksys RE7000 extender

I reset the gateway's IP to 192.168.0.1, so I could use 192.168.1.1 for my router.

Set the gateway to bridge, powered up the Linksys, and connected the bridge cable. 

One tv box was plugged in hardwired to the Linksys, and worked right away.

The wifi on the linksys was set to the same SSID and password for both 5 and 2.4g.  The wifi on the Extender was set to "same as router"... so essential there are 4 channels in the house all with the same SSID and password... 2.4 and 5 on the main router, and 2.4 and 5 on the extender. 

The two TV boxes on wifi were rebooted as follows:   Hold Rogers for 3 seconds, down, down, 4 , then hold "OK" for 5 seconds.  When they come up after the reboot, they go "connecting to your entertainment" for a long time... 5 minutes or so, searching for their old connection.. but after the 5 minutes they give up and ask you to enter the wifi SSID and password.  

Once that is done, the Ignite TV is working.  One of the boxes connected through the extender, the other one directly to the router.

All your other WIFI devices will have to forget the old network and be reconnected to the new one.  

It appears that they simply access the best signal for the SSID... if the device goes to another part of the house, the signal may get dropped and it just retries with the same SSID and password and finds the extender.

Its only been one day, but seems to be working fine.  

I Plan to Stick Around

Just a few things to add after a few days of bridge operation...

The Linksys EA6400 has a "prioritization" mode whereby one or more devices can be set to have "priority".  I was giving two devices "priority"...the extender and my NAS .

"Prioritization" has to be DISABLED... otherwise the Linksys DOWNLOAD speed drops drastically... like to 10mbps.

With it disabled, I am getting about 300 in the Rogers speed test.  I tested this both with the Rogers Speedtest site, and by timing a 1 gByte download.  Consistent results... 16 minutes vs 25 seconds. Definitely an issue.

After the bridge is up and running... and after any reboot of the gateway, router, or extender.... make sure you reboot the wireless TV Boxes.  We were getting frequent freezes, and it is possible that the TV box locked onto one of the weaker signals as the router/extender were coming back up. 

That all cleared up after a reboot of the boxes.... After everything is up and stable, the reboot of the TV Box probably got it to lock onto the strongest signal at its location.

After those adjustments, Bridge mode has been working fine.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks again. For a non techie like me, having seen the second power outage in a week, yet having no problems with my digital (not ignite bundle) afterward with all my devices, is there a need for bridge mode at all in a basic setup with only a personal router connected to the modem being different?

Ref my post # 160, second last paragraph quoting from my router tech support, which says it should be OK, but they don't know the Ignite system. If I simply plugged my router into the modem (in its default gateway mode), then changed the wifi channels on only my router to something else, sort of like what ab54 said in the previous page, would everything work? Because its likely after a power outage the TV boxes would connect only to the Ignite WiFi after a reboot if gateway mode is retained? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dougjp  If you are a non-techie, then I would strongly advise using a standard, Roger-supported configuration at first.  Do not make your life any more difficult than it needs to be, and do not create a potential support nightmare for yourself.  Configure the Ignite gateway with the same WiFi SSID and passphrase as what you had on your old router, then turn your old router off.  Your devices will then connect to the Ignite gateway.

On the other hand, if you know that you will run into problems (e.g. you have WiFi clients that are incompatible with band steering) then you should look at alternate solutions in advance.

I Plan to Stick Around

@dougjp wrote:

Thanks again. For a non techie like me, having seen the second power outage in a week, yet having no problems with my digital (not ignite bundle) afterward with all my devices, is there a need for bridge mode at all in a basic setup with only a personal router connected to the modem being different?

Ref my post # 160, second last paragraph quoting from my router tech support, which says it should be OK, but they don't know the Ignite system. If I simply plugged my router into the modem (in its default gateway mode), then changed the wifi channels on only my router to something else, sort of like what ab54 said in the previous page, would everything work? Because its likely after a power outage the TV boxes would connect only to the Ignite WiFi after a reboot if gateway mode is retained? 

Yes, in a basic setup there is no need for bridge mode... or even for having a personal router at all...

Unless you need more than two hardwired devices... because that is all the jacks that the Rogers gateway has.

If two is enough, then you could configure all your WIRELESS devices to talk to the wireless SSID of the Rogers gateway, and away you go.

As for running the Rogers Gateway, and your own router together, with both having their wireless operating...

... I have not tried that setup, but I can't see a reason that it would not work.  

However, since the TV Boxes will talk happily to your PERSONAL router, the only possible reason for running the gateway wireless AS WELL, is because you thing it gives better coverage. 

If I WAS to test this, it would go something like this:

1. Power down all the TV boxes

2.  power up the Rogers gateway, and power DOWN the personal router.

3.  plug a pc into the Rogers gateway, log into it, and configure the wireless to the SSID and network password that you want... note that the SSID and password can be the same for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, and I recommend it.

4.  Power up the personal router, and plug the PC into a device port. Log in to the PERSONAL router, and configure the wireless SSID and password on it.  If it was me, I would use a different SSID that the Gateway.  But again, I would make the SSID / password the same for both 2.4 and 5 gHZ.

5.  Connect the personal router's "network" port to one of the Gateways internet ports.  At this point a browser should be able to access the world.

6.  boot up the tv boxes.  The wifi ones will take a long time ( 5 minutes or more) trying to connect to a network.  they will give up and ask you for network information.  That would the the GATEWAY's SSID and password.

7. all other devices would be configured to your PERSONAL router's SSID and password, so that they could have access to your home network.

Remember, I have not actually done this, but that's how I would try it.  If you need more information on any particular step, I can try to help

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ColdGranite  Sure, Ignite TV should run fine when connected to a customer-owned router/Wi-Fi.  However, if any problems should ever arise, Rogers cannot (and will not) support Ignite TV that configuration.  You will need to be able to support it and troubleshoot it on your own, and you will need to be able to put things back into a standard Rogers-supported configuration in order to get support from Rogers.  That's why it's important to have that standard configuration working from the start; so that you can fall back to it when required.

I Plan to Stick Around

I don't have Ignite yet. I'm one of perhaps a very few that plan ahead - realize once the commitment is made to switch to Ignite, which is before the Rogers installer arrives, there is no turning back. I recognize my knowledge limitations, which is "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing", and wouldn't do the install myself. However I will be forced to change to Ignite in the relatively near future, and there are no viable alternative options where I live. So I like to delve into details now to avoid or minimize nasty surprises.

I trust that, in the professional installation, good wifi reception will be ensured around the house, that isn't the issue. I have three ethernet connected devices to my router. Also I consider there was a reason why I paid hundreds for a router, like millions of others did, that being an added level of security. The Rogers digital modem and Ignite modem both can provide wifi without a router supplying that function.

I hear you about those TV boxes being able to talk to the router wifi. In my router's Wireless Settings, the first line is "Wireless Network" with a box saying 'Enable' ticked. What if I just unticked that, and connected my powered on router with an ethernet cable to the Ignite modem, which is set in default gateway mode?  Too simple perhaps?