cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There have been many questions in the Rogers Community Forums lately from users who have switched to Ignite TV and now wish to enable Bridge Mode on the Ignite modem/gateway and use Ignite TV with their own routers and Wi-Fi access points.  The Ignite TV service is actually pretty flexible and works great with a wide range of 3rd-party networking equipment.  That said, Rogers cannot troubleshoot problems or provide any level of support for these configurations so I'm creating this thread so that we, as a community, can support each other.

I recently posted some configuration tips for setting up your own router for use with the Ignite TV service and (time permitting) will post a more comprehensive step-by-step guide.  However, I still don't recommend using Ignite TV in any unsupported configuration unless you have moderately-advanced networking skills and can troubleshoot problems on your own.  Also, if any technical issues should arise, you need to be able to put your Ignite TV components back into their originally-installed supportable configuration before contacting Rogers for technical support.

*** Edited Labels *** 

280 REPLIES 280

Re: Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

Sorry. I do not think I made myself clear. We need to completely disable the "delete history" function so there is no accidental way any history can be deleted.

Thank-you

Circus_boi
I plan to stick around

Sorry if this is not the right forum for this (more basic) question.....anyway, am contemplating changing to Ignite TV & internet from Digital, mostly b/c Rogers Ambassadors are offering better terms.  My question is simply, are the new Rogers Ignite/Gateway modems better these days that people generally don't need to both putting them in bridge and using a 3rd party router to ensure good wifi coverage? For a 1,500 to 2,000 sq. ft. home (3 stories), for example?

Given that Ignite TV is wifi-based, and Rogers won't support if you connect Ignite TV through a 3rd party router, am wondering if I should just dispense with a router and use the Rogers Ignite/Gateway model for wifi also?  It also sounds like I should ask for an Ignite Wifi Pod as well?

Also, I see from other threads that there is now an XB7 modem that support wifi6.  Does Rogers have these and should I insist on getting this if I do move to Ignite?

Thank you in advance!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Circus_boi wrote:

Sorry if this is not the right forum for this (more basic) question.....anyway, am contemplating changing to Ignite TV & internet from Digital, mostly b/c Rogers Ambassadors are offering better terms.  My question is simply, are the new Rogers Ignite/Gateway modems better these days that people generally don't need to both putting them in bridge and using a 3rd party router to ensure good wifi coverage? For a 1,500 to 2,000 sq. ft. home (3 stories), for example?

I have seen an XB6 (with no Pods) provide coverage throughout an entire home that is > 2000 sq. ft. , but I was very methodical about placing the gateway in an optimal location.  Had I moved it only a few feet, I would have had very poor connectivity in one section of the home due to ducts/plumbing/whatever behind walls blocking the signal.

I wouldn't say that the XB6 is any better or any worse than any other all-in-one modem/gateway that I have used in the past.  If you require full control over absolutely every aspect of your network configuration, that is what this this thread is here for.  On the other hand, the Rogers-provided equipment should work fine for most people.

If you install Ignite Pods to extend your WiFi coverage, expect network throughput for any device connected to a Pod to to max out at 200 Mb/s.

For more info on the WiFi capabilities of Ignite Internet, go to: https://www.rogers.com/internet/ignite-wifi-hub

Given that Ignite TV is wifi-based, and Rogers won't support if you connect Ignite TV through a 3rd party router, am wondering if I should just dispense with a router and use the Rogers Ignite/Gateway model for wifi also?  It also sounds like I should ask for an Ignite Wifi Pod as well?

That all depends on your home's construction and where you plan to place your Ignite Gateway.

The biggest advantage to using an all-Rogers network and Wi-Fi solution is that you get full support from Rogers and you don't need to go through exhausting and tedious troubleshooting when you call into tech support.

I would recommend installing Ignite TV in a standard Rogers-supported configuration without Pods.  If you have any issues with Wi-Fi coverage that you cannot address by moving the modem/gateway, then you can either try installing Pods or investigate 3rd-party Wi-Fi solutions.

Also, I see from other threads that there is now an XB7 modem that support wifi6.  Does Rogers have these and should I insist on getting this if I do move to Ignite?

The XB7 only just became available in Canada so not very many people have first-hand experience with it.  I don't know how stable the software is.  The XB7 supports Wi-Fi 6, not Wi-Fi 6E, and the Ignite Pods are Wi-Fi 5 devices.  The Ignite TV set-top boxes don't support Wi-Fi 6 either so you will be running in a mixed configuration.

My network is stable and I do not have any desire or any need to upgrade my XB6.

timfolkins
I plan to stick around

I got the XB7 yesterday - converting over from old gigabit (hitron white modem with black dot) to the XB7 technicolor broadcom based one.

Setup and conversion over to bridge mode went well. There is a way to disable both 2.4G and 5G wireless modems in the interface before switching over. 

Has been working great with much more reliable speeds for us thus far (still early of course).

I have it serving up to asus modems in aimesh.

Circus_boi
I plan to stick around

@-G- Thanks for the detailed response.  Getting the new equipment on Sat., so will see how it all works.  I would like to avoid doing the bridge/router this time, given what I have read in these forums re: potential issues, esp. with separate work-around for TV.  Given that I mainly did the bridge/router last time/current b/c of range & stability issues with the Rogers modem, am hoping that the new Ignite modems are better....the Rogers rep. said she can't guarantee I will get the XB7 as it hasn't been 'fully launched' but she said I could also call Ignite Concierge in the future to get the new modem (and PODS) if I really need/want....

Lurker_Returns
I'm a reliable contributor
I've had both the old CODA and now have the XB6.

Both modems were placed in what could be considered a "suboptimal" position (in the basement, in a closet under the stairs). House is 2 stories, approx 2500 sqft

I had to bridge the CODA and set up a mesh network to get decent coverage to all corners of the house

With the XB6, I get great coverage with it on its own - no pods, no mesh, no bridging. That thing is an absolute blowtorch in my experience.

This is just my anecdotal experience, YMMV.

I got my Ignite hardware today and set it all up. Very easy.

I have eeros around my house and I put the XB7 in bridge mode so all my devices remained connected as they were.

Everything is working in this manner including the Ignite TV box.

My question is how can I connect to the modem to view signal info or just have a look? I was able to before bridge mode, but now http://10.0.0.1/ doesn’t resolve.

Any suggestions? At the end of the it’s all working but it’s just more for curiosity.

Edit: I went straight to bridge mode since my old Hiltron modem was in that mode. Am I missing much by going bridge with XB7? My placement is in the basement and I have two floors above that.

@hansm0leman wrote:
I have eeros around my house and I put the XB7 in bridge mode so all my devices remained connected as they were.

My question is how can I connect to the modem to view signal info or just have a look? I was able to before bridge mode, but now http://10.0.0.1/ doesn’t resolve.

What IPv4 address range are you using on your eero's internal network?  Hopefully you are not using 10.0.0.0/24.  If you are, you will need to make a configuration change in order to resolve this addressing conflict.

hansm0leman
I plan to stick around

Thanks, got it working! 

rayray519
I plan to stick around

Adding 3rd party Firewall/Router

Rogers Parental controls are good, but they need to go more in depth which is why I am considering a Firewalla device - https://firewalla.com/products/firewalla-blue-plus.  I have Ignite Internet and TV together.  Will there be any issues using a 3rd party router with the Ignite Rogers TV service ?

Thanks,

@rayray519 it depends on how you configure the modem and router.  

How do you plan to integrate the blue plus router into your network?

ScottYYZ
I've been here awhile

Hi Everyone,

New to the group, but have been reading articles on here for the past couple of months.  I moved over from Bell Fibe to Rogers Gigabit, and for the most part I am happy.  Speeds on my CAT6-wired devices have been quite good, but the WiFi is horrible.  My modem is in the basement (cannot move), and I have the Rogers PODs installed on the ground, 2nd and 3rd floors.  The PODs have horrible performance, and we have heavy users in the house.

When we had Bell, I was running a top-of-the-line Ubiquiti WiFi mesh system (my own).  When moving to Rogers, I was told that I could not use it anymore (I am figuring-out that this may not be true), because we have a single Rogers Ignite TV box that floats around the house depending on who is watching TV.

I am hoping someone can provide me with the best way that I can reconfigure my Ubiquiti EdgeRouter to properly work with the Rogers Gigabit modem (my modem is the tall black tower - CGM4140COM).

I would consider myself moderately knowledgeable about networking (definitely not a noobie), and would highly appreciate any assistance.  My wife and kids are on my case daily to improve wifi 'back to the way it was, before *I* chose to move to Rogers'... 😉

Thanks!

Hello, @ScottYYZ.

A warm welcome to our Community Forums! 😃

Thank you for your detailed post; maybe you should try eliminating the Pod of the 2nd floor to see if the WiFi performance improves. If you can form a virtual triangle between the modem and the other two Pods may help with the WiFi performance.

Otherwise, you are at the right place to get help with configuring your Ubiquiti WiFi mesh system with the XB6 gateway modem.

Please check the solution post to begin your personalized network setup. If you have questions, post in this thread and you can also tag @-G-, resident expert and the solution author of this thread.

All the best!

Cheers,

RogersMoin

ScottYYZ
I've been here awhile

@-G- Thank you for posting this detailed set of instructions.  By chance, have you ever put together a detailed instruction set for setting-up an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter with the XB6?  I am having difficulty migrating mine from it's old duty (Bell Fibe connection, where it worked flawlessly).  I'm not sure where I am going wrong with the settings, but it's not working at all (a set of instructions that I could check-off one-by-one would be hugely helpful, as well as any hints/tips for this particular router).

Much appreciated -

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ScottYYZ  I do not currently have any Ubituiti gear in my home, so I cannot provide step-by-step instructions.  The main purpose of this thread was to provide general guidance that applies to all network vendors, and to provide some specific configuration advice that will simplify your life should you ever need to temporarily revert back to a Rogers-supported configuration.

By chance, have you ever put together a detailed instruction set for setting-up an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter with the XB6?  I am having difficulty migrating mine from it's old duty (Bell Fibe connection, where it worked flawlessly).  I'm not sure where I am going wrong with the settings, but it's not working at all (a set of instructions that I could check-off one-by-one would be hugely helpful, as well as any hints/tips for this particular router).

Which Ubiquiti gear are you currently using?  The EdgeRouter is based on EdgeOS.  You also mentioned that you have their WiFi Mesh (AmpliFi?) products, and those are based on a completely different platform.

If you are running AmpliFi gear, another option is to disable WiFi on the Ignite gateway and enable Bridge Mode on your AmpliFi Mesh.  In this configuration, the Ignite gateway would still be in a Rogers-supported configuration (with Bridge Mode disabled) and your Ubiquity WiFi gear would only be functioning as an Access Point.  (This is functionally equivalent to a configuration that Rogers initially used (prior to Ignite WiFi Pods becoming available) when they installed an eero WiFi mesh in customers' homes.)

fram1963
I've been here awhile

@-G- Thanks for the elaborate explanation posted on the first page. However, I just received my modem (have not opened the box yet) and it's not a kind mentioned in this thread (that I could find anyway). The brand or model is Elan.

1- Can I still use your instructions to setup this modem?

2- I will be using my own router (already setup with IPV6 address - ASUS RT-N66U) so is it ok to connect my router first (to turn off WiFi on Rogers modem and enable bridge mode) then setup the Ignite TV afterwards with my own WiFi?

3- In Step 3 it says "The XB6 gateway does not have a true "bridge mode"." Is that the case with the Elan as well? And does that mean that there is no option per say to turn bridge mode on and off?

4- Do I have to setup a wifi network (ssid and passphrase, channels I use for 2.4GHz and 5GHz from my router) on Rogers modem just to set channels (as per your instructions) and turn off wifi?

5- In your instructions, your mention "Before you disable Wi-Fi on the XB6, perform a wireless survey and statically assign a channel to both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz Wi-Fi bands."   Excuse my ignorance but how do I perform a survey? Is that an option on the Rogers modem?

Thanks for any extra help you can provide,

It should be fun to setup - 😄

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@fram1963 wrote:

@-G- Thanks for the elaborate explanation posted on the first page. However, I just received my modem (have not opened the box yet) and it's not a kind mentioned in this thread (that I could find anyway). The brand or model is Elan.

Where are you located?  I believe that Rogers uses the Élan branding (e.g. Télé Élan instead of Ignite TV) in French-speaking areas of Canada.

1- Can I still use your instructions to setup this modem?

If you have and XB6 or XB7 gateway, then yes.  However, I strongly recommend that you first perform the installation as per Rogers' instructions.  You will need to fall back to a standard/supported configuration if you should ever require tech support from Rogers.

2- I will be using my own router (already setup with IPV6 address - ASUS RT-N66U) so is it ok to connect my router first (to turn off WiFi on Rogers modem and enable bridge mode) then setup the Ignite TV afterwards with my own WiFi?

Yes, you should be able to do this.

Keep in mind that in a standard installation, you first configure WiFi on the XB6 (or XB7) gateway.  Then, all that you need to do is power up the Xi6 set-top boxes, and they discover and connect to the Rogers gateway automatically.

3- In Step 3 it says "The XB6 gateway does not have a true "bridge mode"." Is that the case with the Elan as well? And does that mean that there is no option per say to turn bridge mode on and off?

I say "not a true bridge mode" because enabling Bridge Mode does not reduce the XB6 or XB7 gateway to a dumb/simple modem; it still has services running on it and will also have hidden WiFi networks enabled.

4- Do I have to setup a wifi network (ssid and passphrase, channels I use for 2.4GHz and 5GHz from my router) on Rogers modem just to set channels (as per your instructions) and turn off wifi?

You can only change/explicitly set the WiFi channels on the Rogers gateway while WiFi is active.  Once you do that and save the settings, you can then disable WiFi and the hidden WiFi networks will continue to use the channels that you set.

5- In your instructions, your mention "Before you disable Wi-Fi on the XB6, perform a wireless survey and statically assign a channel to both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz Wi-Fi bands."   Excuse my ignorance but how do I perform a survey? Is that an option on the Rogers modem?

I use an app on my iPhone (I enable the Wi-Fi scanner on the Apple AirPort utility) to see what Wi-Fi channels are active.  The purpose for doing this is so that you can pick optimal 2.5 and 5 GHz channels for your own use and/or to ensure that the Rogers modem/gateway does not pick optimal channel(s) and, in turn, prevent other nearby Wi-Fi routers from auto-selecting that channel.

Thanks for any extra help you can provide,

It should be fun to setup - 😄

Good luck.  Keep in mind that Rogers Tech Support will not be able to provide you with any assistance while you are running in any non-standard/untested/unsupported configuration.

fram1963
I've been here awhile

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Well duh!  I turned the box around and it says Ignite in english (I'm in Ottawa btw)... just didn't go all the way around the box. 😛

I think I got the Ignite Gateway gen 2  so I assume it's XB7.  So when you said:

"If you have and XB6 or XB7 gateway, then yes.  However, I strongly recommend that you first perform the installation as per Rogers' instructions.  You will need to fall back to a standard/supported configuration if you should ever require tech support from Rogers."

You mean using the Rogers Ignite WiFi Hub phone app for initial setup (I hope I have enough data to do it - my plan is very minimal)?  Is that the only way to do the setup or is there an alternative without a phone?

Thanks again

Lyne

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@fram1963  I don't have an XB7 but you should get able to perform the basic configuration with a web browser, rather than the app, by connecting to the Ignite gateway and going to http://10.0.0.1.

The basic setup involves setting an admin password and configuring the WiFi SSID/passphrase.

Once that is done, simply power up the Ignite set-top boxes.  They will connect to a special service on the XB7 gateway, which enables the set-top boxes to discover and automatically connect to Wi-Fi.

This puts you into a configuration that Rogers supports, with the Ignite set-top boxes connected to the Ignite gateway.

liquidneon
I plan to stick around

"Before you disable Wi-Fi on the XB6, perform a wireless survey and statically assign a channel to both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz Wi-Fi bands. "

I'm not able to assign these channels... it's all greyed out for me. Any idea how I can enable these options? No idea where to disable this automatic management...

"Wi-Fi Mode, Security Mode, Channel Selection, Channel Mode, and Channel Bandwidth are being managed automatically to help optimize your home Wi-Fi network and improve Wi-Fi coverage. To edit your Wi-Fi Network Name & Network password, please download the Rogers Ignite WiFi app or visit ignitewifi.rogers.com."

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@liquidneon  You lose access to some Wi-Fi settings as soon as you start using the Ignite Wi-Fi mobile app and the https://www.rogers.com/ignitewifi/ web portal.  You will lose access to even more settings when you install Ignite Pods.

If you switch to Bridge Mode and cannot statically assign Wi-Fi channels, it's not the end of the world.

However, if you do want to break the link with the Ignite WiFi Hub back-end, first, stop using the Ignite Wi-Fi apps.  As soon as they sign in, the Ignite WiFi Hub back-end will take over control of your gateway.  Also, unplug your Ignite Pods.

As far as I know, the only way to regain control of your Ignite Gateway is to perform a factory reset.  On the XB6 gateway, you will see a reset pinhole; insert a paper clip and keep the reset button depressed until the unit resets.  If you have the new XB7 gateway, I believe that you need to press and hold the WPS button for 15+ seconds until the unit resets.

Next, perform the basic setup again using a web browser.  Connect a computer to the gateway (using an Ethernet cable, if possible, or through your own router) and go to http://10.0.0.1

Some have reported that the Ignite WiFi Hub will try to regain control of your gateway again following the reset, and even restore your old settings if you get a new modem.  If you cannot break the link, you will need to contact Rogers for assistance.