Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sunshine881
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

Sorry. I do not think I made myself clear. We need to completely disable the "delete history" function so there is no accidental way any history can be deleted.

Thank-you

Circus_boi
I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry if this is not the right forum for this (more basic) question.....anyway, am contemplating changing to Ignite TV & internet from Digital, mostly b/c Rogers Ambassadors are offering better terms.  My question is simply, are the new Rogers Ignite/Gateway modems better these days that people generally don't need to both putting them in bridge and using a 3rd party router to ensure good wifi coverage? For a 1,500 to 2,000 sq. ft. home (3 stories), for example?

Given that Ignite TV is wifi-based, and Rogers won't support if you connect Ignite TV through a 3rd party router, am wondering if I should just dispense with a router and use the Rogers Ignite/Gateway model for wifi also?  It also sounds like I should ask for an Ignite Wifi Pod as well?

Also, I see from other threads that there is now an XB7 modem that support wifi6.  Does Rogers have these and should I insist on getting this if I do move to Ignite?

Thank you in advance!
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Circus_boi wrote:

Sorry if this is not the right forum for this (more basic) question.....anyway, am contemplating changing to Ignite TV & internet from Digital, mostly b/c Rogers Ambassadors are offering better terms.  My question is simply, are the new Rogers Ignite/Gateway modems better these days that people generally don't need to both putting them in bridge and using a 3rd party router to ensure good wifi coverage? For a 1,500 to 2,000 sq. ft. home (3 stories), for example?

I have seen an XB6 (with no Pods) provide coverage throughout an entire home that is > 2000 sq. ft. , but I was very methodical about placing the gateway in an optimal location.  Had I moved it only a few feet, I would have had very poor connectivity in one section of the home due to ducts/plumbing/whatever behind walls blocking the signal.

I wouldn't say that the XB6 is any better or any worse than any other all-in-one modem/gateway that I have used in the past.  If you require full control over absolutely every aspect of your network configuration, that is what this this thread is here for.  On the other hand, the Rogers-provided equipment should work fine for most people.

If you install Ignite Pods to extend your WiFi coverage, expect network throughput for any device connected to a Pod to to max out at 200 Mb/s.

For more info on the WiFi capabilities of Ignite Internet, go to: https://www.rogers.com/internet/ignite-wifi-hub

Given that Ignite TV is wifi-based, and Rogers won't support if you connect Ignite TV through a 3rd party router, am wondering if I should just dispense with a router and use the Rogers Ignite/Gateway model for wifi also?  It also sounds like I should ask for an Ignite Wifi Pod as well?

That all depends on your home's construction and where you plan to place your Ignite Gateway.

The biggest advantage to using an all-Rogers network and Wi-Fi solution is that you get full support from Rogers and you don't need to go through exhausting and tedious troubleshooting when you call into tech support.

I would recommend installing Ignite TV in a standard Rogers-supported configuration without Pods.  If you have any issues with Wi-Fi coverage that you cannot address by moving the modem/gateway, then you can either try installing Pods or investigate 3rd-party Wi-Fi solutions.

Also, I see from other threads that there is now an XB7 modem that support wifi6.  Does Rogers have these and should I insist on getting this if I do move to Ignite?

The XB7 only just became available in Canada so not very many people have first-hand experience with it.  I don't know how stable the software is.  The XB7 supports Wi-Fi 6, not Wi-Fi 6E, and the Ignite Pods are Wi-Fi 5 devices.  The Ignite TV set-top boxes don't support Wi-Fi 6 either so you will be running in a mixed configuration.

My network is stable and I do not have any desire or any need to upgrade my XB6.

timfolkins
I Plan to Stick Around

I got the XB7 yesterday - converting over from old gigabit (hitron white modem with black dot) to the XB7 technicolor broadcom based one.

Setup and conversion over to bridge mode went well. There is a way to disable both 2.4G and 5G wireless modems in the interface before switching over. 

Has been working great with much more reliable speeds for us thus far (still early of course).

I have it serving up to asus modems in aimesh.

Circus_boi
I Plan to Stick Around

@-G- Thanks for the detailed response.  Getting the new equipment on Sat., so will see how it all works.  I would like to avoid doing the bridge/router this time, given what I have read in these forums re: potential issues, esp. with separate work-around for TV.  Given that I mainly did the bridge/router last time/current b/c of range & stability issues with the Rogers modem, am hoping that the new Ignite modems are better....the Rogers rep. said she can't guarantee I will get the XB7 as it hasn't been 'fully launched' but she said I could also call Ignite Concierge in the future to get the new modem (and PODS) if I really need/want....

Lurker_Returns
I Plan to Stick Around

I've had both the old CODA and now have the XB6.

Both modems were placed in what could be considered a "suboptimal" position (in the basement, in a closet under the stairs). House is 2 stories, approx 2500 sqft

I had to bridge the CODA and set up a mesh network to get decent coverage to all corners of the house

With the XB6, I get great coverage with it on its own - no pods, no mesh, no bridging. That thing is an absolute blowtorch in my experience.

This is just my anecdotal experience, YMMV.
hansm0leman
I Plan to Stick Around

I got my Ignite hardware today and set it all up. Very easy.

I have eeros around my house and I put the XB7 in bridge mode so all my devices remained connected as they were.

Everything is working in this manner including the Ignite TV box.

My question is how can I connect to the modem to view signal info or just have a look? I was able to before bridge mode, but now http://10.0.0.1/ doesn’t resolve.

Any suggestions? At the end of the it’s all working but it’s just more for curiosity.

Edit: I went straight to bridge mode since my old Hiltron modem was in that mode. Am I missing much by going bridge with XB7? My placement is in the basement and I have two floors above that.
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@hansm0leman wrote:
I have eeros around my house and I put the XB7 in bridge mode so all my devices remained connected as they were.

My question is how can I connect to the modem to view signal info or just have a look? I was able to before bridge mode, but now http://10.0.0.1/ doesn’t resolve.

What IPv4 address range are you using on your eero's internal network?  Hopefully you are not using 10.0.0.0/24.  If you are, you will need to make a configuration change in order to resolve this addressing conflict.

hansm0leman
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks, got it working! 

rayray519
I Plan to Stick Around

Adding 3rd party Firewall/Router

Rogers Parental controls are good, but they need to go more in depth which is why I am considering a Firewalla device - https://firewalla.com/products/firewalla-blue-plus.  I have Ignite Internet and TV together.  Will there be any issues using a 3rd party router with the Ignite Rogers TV service ?

Thanks,