cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There have been many questions in the Rogers Community Forums lately from users who have switched to Ignite TV and now wish to enable Bridge Mode on the Ignite modem/gateway and use Ignite TV with their own routers and Wi-Fi access points.  The Ignite TV service is actually pretty flexible and works great with a wide range of 3rd-party networking equipment.  That said, Rogers cannot troubleshoot problems or provide any level of support for these configurations so I'm creating this thread so that we, as a community, can support each other.

I recently posted some configuration tips for setting up your own router for use with the Ignite TV service and (time permitting) will post a more comprehensive step-by-step guide.  However, I still don't recommend using Ignite TV in any unsupported configuration unless you have moderately-advanced networking skills and can troubleshoot problems on your own.  Also, if any technical issues should arise, you need to be able to put your Ignite TV components back into their originally-installed supportable configuration before contacting Rogers for technical support.

*** Edited Labels *** 

280 REPLIES 280

Re: Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

GarfieldTheCat
I plan to stick around

Thank you for this information. It is great!

I am new to this IPv6. If I may, I want to ask some questions?

Currently, I have XB6 -> EdgeRouter Lite -> Devices.

I still have the XB6 in "non-bridge" mode. And I setup DHCPv6-PD on EdgeRouter Lite by following instructions on another forum. Hopefully, I followed it correctly. I see EdgeRouter Lite gets an IPv6 address. But the devices that is connecting to EdgeRouter Lite, should it be getting IPv6 address now or only after the XB6 is switched to Bridge mode?

And if one of the Devices is a wireless router. And I would need to setup the Wireless router to do DHCPv6-PD? And it should have the IPv6 address and the device that connect to this wireless router would get the IPv6 address too? I guess I would need this for the Ignite TV?

Currently, I am still in non-bridge mode, and my devices, either a Windows computer or wireless router, are not getting IPv6 address from EdgeRouter Lite. I would like to make sure I have everything setup correctly before trying to turn on bridge mode. Which I currently not sure if I have the EdgeRouter setup correctly.

Thank you in advance. And sorry for all the dumb questions...

@GarfieldTheCat  The Rogers IPv6 Status thread is probably a better place to ask general IPv6-related questions.

However, the setup that you describe here is a good example of why it is NOT a good thing to cascade multiple router/firewall devices behind one another as it can cause issues that affect both IPv4 and IPv6.

In the IPv4 case, you typically have public IPv4 address (reachable from the entire Internet) on your router's WAN interface, a private address range on your internal LAN segment, the router/firewall typically performs network address translation, making it it look like connections from an internal device originate from the public IP address that is assigned to your WAN interface.  It can be problematic, for some applications, when a connection traverses multiple router/firewalls.  (Search the Internet for "double NAT" to see what some of these problems can be.)

With IPv6, we don't perform NAT because EVERY IPv6 device gets its own unique IPv6 address.  In our case, our IPv6 router obtains an IPv6 prefix delegation from Rogers and allocates that (or a portion of it) to its internal LAN segment.  One of the problems with cascading IPv6 router/firewalls is that the downstream router may only get a portion of the PD that it requests/expects and, worst case, may only be able to get an IPv6 address on its WAN interface.

All of these issues can be fixed with the proper configuration, and knowledge of what to do (and what not to do) and why... and this can also cause frustration for those with limited networking knowledge when things don't "just work".

GarfieldTheCat
I plan to stick around

@-G- Sorry, want to confirm if I understand your answer. I think my Devices behind the EdgeRouter Lite should get IPv6 address if my EdgeRouter Lite is setup correctly?

I did post a message to the link you provided. There was a user who said he has a working version of config for EdgeRouter. So, I posted what I have and hoping someone can confirm my settings is correct. I got a suggestion to change the prefix length from 64 to 54. And it went off topic and they were discussing the old days about address space.

I understand your point. It should leave it to the expert. But I am just running a home network. I cannot afford an expert coming in. And if it is so simple, I don't need to post stupid questions, right? And if I don't try, how am I going to learn? I admitted already that I am new to IPv6. So, I just want to understand what is the expected behavior and if someone can give me a tip or two of where to look would be much appreciated. I wasn't expecting a reply telling me that if I don't know what I am doing, don't do it. I feel like I am back in high school and the teacher is telling the class how stupid you are. I wonder what is the purpose of this forums, to help people or to discourage people. It is so sad to see this.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor

I've been struggling to decide whether or not to go thru with my Ignite migration, and based on a few things I've learned about the platform over the last few weeks, I'm leaning towards cancelling it and just keeping my legacy digital cable services...but I'm not 100% on that yet.  However, this week I noticed something that could be a huge show-stopper for me migrating to Ignite.  Up until a few days ago, I had IPv6 disabled on my Asus RT-AC68U router which I'm using with a CODA-4582 modem in bridge mode.  Everything was working flawlessly until I decided to re-enable IPv6 a few days ago.  Ever since then, my wife and I have had problems with MS Teams and Outlook on our work computers.  With IPv6 enabled, we drop MS Teams calls every few mins, and Outlook frequently refuses to connect to our Exchange servers.  As soon as I disabled IPv6 on the router today, boom! - everything worked well again.  I'm not sure if it's a problem on Rogers' end or if it's my Asus router because I have not tested using the CODA-4582 exclusively (and obviously with IPv6 enabled) without my Asus router.

Question - do the Ignite TV boxes absolutely need IPv6 or will they work fine with just IPv4?  If I migrate to Ignite, I would like to continue using my Asus router (with XB6 bridged) but will I have problems with TV service if I leave IPv6 disabled on the router?  I realize I can just disable IPv6 in my WiFi and LAN adapter settings on my work laptop (and on my wife's work laptop too), and keep IPv6 enabled on my Asus, but if we're having problems with Teams and Outlook, who knows what other issues we're going to run into on other devices with IPv6 enabled on our home network.  I would rather just keep it disabled on the router if I can but need to make sure Ignite TV will work.  And I'd also be interested to hear if others have a similar problem as I do...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@toolcubed wrote:  I have had problems with MS Teams and Outlook on our work computers. 

You are aware of the recent issues re MS365 Outlook/Teams?

https://boingboing.net/2020/09/28/microsoft-365-outage-caused-problems-for-outlook-com-and-microsoft...

@GarfieldTheCat wrote:

Currently, I have XB6 -> EdgeRouter Lite -> Devices.

Sorry... I misunderstood your post on first reading, and I was trying to explain why your configuration was not working.  I also don't have firsthand experience with Ubiquiti routers, so I couldn't give you any guidance on the configuration.  Please let me try again.

I still have the XB6 in "non-bridge" mode. And I setup DHCPv6-PD on EdgeRouter Lite by following instructions on another forum. Hopefully, I followed it correctly. I see EdgeRouter Lite gets an IPv6 address. But the devices that is connecting to EdgeRouter Lite, should it be getting IPv6 address now or only after the XB6 is switched to Bridge mode?

I don't know exactly how the EdgeRouter behaves but you will need to test this with the XB6 in bridge mode to see whether your router's WAN interface is getting initialized properly and to verify that the IPv6 PD is getting assigned to your internal LAN segment.

I would test as simple a configuration as possible, namely: XB6 -> EdgeRouter Lite -> Computer

and verify that the computer is getting IPv4 and IPv6 addresses assigned and that IPv6 works on the computer.  Then you can expand your internal network again and add your other devices.

Also, keep in mind that your EdgeRouter Lite will now also be the device that will be securing your in-home network, so you will need to ensure that its internal firewall is enabled and that you have security policies configured and working properly for both IPv4 and IPv6.

And if one of the Devices is a wireless router. And I would need to setup the Wireless router to do DHCPv6-PD? And it should have the IPv6 address and the device that connect to this wireless router would get the IPv6 address too? I guess I would need this for the Ignite TV?

If you are using this Wi-Fi  router just to provide wireless access within your home, I would actually configure it as  a Wi-Fi access point.  Some routers have a specific configuration option for this that disables routing and firewall functionality, DHCP, etc. and bridges the WAN and LAN segments together.  Those that don't have a "bridge" or "AP mode" usually have a support page on their corporate web site that provide steps on how to do this manually.  If you leave this device configured as a router and place it behind your EdgeRouter, you could still run into weird issues, and Ignite TV may not work properly either, especially if you get into a situation where IPv6 connectivity is only half-working.

Currently, I am still in non-bridge mode, and my devices, either a Windows computer or wireless router, are not getting IPv6 address from EdgeRouter Lite. I would like to make sure I have everything setup correctly before trying to turn on bridge mode. Which I currently not sure if I have the EdgeRouter setup correctly.

You are experiencing these problems because you have multiple router/firewalls cascaded, so you would be better off testing with the simple configuration that I proposed.

Thank you in advance. And sorry for all the dumb questions...

Good luck with getting this all working.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@toolcubed wrote:

Question - do the Ignite TV boxes absolutely need IPv6 or will they work fine with just IPv4?

I have never tested Ignite TV with an IPv4-only network configuration, so I can't say with 100% certainty, but I don't think that it will work fine.  The only Ignite TV configuration that Rogers supports is to have the Ignite (XB6) modem in gateway mode, not bridge mode, and there is no way to disable IPv6 on the XB6 itself.  Furthermore, if IPv6 connectivity "breaks" for whatever reason, I know that the Ignite set-top boxes will fall back to IPv4 but you will run into weird issues, such as channel changes taking several seconds.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
Thanks.

@57 Yes, I’m aware of the MS issues. We received a communication from our MS account rep at work but apparently it’s sporadic. For my wife and I, the problems occur whenever we have IPv6 enabled. I can easily reproduce the issue. It was the same issue a few months ago and back then, I did the same thing to fix the problem - disabled IPv6 and we were good to go. I re-enabled it a few days ago to test...it’s still a problem.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@toolcubed wrote:

I've been struggling to decide whether or not to go thru with my Ignite migration, and based on a few things I've learned about the platform over the last few weeks, I'm leaning towards cancelling it and just keeping my legacy digital cable services...but I'm not 100% on that yet.  However, this week I noticed something that could be a huge show-stopper for me migrating to Ignite.  Up until a few days ago, I had IPv6 disabled on my Asus RT-AC68U router which I'm using with a CODA-4582 modem in bridge mode.  Everything was working flawlessly until I decided to re-enable IPv6 a few days ago.  Ever since then, my wife and I have had problems with MS Teams and Outlook on our work computers.  With IPv6 enabled, we drop MS Teams calls every few mins, and Outlook frequently refuses to connect to our Exchange servers.  As soon as I disabled IPv6 on the router today, boom! - everything worked well again.  I'm not sure if it's a problem on Rogers' end or if it's my Asus router because I have not tested using the CODA-4582 exclusively (and obviously with IPv6 enabled) without my Asus router.

After enabling IPv6 on your router, did you reboot your router, then reboot your computer?

Also, when you started running into issues with IPv6 enabled, did you try testing your connectivity with any of the following sites?

https://en.internet.nl

https://ipv6-test.com

http://test-ipv6.com

... and test IPv6/IPv4-fallback with the following?

http://he.test-ipv6.com

If all of the above tests okay, could your problems be due to a configuration issue on your corporate network, VPN client, etc. ... something that would cause your computer to believe that it has IPv6 connectivity to a host on your corporate network when in fact you have IPv6-related brokenness somewhere on the network path?

Fookaroo
I plan to stick around

Have had a few days to play around with things some more. XB6 is in Bridge Mode, Linksys is setup as per the settings listed on another post, everything IS working, internet, set top boxes etc, but it doesn't look like my router is getting an IPV6 address when I go and check the settings I see of course my router have an IPV4 address, but the IPV6 is blank. When I do an ipconfig /all on my computer, i do see a Link-local IPv6 Address, does that mean things are working correctly then? I guess if everything is working correctly, I'm good LOL. I did try also the URLs listed for testing IPV6

No IPv6 address detected

You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 Internet only. You will not be able to reach IPv6-only sites.

To ensure the best Internet performance and connectivity, ask your ISP about native IPv6.

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have IPv6 Internet access.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Fookaroo  Your computer definitely does not have IPv6 Internet connectivity.  It's interesting that you do not experience any problems with Ignite TV.  (The issues that I saw were the result of IPv6-brokenness, where the Ignite set-top boxes thought that they had IPv6 connectivity, then didn't handle it well when it did not work.  I've never tested in an IPv4-only configuration.)

Fookaroo
I plan to stick around
Yeah I mean everything is working great, no lag on any of the 3 boxes we have, DVR works fine, and every device in the house is working on the wifi lol

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Fookaroo wrote:
Yeah I mean everything is working great, no lag on any of the 3 boxes we have, DVR works fine, and every device in the house is working on the wifi lol

That's good to know.  I'm also glad to hear that this setup is working well for you.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
@-G- Yes, I rebooted both my router and cable modem after enabling IPv6. I tested on “test-ipv6.com” and it was fine. We don’t require VPN access for work. We connect directly to our Azure AD. Also, doubt it’s a corporate network config issue because my wife has exactly the same problems with her Teams and Outlook on her work laptop. She works for a different company. Unless both corporate networks are misconfigured but that would be some coincidence. What I haven’t done yet is try to use Teams and Outlook at a different location (e.g. my parents’ house) to rule out any slim possibility that this is a local Rogers issue or a problem with my router.

PVC
I plan to stick around

[quote] @PVC  Did you set up IPv6 on your Netgear router as per the directions in this post?

After confirming that your router's settings are correct, please try the following steps:

- Ensure that bridge mode is enabled in your XB6 gateway

- Disconnect the ALL Ethernet cables from the XB6's LAN ports

- Unplug the power plug for your Netgear router

- Restart your XB6 by power-cycling it.

- After the XB6 comes back online and its status LED turns solid white, wait AT LEAST 10 minutes.

- After the 10 minute wait period has completed, connect the your Netgear router DIRECTLY to the XB6.  DO NOT connect any other devices to the XB6.

- Power up your Netgear router.

- Reboot your computer

Please let us know if this worked.[/quote]

@-G- 

Unfortunately...didn't work!

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
Looks like Microsoft is acknowledging there might be problems with Outlook (and presumably Teams) when IPv6 is enabled, but they also say “when there are network connectivity issues on your IPv6 network.” That implies a problem with the Rogers network (IPv6 config and/or routing) or a problem with my Asus’ handling of IPv6 traffic...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/troubleshoot/connectivity/outlook-shows-disconnected-if-ipv...

Fookaroo
I plan to stick around
So not sure what I did, but now my Linksys router IS getting an IPV6 address and so are all the devices in the home lol

daniel6843
I plan to stick around

Is the hidden WIFI Network still an issue? 

I have a TP Link AX 50 router currently with a legacy setup, rocket modem. Currently where I have my router placed is right beside the internet modem. I just found out today that the ignite service is totally different. One modem manages everything including tv, home phone. Just 1 coax cable needed. I also have another modem the dpx2213 VoIP modem. I take it the xb6 or whatever I am getting delivered tomorrow takes over that too, can I still run em both? Be a pain because would have to run a long phone cable to where the modem would be sitting in place of the rocket.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
You cannot use any legacy Rogers network equipment (e.g. your home phone modem/eMTA) with Ignite TV. As you’ve stated, the Ignite gateway (XB6) handles everything (TV, Internet, Home Phone). It’s one coax cable directly into the XB6 and that’s it. You can bridge the XB6 and use your own router (unsupported by Rogers), or leave the XB6 in gateway mode with its WiFi disabled and then use your own router in access point mode, or just use the XB6 on its own provided it supplies enough coverage (or add Rogers WiFi pods to extend WiFi signal). Your existing legacy digital equipment (cable tv boxes, internet modem, home phone modem) will be useless paperweights once you’re on Ignite. If you own your cable tv boxes, you don’t need to return them and might actually be able to still access any recordings you have (if any of them are PVRs) but not 100% sure about that. You would need to return the internet and home phone modems to Rogers once you’re migrated to Ignite and your legacy digital services have been terminated. If you don’t return that equipment, Rogers will charge you.

Edit: After reading your post again, sounds like you might have your own VoIP service with its own terminal? Is so, you should still be able to use it with Ignite as it would just be another IP client on the network. But since Ignite comes with home phone at no extra charge, why not just use it? If you can’t run a phone cable from the XB6 to wherever you need to, you can just plug your home phone (i.e. the telephone device itself) directly into the XB6. If you have cordless phones, plug the base into the XB6.

daniel6843
I plan to stick around
No it's not a separate voip service it's a voip modem provided by rogers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@toolcubed wrote:
1. Your existing legacy digital equipment (cable tv boxes, internet modem, home phone modem) will be useless paperweights once you’re on Ignite. If you own your cable tv boxes, you don’t need to return them and

2. might actually be able to still access any recordings you have (if any of them are PVRs) but not 100% sure about that. 

1. These (if owned) may be worth something if returned to Rogers.   There was a time when Rogers provided a small one-time credit. Not sure if that still holds.  There are lots for sale on Kijiji or similar, so you can see what they're worth - not much.

2. Rogers will deactivate any boxes as soon as you start with IgniteTV.  You would need to disconnect the RF-coax from owned PVRs before deactivation and also not let them power down. As soon as they power down, they will not reboot again at your home.  Watch any recordings before you switch to Ignite.