Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

@toolcubed wrote:  I have had problems with MS Teams and Outlook on our work computers. 

You are aware of the recent issues re MS365 Outlook/Teams?

https://boingboing.net/2020/09/28/microsoft-365-outage-caused-problems-for-outlook-com-and-microsoft...

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@GarfieldTheCat wrote:

Currently, I have XB6 -> EdgeRouter Lite -> Devices.

Sorry... I misunderstood your post on first reading, and I was trying to explain why your configuration was not working.  I also don't have firsthand experience with Ubiquiti routers, so I couldn't give you any guidance on the configuration.  Please let me try again.

I still have the XB6 in "non-bridge" mode. And I setup DHCPv6-PD on EdgeRouter Lite by following instructions on another forum. Hopefully, I followed it correctly. I see EdgeRouter Lite gets an IPv6 address. But the devices that is connecting to EdgeRouter Lite, should it be getting IPv6 address now or only after the XB6 is switched to Bridge mode?

I don't know exactly how the EdgeRouter behaves but you will need to test this with the XB6 in bridge mode to see whether your router's WAN interface is getting initialized properly and to verify that the IPv6 PD is getting assigned to your internal LAN segment.

I would test as simple a configuration as possible, namely: XB6 -> EdgeRouter Lite -> Computer

and verify that the computer is getting IPv4 and IPv6 addresses assigned and that IPv6 works on the computer.  Then you can expand your internal network again and add your other devices.

Also, keep in mind that your EdgeRouter Lite will now also be the device that will be securing your in-home network, so you will need to ensure that its internal firewall is enabled and that you have security policies configured and working properly for both IPv4 and IPv6.

And if one of the Devices is a wireless router. And I would need to setup the Wireless router to do DHCPv6-PD? And it should have the IPv6 address and the device that connect to this wireless router would get the IPv6 address too? I guess I would need this for the Ignite TV?

If you are using this Wi-Fi  router just to provide wireless access within your home, I would actually configure it as  a Wi-Fi access point.  Some routers have a specific configuration option for this that disables routing and firewall functionality, DHCP, etc. and bridges the WAN and LAN segments together.  Those that don't have a "bridge" or "AP mode" usually have a support page on their corporate web site that provide steps on how to do this manually.  If you leave this device configured as a router and place it behind your EdgeRouter, you could still run into weird issues, and Ignite TV may not work properly either, especially if you get into a situation where IPv6 connectivity is only half-working.

Currently, I am still in non-bridge mode, and my devices, either a Windows computer or wireless router, are not getting IPv6 address from EdgeRouter Lite. I would like to make sure I have everything setup correctly before trying to turn on bridge mode. Which I currently not sure if I have the EdgeRouter setup correctly.

You are experiencing these problems because you have multiple router/firewalls cascaded, so you would be better off testing with the simple configuration that I proposed.

Thank you in advance. And sorry for all the dumb questions...

Good luck with getting this all working.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@toolcubed wrote:

Question - do the Ignite TV boxes absolutely need IPv6 or will they work fine with just IPv4?

I have never tested Ignite TV with an IPv4-only network configuration, so I can't say with 100% certainty, but I don't think that it will work fine.  The only Ignite TV configuration that Rogers supports is to have the Ignite (XB6) modem in gateway mode, not bridge mode, and there is no way to disable IPv6 on the XB6 itself.  Furthermore, if IPv6 connectivity "breaks" for whatever reason, I know that the Ignite set-top boxes will fall back to IPv4 but you will run into weird issues, such as channel changes taking several seconds.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Thanks.

@57 Yes, I’m aware of the MS issues. We received a communication from our MS account rep at work but apparently it’s sporadic. For my wife and I, the problems occur whenever we have IPv6 enabled. I can easily reproduce the issue. It was the same issue a few months ago and back then, I did the same thing to fix the problem - disabled IPv6 and we were good to go. I re-enabled it a few days ago to test...it’s still a problem.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@toolcubed wrote:

I've been struggling to decide whether or not to go thru with my Ignite migration, and based on a few things I've learned about the platform over the last few weeks, I'm leaning towards cancelling it and just keeping my legacy digital cable services...but I'm not 100% on that yet.  However, this week I noticed something that could be a huge show-stopper for me migrating to Ignite.  Up until a few days ago, I had IPv6 disabled on my Asus RT-AC68U router which I'm using with a CODA-4582 modem in bridge mode.  Everything was working flawlessly until I decided to re-enable IPv6 a few days ago.  Ever since then, my wife and I have had problems with MS Teams and Outlook on our work computers.  With IPv6 enabled, we drop MS Teams calls every few mins, and Outlook frequently refuses to connect to our Exchange servers.  As soon as I disabled IPv6 on the router today, boom! - everything worked well again.  I'm not sure if it's a problem on Rogers' end or if it's my Asus router because I have not tested using the CODA-4582 exclusively (and obviously with IPv6 enabled) without my Asus router.

After enabling IPv6 on your router, did you reboot your router, then reboot your computer?

Also, when you started running into issues with IPv6 enabled, did you try testing your connectivity with any of the following sites?

https://en.internet.nl

https://ipv6-test.com

http://test-ipv6.com

... and test IPv6/IPv4-fallback with the following?

http://he.test-ipv6.com

If all of the above tests okay, could your problems be due to a configuration issue on your corporate network, VPN client, etc. ... something that would cause your computer to believe that it has IPv6 connectivity to a host on your corporate network when in fact you have IPv6-related brokenness somewhere on the network path?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Have had a few days to play around with things some more. XB6 is in Bridge Mode, Linksys is setup as per the settings listed on another post, everything IS working, internet, set top boxes etc, but it doesn't look like my router is getting an IPV6 address when I go and check the settings I see of course my router have an IPV4 address, but the IPV6 is blank. When I do an ipconfig /all on my computer, i do see a Link-local IPv6 Address, does that mean things are working correctly then? I guess if everything is working correctly, I'm good LOL. I did try also the URLs listed for testing IPV6

No IPv6 address detected

You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 Internet only. You will not be able to reach IPv6-only sites.

To ensure the best Internet performance and connectivity, ask your ISP about native IPv6.

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have IPv6 Internet access.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Fookaroo  Your computer definitely does not have IPv6 Internet connectivity.  It's interesting that you do not experience any problems with Ignite TV.  (The issues that I saw were the result of IPv6-brokenness, where the Ignite set-top boxes thought that they had IPv6 connectivity, then didn't handle it well when it did not work.  I've never tested in an IPv4-only configuration.)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah I mean everything is working great, no lag on any of the 3 boxes we have, DVR works fine, and every device in the house is working on the wifi lol
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Fookaroo wrote:
Yeah I mean everything is working great, no lag on any of the 3 boxes we have, DVR works fine, and every device in the house is working on the wifi lol

That's good to know.  I'm also glad to hear that this setup is working well for you.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@-G- Yes, I rebooted both my router and cable modem after enabling IPv6. I tested on “test-ipv6.com” and it was fine. We don’t require VPN access for work. We connect directly to our Azure AD. Also, doubt it’s a corporate network config issue because my wife has exactly the same problems with her Teams and Outlook on her work laptop. She works for a different company. Unless both corporate networks are misconfigured but that would be some coincidence. What I haven’t done yet is try to use Teams and Outlook at a different location (e.g. my parents’ house) to rule out any slim possibility that this is a local Rogers issue or a problem with my router.