Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

Hi @rookie8155

You are most welcome! 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you 😊!

Cheers 

RogersNiki

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks. If reset does not do the job then there is no option left. Unless Rogers Support knows to connect to it from their side?
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rookie8155  I have every confidence that you will be able to regain access to the XB6 by performing a factory reset using the Paper Clip Method.

There's no need to disconnect your Orbi but you will need to release/renew the DHCP lease on your Orbi's WAN interface after the reset is complete.  When you see a 10.0.0.x IP address on the Orbi's WAN interface, you should then be able to log into the XB6 again at http://10.0.0.1 using the default login/password of "admin/password".

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for your advice. I will give it a try.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have never tried changing the IP addressing for the Local LAN interface on the XB6 gateway and THEN putting it into bridge mode.  It's logical that if I changed the IP address to 192.168.50.1 that this would continue to stick in bridge mode, as other settings do.

I have always been careful not to configure overlapping/conflicting IP address spaces on any devices.  I have tested setups such as:

WiFi mesh -- Router -- XB6

Avoiding address space conflicts allows me to put any of those devices into either "gateway mode" or "bridge mode" without anything breaking.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Actually, I changed DHCP settings on XB6 when I switched to Gateway mode and made Orbi router Access Point to keep the uniformity of my IP range in my house because I have some devices with static IP. But when I changed back to Bridge Mode, I did not change the IP range in the XB6 thinking it will not matter because it is going to be in bridge mode.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rookie8155  Thanks for posting your experience here, even if it was a pain to fix.  We're all exploring new (and totally unsupported) territory in this thread and documenting our findings, and lessons learned, as we go along.

I hope that your network is back up and working normally again.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

You are very welcome.
I did RESET on XB6 but it did not do anything.
So, I connected my laptop with ethernet cable to XB6 modem/router. Finally, I figured out that internal IP on XB6 in Bridge mode would be the same as I set it up earlier in Gateway Mode. Yes, I was right. I was able to connect with 192.168.50.1 IP. But I could not change this IP because it is in Bridge Mode. So I left it as it is because now I know the IP to connect to it.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I would like to add one more thing here. XB6  hard reset does not reset admin password. I think reset does not do anything except a reboot of the device. It did not change any settings.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rookie8155 wrote:

I would like to add one more thing here. XB6  hard reset does not reset admin password. I think reset does not do anything except a reboot of the device. It did not change any settings.

Did you press the reset button using a paper clip and keep it depressed, and release it only when the white status LED on top goes out, the internal fan turn off and the modem reboots?  I have only had to do it on a few occasions but every time, this procedure has performed a complete and total reset of the unit.

A few other people have also reported that the reset procedure did not work for them, then reported success after they realized that they had not been holding the reset button down long enough and had released it too soon.