cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There have been many questions in the Rogers Community Forums lately from users who have switched to Ignite TV and now wish to enable Bridge Mode on the Ignite modem/gateway and use Ignite TV with their own routers and Wi-Fi access points.  The Ignite TV service is actually pretty flexible and works great with a wide range of 3rd-party networking equipment.  That said, Rogers cannot troubleshoot problems or provide any level of support for these configurations so I'm creating this thread so that we, as a community, can support each other.

I recently posted some configuration tips for setting up your own router for use with the Ignite TV service and (time permitting) will post a more comprehensive step-by-step guide.  However, I still don't recommend using Ignite TV in any unsupported configuration unless you have moderately-advanced networking skills and can troubleshoot problems on your own.  Also, if any technical issues should arise, you need to be able to put your Ignite TV components back into their originally-installed supportable configuration before contacting Rogers for technical support.

*** Edited Labels *** 

280 REPLIES 280

Re: Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lavalamps wrote:

I have set the wan as static to match the ignite modem, ipv4 now shows up correctly in the secondary modem yet still no Internet

For your router's WAN (Internet) settings, you should be using Auto/DHCP for IPv4.  With Bridge Mode enabled on the XB6, you should be obtaining a public registered IPv4 address, not an RFC1918 address for private networks.

You also must not use 10.0.0.x/24 for the Internal LAN address on your router, nor should you add any routes or secondary addresses on the WAN interface in order to reach 10.0.0.1 for connections to the Rogers modem.  The XB6 will route network connections to this address internally.

lavalamps
I plan to stick around

I went in to secondary router and had to set ipv6 settings and everything started to work after a reboot.

Thanks for the help

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lavalamps wrote:

I believe on my secondary modem I need to allow IPV6 passthrough.

Can anyone assist with settings needed in here?

IPv6
Enable  Disable
IPv6 Type
 Native IPv6 from ISP DHCPv6 with Prefix Delegation 6in4 Static Tunnel 
Prefix Length
Static DNS 1
Static DNS 2
Assigned / Routed Prefix
Router IPv6 Address
MTU

You should be using "DHCPv6 with Prefix Delegation" with a Prefix Length of 64

FYI: A Rogers Network Engineer also posted IPv6 setup tips for various routers here.

Also, my basic tips for setting up your own router for use with Ignite TV can be found here.

lavalamps
I plan to stick around

thanks for the help, up and running now.

I'm here a lot

Thank you for the quick responses. I have followed your advice on the correct order to reboot everything, plus, I've also updated my router's firmware as well. To confirm, yes, I do have the Rogers XB6 gateway enabled for Bridge Mode (ie: no firewall/Wifi from the Rogers modem). And unfortunately my problem persists, literally within 3-to-4 minutes of turning my TV on (after rebooting everything), it began to drop audio & pause randomly. I've been digging through every possible log I can find and here's some things that caught my attention:

Feb 8 14:41:07 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.
Feb 8 14:41:08 nat: apply redirect rules
Feb 8 14:41:12 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Feb 8 14:41:16 kernel: DROP IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x src=xx.xx.xx.xx DST=99.235.xx.xx LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=243 ID=1391 PROTO=TCP SPT=47949 DPT=29226 SEQ=27699xxxxx ACK=0 WINDOW=1024 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
Feb 8 14:41:17 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
Feb 8 14:41:17 rc_service: wanduck 7246:notify_rc restart_wan_if 0
Feb 8 14:41:22 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)

That's a 5-second disconnect and it appears this is happening frequently. I am going to contact Rogers support to ask for help with this.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-20  It's possible that it could also be a bug/issue with your router.  For example, I remember seeing similar reports from ASUS router customers that their WAN interface was going up and down like a yo-yo when DDNS was enabled.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-20 what router do you have and what firmware version is currently loaded on the router?

Have you tried a different ethernet cable between the modem and the router?  Is that cable a commercially produced cable, or does part of the total cable run from modem to router use any house ethernet cabling?

I'm here a lot

Thank you @-G- 

@-G- wrote:

@-20  It's possible that it could also be a bug/issue with your router.  For example, I remember seeing similar reports from ASUS router customers that their WAN interface was going up and down like a yo-yo when DDNS was enabled.

I am not using any DDNS. And I'm not trying to point fingers, but I've never had a single issue like this, prior to connecting up with Ignite.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-20  I have a fallback plan in place where I can take all of my own equipment out of the network and revert back to a supportable configuration literally within seconds.  At the very least, you need to confirm whether or not everything works in the as-installed configuration before calling Rogers for support.

jani7
I've been around

Before I make the leap to Ignite:

I would still like to keep using a couple of wired desktop computers that don't have WiFi.

Using Gateway Mode, can I plug my TP-Link 8 port unmanaged switch into the modem's LAN port and then plug my 2 desktop computers into the Switch? Would they work well?

I would use the modem's WiFi this way, remove my router from the network, making things simple and using a Rogers supported configuration.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That should work.  However, if you run a NAS, or swap files between computers, the modem might not play as well as your router.  So, that is something to look for.  

There is also the question of differences in the wifi performance between the modem and the router.  That really depends on the age of the router and the features that you use, which might not be found in the modem.  

So the short answer is yes it should work, but, look for differences in use and performance in order to arrive at any conclusion as to which is better. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jani7 wrote:

Before I make the leap to Ignite:

I would still like to keep using a couple of wired desktop computers that don't have WiFi.

Using Gateway Mode, can I plug my TP-Link 8 port unmanaged switch into the modem's LAN port and then plug my 2 desktop computers into the Switch? Would they work well?

I would use the modem's WiFi this way, remove my router from the network, making things simple and using a Rogers supported configuration.

I agree, that should work.  The Rogers install tech can probably also provide you with a small LAN switch as well at no charge.

I'm here a lot

I want to post an update to say "my issues have been resolved" (yahoo). Thank you to this forum and all of the very helpful members who did help a lot (even though I was frustrated)   😉

The solution was not 100% what I originally intended, and honestly, I'm just happy it's consistently working now. I had to reset the Ignite modem and leave bridge mode turned off (basically I didn't tweak this from the reset default). Essentially I'm running two networks, where one is exclusively for the Ignite Modem & my Ignite TV boxes only, and then I have a second network where my Wifi/router/firewall is serving + protecting the rest of my private LAN devices. Everything has been solid with no internet disconnects, TV signals have been solid, and my kids are not complaining! That was the most challenging part. Essentially don't enable bridge mode and if desired, just disable the 2.4/5GHz networks within Ignite so you can continue to use your own private WiFi setup. Thanks again & hope this helps others.

dougjp
I plan to stick around

Glad to hear you got everything working fine, but we don't know exactly how amidst all these dire warnings of instability and lack of support! And are completely confused. Perhaps plug your router ethernet into the LAN port on the modem but don't enable bridge mode and that's all there is to it?

Then  if desired, you say just disable the 2.4/5GHz networks in  Ignite? So after that is done, the Ignite TV is supposed to work just fine? I truly don't understand!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-20  I was re-reading your previous posts, including this one in another thread.  Before you got things working again, what did your previous configuration look like?  If it was something like:

XB6 (in bridge mode) --- LAN Switch --- Ignite TV set-top boxes + Router (connected either to switch port or to XB6 LAN port #2)

... then that would explain why you were running into all of these problems.  With Bridge Mode enabled on the XB6, your set-top boxes (along with your router) would have all been connected directly to the public Internet, not behind a firewall/router.  So... not only would your set-top boxes have been totally unprotected (and NOT meant to be connected this way) but you are also limited as to how many MAC addresses can obtain public IP addresses and access the public Internet directly, so all of your devices would have been constantly losing connectivity.

StyNkickz
I've been around
Yes! This is just what I have been going through the last couple of weeks and the Ignite XB6 has been a nightmare. I have an Asus RT5300 router and have put my XB6 in bridge mode yet still the WiFi is running on the XB6. It will not turn the WiFi off, it just hides the SSID's. This is rediculous as I had my modem and own router next to each other but I cannot do that since the signals are causing massive interference so I have had to move the gateway to the lower part of my house which helps somewhat. The XB6 is still using all antennas and channels for 2.4 and 5ghz. The techs were baffled and the final answer from them was that. We don't manufacture the router and only Comcast would be able to add that feature of turning off wifi all together maybe on a new model when it's released.
Unreal. I have even tried the XB6 running everything on my network without the use of my powerhouse AC5300 router and the XB6 can't keep up. It overheats, randomly reboots just the WiFi or the entire router at least 4 times a day and streaming UHD or 4k is glitchy. Even if I go to check the logs of the router to see what has happened or find the cause, the logs are entirely gone after resetting. Absolutely garbage.
Rogers needs to actually find a product that is stable and dependable and it be fully tested before distributing to customers. Now I am fed up and still have issues with this XB6 but Rogers has no clue of what to do. As usual.

dougjp
I plan to stick around

I asked this some time ago but didn't get, or perhaps understand, any reply. Perhaps I should have started a new thread under a different heading, but my question seems to be pertinent to many posting here and tons of people in my position.

This applies to someone currently using the digital platform with their own router, who is considering switching to Ignite. They want to continue as it is now (without any problems). They currently hard wire a few desktops and a powerline into their router.

What if the XB6 is left in gateway mode and the existing router is turned into an access point, AND its wifi turned off too, if possible. Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REiL6r00GC8

Is it not possible, even desirable? Shouldn't a tech installing Ignite be able to do this or walk the customer through it, seeing as how it appears to be the key solution to converting people to Ignite?

Yes, its possible to install the Ignite TV system and include existing routers, as you're pointing out.  I suspect the reason that it's not done is that the techs won't be familiar with all of the various types of routers, even if this is a simple procedure, and, the routers are probably considered as being customer owned equipment, where the customer is responsible for the router's installation and operation.  That keeps any problems with the routers and their operation as a customer responsibility, not a Rogers responsibility, which in the end means tech time, which translates to company costs.  Speculation on my part, but, at the end of the day, the bottom line rules the day.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dougjp wrote:

What if the XB6 is left in gateway mode and the existing router is turned into an access point, AND its wifi turned off too, if possible.

Is it not possible, even desirable? Shouldn't a tech installing Ignite be able to do this or walk the customer through it, seeing as how it appears to be the key solution to converting people to Ignite?

Sure, you can do this.  A number of people are using their own Wi-Fi Access Points (or mesh networks in bridge mode) and leaving the XB6 in Gateway mode with Wi-Fi disabled.  There is even another thread dedicated to this: Ignite-TV/Rogers-Ignite-TV-Alternate-wifi-connection-possibilities

As part of your Ignite TV installation, Rogers will provide you with Wi-Fi coverage for all areas where you have an Ignite TV set-top box installed.  They will typically try to place the XB6 in a central location and then use Pods to extend coverage, if required.  However, things get tricky when it comes to connecting the XB6 to your in-home telephone wiring, especially if you have a monitored home alarm system that needs to be able to seize the telephone line.

In many cases, the best location to place the XB6 is in the basement, next to the electrical panel, where the cable and telephone lines enter the home.  However, that is also usually the worst location for a Wi-Fi access point.

In my opinion, the ideal solution is to install the XB6 in the basement and use external Wi-Fi Access Point(s) positioned so that they provide optimal Wi-Fi coverage within the main living space.

The downside to this configuration is that you are adding your own equipment into the mix.  If you should ever run into technical problems, Rogers Tech Support will first want to you revert back to a standard, known, supported configuration while they troubleshoot.

Hi, would you please share with me how you achieved that?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Sila wrote:

Hi, would you please share with me how you achieved that?

Hi, and welcome to the Community!

Sorry, who are you asking how they achieved what exactly?  If there something in particular that you are trying to get working or need assistance with?