Using a VCR with ignite TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Using a VCR with ignite TV

I admit it, I'm old school and have been using a VCR to record shows off TV; even with a digital box. My family recently got Ignite TV and the person who installed it said that while I could still use the VCR to watch tapes, I couldn't record unless I bought additional hardware.

The last couple days I've been looking around and got a HDMI to RCA adapter but I haven't gotten it to work yet.

My TV is a Toshiba CT-90325 (according to the remote). The VCR/DVD combo is a Toshiba SE-R0323 (also according to the remote)

I know that Ignite has the Cloud, but there's only limited space and it deletes after a year.

If I can't convert the VCR, is there a way to transfer what's on the cloud to a DVD-R/VHS tape?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Using a VCR with ignite TV

The Rogers box is probably sending a signal (say 1080P/4K) that is not acceptable to the HDMI to RCA (Composite video and analogue audio I assume) converter.  Since DVDs and VHS are 480i (SD) (actually standard VHS is closer to 240i, with S-VHS approaching 400i in terms of ultimate resolution), set the output format of the Rogers box under settings to 480i whenever you wish to record from the cloud by hitting "play" on the box and "record" on the VCR.  That should work. 

Why anyone would want to record to VHS in this day and age difficult to understand. The quality is so poor (240i vs 2160P).  Most programming is available somewhere on the web in better quality, or repeated somewhere on "TV".  The only time it might come in handy is if you have something personal that you'd like to keep.

The model number you gave is for the remote, so that isn't helpful.  If the "combo" can record to DVDs, then that would give you better picture quality than VHS, but, IIRC most of these combo units recorded to VHS, not to the DVD.  DVD might be acceptable quality if it records.  You could also get a DVD recorder for next to nothing somewhere because almost no-one uses them any more.

I've Been Here Awhile

I read somewhere you can download the content of the Cloud onto your device. Would it work with laptops? If so, I could just record on the Cloud and then download it to my laptop. (I'll seriously consider an external drive for my shows)

Also, I don't believe I can record on the DVD part of my VCR/DVD combo.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Check out the following link for the Ignite App (and downloads). The downloads expire after 30 days and I'm pretty sure you cannot download to a Laptop - probably only a compatible tablet or phone.

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/using-the-ignite-tv-app

A further search for the Ignite App seems to indicate that you can stream on a computer and laptop via a compatible browser, I don't believe you can download.  However, long term downloads are not allowed anyway so it won't meet your needs...  See the following link for more information on Ignite Apps.

https://www.rogers.com/customer/search?searchTerm=ignite%20app