cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Profiles Available in Ignite TV App?

kpeglum
I plan to stick around

Hi:  Does the Ignite TV app support creating user profiles like Netflix?  Would be nice to be able to set up different favourites list for different users!  Thanks.  Gary

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: User Profiles Available in Ignite TV App?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kpeglum wrote:

Hi:  Does the Ignite TV app support creating user profiles like Netflix?  Would be nice to be able to set up different favourites list for different users!  Thanks.  Gary

Ignite TV does not support multiple user profiles... at least not yet.  I, personally, have mixed feelings about such a feature.

It could allow each profile to have their own favourite channel lists, maintain individual history of content watched on live TV, on-demand, and on supported streaming services... and allow for more personalized recommendations.  It would be even better if there was an online portal where you could manage, and either partially or totally clear viewing history.  Would be better still if users could opt out of their viewing behaviour being tracked.

Other IPTV platforms either do support multiple user profiles or are actively working on this.  (I don't know what Xfinity could enable or what they are working on.)  Some platforms support multiple viewer profiles but don't respect the users' privacy, don't allow them to manage their history, and don't allow users to opt out of being tracked.  Researchers are taking things a step further: gathering viewership data by tracking the (Wi-Fi and Bluetooth) device IDs of nearby mobile devices, gathering viewership data based on groupings of nearby mobile devices, etc., and then using this data to deliver targeted ads on TV through Dynamic Ad Insertion and on the mobile devices themselves.  BDUs could also further monetize their user base by selling ad and content viewership data for profit.

Canadian privacy laws would protect users to a certain extent but my point is that individual user profiles could be both a blessing and a curse.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Not sure about creating the profiles form within the Ignite TV Netflix app, you may need to do that from the web interface.

But the Ignite TV Netflix app does support multiple profiles. We have 4 profiles for our Netflix and they present themselves when we go into the app.

Good Luck

Bill

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kpeglum wrote:

Ignite TV does not support multiple user profiles... at least not yet.  I, personally, have mixed feelings about such a feature.

It could allow each profile to have their own favourite channel lists, maintain individual history of content watched on live TV, on-demand, and on supported streaming services... and allow for more personalized recommendations.  It would be even better if there was an online portal where you could manage, and either partially or totally clear viewing history.  Would be better still if users could opt out of their viewing behaviour being tracked.

Other IPTV platforms either do support multiple user profiles or are actively working on this.  (I don't know what Xfinity could enable or what they are working on.)  Some platforms support multiple viewer profiles but don't respect the users' privacy, don't allow them to manage their history, and don't allow users to opt out of being tracked.  Researchers are taking things a step further: gathering viewership data by tracking the (Wi-Fi and Bluetooth) device IDs of nearby mobile devices, gathering viewership data based on groupings of nearby mobile devices, etc., and then using this data to deliver targeted ads on TV through Dynamic Ad Insertion and on the mobile devices themselves.  BDUs could also further monetize their user base by selling ad and content viewership data for profit.

Canadian privacy laws would protect users to a certain extent but my point is that individual user profiles could be both a blessing and a curse.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

So I guess this is not profiles? rps20200122_225950.jpg

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Biollw  Sure, but I think you misread the initial post.  The question was whether Ignite TV itself (and the Ignite TV App) supports multiple user profiles, like Netflix does.

kpeglum
I plan to stick around

Hi:  Thanks for the informative reply!  I couldn't agree more on the privacy issues that you've raised. I still remember laughing when the US 3 letter agencies were explaining that it's just metadata.... :-).  However, i just treat all my online browsing, etc as "non-private".  Even using VPN is a risk, since you have to trust your VPN provider.  It IS creepy though, when the ads on my Yahoo page show products for the same items that I was browsing on Amazon.  Gary

kpeglum
I plan to stick around

Yes, I was referring to Ignite TV, not Netflix.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kpeglum wrote:

It IS creepy though, when the ads on my Yahoo page show products for the same items that I was browsing on Amazon.  Gary

It would be even creepier if you were to start seeing ads on your phone reflecting content or sponsors' ads that you are seeing on TV... or seeing ads dynamically inserted into TV content based on your recent web browsing or past TV viewing history.

Right now, the IPTV middleware providers are selling the ability to perform detailed analytics on viewership data but this is evolving into enabling BDUs to perform more invasive tracking and to further monetize their data sets.

To Rogers' credit, their privacy policy isn't overly alarming.  I'm hoping that it stays this way.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor
I sure did misread it. Sorry.

Spirit
I've been around

Just got Ignite TV, and absolutely do not understand why there are NO USER PROFILES.

My husband would pick NEWS & SPORTS as his favourites, I - MOVIES.

Also - when a show is noted as "watched", it means - ONE PERSON - has watched it - NOT the whole family.

User Profiles in Ignite TV seem absolutely essential.

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 4 in conversation