Understand how Ignite TV (Comcast-based) home phone works

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Understand how Ignite TV (Comcast-based) home phone works

Hi,

I used Rogers several years ago (Scientific Atlanta/Cisco cable boxes + Arris TM402G for home phone) for my home.  I later migrated to Bell.  Recently I am contemplating in moving away from Bell, and Ignite TV is one of the services I'm looking at (in addition to other IPTV-based providers from 3rd party Rogers TPIAs.)

I was at a Rogers store (SQ1) and asked about the new Ignite TV service, particular home phone.  When I asked the staff at the Rogers store, his person said it is a "wireless home phone" service, in which I asked him to clarify whether this is "cell tower to analog phone" device and he said yes (in which I personally find it hard to believe).  I further asked him specifics about how details on cabling; he did not elaborate and simply said "the technician takes care of everything." 

Then I read other comments here on this board that it is not "wireless" home phone but the analog phone line comes out of the cable modem/router.

So I want to ask the following:  is home phone coming from Ignite TV coming from the cable modem/router, or is it provided as "wireless home phone" (cell tower)?

Also, I have ADT alarm that is connected analog phone line (and previously to the Arris TM402G when I was with Rogers.)   Does home phone service provided via Ignite TV service compatible with home alarm systems?

Thanks.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Understand how Ignite TV (Comcast-based) home phone works

@rgl168 wrote:

Hi,

I used Rogers several years ago (Scientific Atlanta/Cisco cable boxes + Arris TM402G for home phone) for my home.  I later migrated to Bell.  Recently I am contemplating in moving away from Bell, and Ignite TV is one of the services I'm looking at (in addition to other IPTV-based providers from 3rd party Rogers TPIAs.)

I was at a Rogers store (SQ1) and asked about the new Ignite TV service, particular home phone.  When I asked the staff at the Rogers store, his person said it is a "wireless home phone" service, in which I asked him to clarify whether this is "cell tower to analog phone" device and he said yes (in which I personally find it hard to believe).  I further asked him specifics about how details on cabling; he did not elaborate and simply said "the technician takes care of everything." 

Then I read other comments here on this board that it is not "wireless" home phone but the analog phone line comes out of the cable modem/router.

So I want to ask the following:  is home phone coming from Ignite TV coming from the cable modem/router, or is it provided as "wireless home phone" (cell tower)?

Also, I have ADT alarm that is connected analog phone line (and previously to the Arris TM402G when I was with Rogers.)   Does home phone service provided via Ignite TV service compatible with home alarm systems?

Thanks.

I have Ignite TV with the phone as well and have a Honeywell home security system, certainly not ADT. I had my main board swapped out for a newer board and it connects using the Internet. Works perfectly.  I opted for internet based because regulars POTS line with Bell was just getting too expensive for just using it for security system. 

You can also have cell line connection with security systems as well. I believe that is extra charges though.

My Ignite internet is 99% up time so there is no problem with the security connectivity. Also, my educated guess, if your security system is phone based that there would be no problems as well, though I have not tried it. Faxing works fine as well with the Ignite phone system.

I would check with ADT regarding what connections can be used with your system. It is well worth it if it is internet based along with app to go along with it.

Good Luck

Bill

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Understand how Ignite TV (Comcast-based) home phone works

The phone system is DEFINITELY not cellular.

Its pretty much the exact same as you had before.  Its a form of VOIP modem, its just built into the modem, rather than a separate.