cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorized movie purchase

Jmacmillan
I've been around

Today, I discovered a movie purchase charged to my account on November 27, 2021 at 8:53 pm. I called Rogers but told it had been authorized by my pin. But I never set a pin. Furthermore, the movie is a horror film which I have no interest in. No one had access to my remote. It looks like security breach. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this issue.

*** Edited Labels ***

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Unauthorized movie purchase

RogersMoin

Hello, @Jmacmillan.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 😃

Thank you for your post; it's surely bothersome to see an unexpected charge on your bill. You can rent or purchase movies only through the Ignite TV Box. It's recommended to set the purchase PIN by going to Settings on your Ignite TV Box. You can follow the instructions listed on our support portal

Community - can you share your On Demand movie purchase experience?

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I would check on your myrogers, under the TV section, and make sure that there are only the boxes you have at your house on there.  (just to double ensure there is not another added to your account somehow).

I think by default, the pin is 0000 ???  So its fairly easy for someone to do it within the household.  
Heck, someone sitting on the remote the right way, might be enough for it to do it, lol.

Lynn13
I've been around
I just discovered 2 movies charged to my brother’s account Dec 14 & Dec 30. He is a senior and has no idea how to order movies. It is not like it is just a mistaken push of a button. It takes several steps to order and he would be unable to do it. Rogers does not believe it is a billing error or worse (hacked). Something is wrong but I don’t know how I can prove it as the assumption is the customer is wrong

Mimi10
I've been around

This has happened to my 80 year old mother except her charges were in the amount of close to $3000.00 for just movies!!!! I have spoken to many departments at Rogers and they claim this never happens and they can't explain to me how this is happening. My mom has never rented movies in her 15 years as a Rogers customer nor does she know how.  I hope you get some answers before your bill adds up to what my mom has paid 

sumitd
I've been here awhile

This happened to me this month. The agent was constantly implying that I was lying. I don't even use the smart stream service. The box is just there because that's the only way they could give me one of their promotions. But there's no way to prove, and now I am worried, rogers will add such fake charges every month, and there's no way to fight them. Did you manage to get this reversed?

RandomStudent
I've been around

Summary:
I am not given the ability to even speak to back office to resolve a charge problem. I get that with our contradicting evidences, someone has to take a lost. However, I don't think it is fair if the consumer is charged for something that they have not consumed, especially when I have proof that the content was not purchased/consumed from my end. It is also ridculous that I was told I had the power to prove myself, only to be disregarded at the end.

Full Story:
I was charge for a UFC PPV for $65 on Feb 12, which I did not believe anyone in my family could have purchased. So I called Rogers to run an investigation. Initially, I gave them the benefit of doubt that maybe someone by mistake made the purchase from my IgniteTV box. So I told them to run an investigation on their end and they told me to run one from my end. Great, no problem!

I called again for updates as I found evidence from Purchase History from ignitetv.rogers.com/purchases as it shows that there is nothing in Purchase history. I was told back office has not finished investigating the case yet. So good so far.

I called again as I was not hearing any status updates. They said that their evidence points to the system saying the PPV purchase was made on the cable box, thus a charge back was declined. So I told them of my own evidence that had different results. I was repeated several times over and over that this is the case is concluded with their own evidence, while disregarding my findinds. Wow. Finally, they offered to run an investigation again with my findings and email me within 48 hours. I was reluctant at first since I wanted to send the screenshots of the purchase history, but I thought if they at least hear of my contradicting evidence, they would contact me personally.

No email after 48 hours, despite what CS said. I called again, and they told me that the investigation was still running at back office. I was also told that purchase history is wiped after 30 days of the last purchase. Great my screenshot is from Mar 9th! When I told them that my screenshot is within 30 days, they told me to hold onto it until after a week, since back office is still running the investigation. They also told me that I could gather more evidence for myself if I went home to check the PIN History on my cable box. Great, there's hope.

A week has gone by. No email response. I called them again and I told them about the PIN history and purchase history photos I gathered. Again, I was told that back office declined the credit charge back based on their own evidence alone. So, I wasted my time? I was forwarded to Escalations after, and they told me the exact same thing. I mentioned my photos and they said photos can't be sent to back office, and even if they could, it would not do anything. What the?

Online chat support also gave me the same response, despite me sending them a link to a drive with the photos I took. They said they can't forward it to back office. They also offered to send a transcript of the conversation, which they never did.

Is there anyway I can get my money back (legally) and be compensated for the time wasted? I've also wrote my scenario in Share-A-Concern, but that got sent to Escalations again.

Kmdean
I've been here awhile
Was charged for the ‘purchase’ of one movie in February and another in March that we would never rent nor own. Customer Service told me no PIN was required, but suggested I set up one. Wouldn’t reverse charges as purchase made on our tv.
Escalated to supervisor who said the same thing. Suggested that even if done in error, charges would stick.
Insisted that it be escalated further, and reluctantly had ticket sent to ‘Office of the President’. No phone number provided but yoke would receive call back in three business days.
Don’t understand this, why can’t the unwatched movies be deleted and refunded? Why doesn’t their system default to having a pin? Lots of aggravation, for something easily resolved.

Kmdean
I've been here awhile
Update: was able to get 3/4 of the cost of the movies charged to me back to my account.
Two take always: set up a pin to avoid unauthorized purchases. Escalate to next level if you have a fair concern.
Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 8 in conversation