cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect Ignite TV service to Plasma TV

A_Fellow_Man
I'm here a lot

Hi, I just converted to Ignite TV and the tech dropped off 3 tv boxes. I tried to hook one up to my 15 year old Pioneer Plasma TV (PDP-5060HD) that has its own media receiver box (which is the only way to connect to the TV panel through the Pioneer receiver). The Pioneer receiver has 2 HDMI terminals. 

When I connect to the Ignite box, it shows the Welcome message and I also hear a ticking sound from my speakers. The message stays on for about 20 secs and then the screen flickers and it goes blank. During the flicker, my screen shows the input as 1080i and this usually comes up when there is a change in the input signal. But there is nothing on the screen. 

The Ignite boxes work ok with my other TVs - one is a 10 yr old Toshiba LCD and another is a brand new Samsung LCD. 

Has anyone had this issue? I don't want to spend money on a new TV as the plasma still works fine and has better picture quality than most new tech LCDs and even OLEDs.

***Added Labels***

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Unable to connect Ignite TV service to Plasma TV

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1. Make sure the firmware on the TV is up to date.

2. Go into the Video Output Settings for the Ignite box and set it to 1080i instead of "auto".  A lot of times the Ignite box doesn't shake hands well with older TVs.

3.  If you can't see the settings, temporarily connect the box to another TV and set it to 1080i.

4. 1080i should work, but if not give 720P or even 480i a try just as a test. 

5. This is a 768P panel.

6. Try both of the inputs.

7. Try a different HDMI cable (from a TV that works)

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@A_Fellow_Man  I have run into problems with some older Plasma TVs refusing to connect to newer equipment over HDMI.  Others have seen the same with Ignite set-top boxes.

If this is an issue with an incompatible resolution being used, you can switch the Ignite set-top box to output 720p using the following key sequence: "Exit Exit Exit 7 2 0"

... and "Exit Exit Exit 1 0 8 0" will switch the output resolution to 1080i.

That magic key sequence is only temporary.  If you find a resolution that works for you, go into "Settings / Device Settings / Video Display / Video Output Resolution" and select that same resolution again (and confirm it) to make that setting permanent.

Thanks, G. For your magic sequence, do I use it when I first boot up the Ignite box and see the Welcome message?

@A_Fellow_Man wrote:

Thanks, G. For your magic sequence, do I use it when I first boot up the Ignite box and see the Welcome message?

No, you would use it after the Ignite set-top box finishes booting up and your TV's screen turns black.

Hi G and 57, it didn't work. I read some comments elsewhere that a potential solution is to get a HDMI to RCA converter so the Ignite box can connect to the component AV terminals on the TV receiver. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks

Although the HDMI to component video converter may work, it is inferior, so I suggest you continue troubleshooting for a bit longer.

1. Did you try all the items I outlined in post 2?

2. Did you try setting another working box on another TV to 1080i and then moving that (working) box and the (working) HDMI cable from the other TV to the problem TV?

3. Sometimes if a port (like HDMI) is not used in a while or never cleaned, then it may become oxidized and have a poor connection.  Unplugging/replugging both ends of the HDMI cable, or swapping ends of the HDMI cable, or using a different input may solve that problem. Some HDMI cables are also designed to only work in one direction.

4. Make sure your "TV receiver box" is also securely connected to the TV. 

5. Are you able to properly connect another device using HDMI to the plasma - like a BD player, game console, etc?

6. You mention a Pioneer Receiver. Is that an AVR in the equation?  Try connecting directly from the Rogers Box to the TV receiver box without the AVR in between.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
I would take the Audio receiver out of the equation, not sure if you done this or not based on the messages im reading and try connecting it, also try forcing it to 720p. its possible it could be a handshake issue

and secondly the converter you want is called HDMI to Component, NOT Hdmi to RCA as RCA could easily be Composite SD output. You can try your luck with those converters but chances are they may not always work, but component input has less problems than hdmi, but it will only work if your TV can read the resolution the rogers box outputs.

@A_Fellow_Man wrote:

Hi G and 57, it didn't work. I read some comments elsewhere that a potential solution is to get a HDMI to RCA converter so the Ignite box can connect to the component AV terminals on the TV receiver. Any thoughts on that?

HDMI converters have been discussed in a few different threads, to resolve problems with an Ignite set-top box not working with an older TV or to connect a Slingbox.  They apparently work great when they do, but I am also a bit surprised that they even do work at all due to HDMI's copy protection capabilities.  (Does Rogers disable HDCP at lower resolutions?  Will Netflix and Prime Video still work if you do not have a fully protected video path, and at what quality?)  Users have also reported problems using some converters with Ignite TV.

At one point, Rogers techs were supplying customers with HDMI to Composite Video converters.  I don't know if they ever had HDMI to Component Video converters in their trucks.  I also don't know what their official support status is either.  Before buying a converter, I would send a Private Message to @CommunityHelps (or call into Tech Support) to see if Rogers is still making them available to customers, or if they can recommend any specific models for you to purchase.

Hi 57, 

Yes I tried your steps except for the firmware update as the model was discontinued in 2006 and I bought mine in 2005. Pioneer is also not in the TV business anymore . Tried looking online but could not find any firmware update.

I moved a working LCD screen next to the plasma and hooked the box to the LCD, changed the signal output to 1080i and then 720p but no joy on either when I swapped the HDMI from the LCD to the plasma. Both HDMI terminals on the TV receiver have been in regular use so I don't think it is an oxidization issue. I also tried both.

Plasma was working fine with the Nextbox and also with my laptop.

But I do have an issue with the PS4. I have always been able to connect the PS4 to the plasma until a few months ago. I thought it was due to a firmware update on the PS4 as it continues to work on my new LCD screen. I didn't think it was an issue with my plasma but now, I don't know as there may be a connection.

AVR is not in equation as the cable signal does not go into the AVR. AVR sits at the end of the setup and only receivers the audio signal from the TV receiver.

Thanks for the clarification on the converter. It may be a cheap solution to try as I want to avoid shelling out $800 for a new LCD that is still inferior to the plasma.

Thanks G. I will call tech support again. On my last call, I did discuss the converter solution and the online tech guy was non-committal but did say he has seen some customers use it. 

@A_Fellow_Man wrote: I moved a working LCD screen next to the plasma and hooked the box to the LCD, changed the signal output to 1080i and then 720p but no joy on either when I swapped the HDMI from the LCD to the plasma.

Did you try connecting a working box from another room and the HDMI Cable from that working box to the Plasma (changing the box to 1080i before moving)?  I'm concerned that there could be an issue with the box or port and/or the HDMI cable that is currently connected to the Plasma.  Yes, I realize that the box and cable worked with your LCD. Just trying to cover all the bases.  This is quite strange.  Have you tried 480i just as a test?

Hi 57, been a busy week so late in replying. I tried all the combinations. Taking a working box, moving it and the same HDMI cable to the plasma and setting it to a lower output resolution that is permitted on the LCD. I  don't know how to force the output resolution to 480 since it is not an option in settings when the box is connected to the LCD.

Thanks for trying. Your plasma should certainly accept 1080i or 720P, so the 480i was just an additional test.  I know where you're coming from with your Plasma comments. I had a 1080P Panasonic Plasma for 7 years but it broke 3 years ago and no one would repair it. I was therefore "forced" to get a 4K LCD, but after optimizing it I was very pleased.  It had more details than my 1080P plasma and even the black levels were as good after proper optimization:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/faq-what-you-need-to-do-to-your-new-hdtv.76161/

Today's TVs are not as bad out of the box as they were 10-15 years ago, however, they still benefit from a proper optimization.   I even optimized several Pioneer Plasmas similar to yours when they first came out, however, at 768P, they are not able to provide the details that a new 4K TV can deliver.  I optimized home theatres for clients for 10 years.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do next.

Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation