cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Control BOTH the TV and the Sound Bar using the Rogers Remote

IBrock
I've been here awhile

Why oh why can't I configure the Rogers Ignite Remote Control (XR15) to control both my RCA Roku TV and Bose Sound Bar?

Here's the play-by-play.
1. I enter the code to control the Roku TV and test it. The TV turns off and on. The Sound Bar doesn't blink. Great!
2. I enter the code to control the Bose Sound Bar and test it. The Sound Bar turns off and on. The TV doesn't blink. Great!
BUT... now the TV doesn't turn off and on anymore. It's as if setting the code for the Sound Bar somehow overwrites the code for controlling the TV.
I don't believe it's a CEC issue - the Sound Bar is connected to the TV via optical cable, not HDMI.

**Labels Added**

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Unable to Control BOTH the TV and the Sound Bar using the Rogers Remote

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Go to the following website. Go to Setup and then add both devices manually using the appropriate codes. The remote should then control both devices. 

https://www.urcsupport.com/urc_product/rogers-xr15/

IBrock
I've been here awhile

Thanks for the quick reply. I did exactly what you suggested. Same result. Setting the code for the Sound Bar seems to overwrite the setting TV. And vice versa. As if they are mutually exclusive. Very frustrating.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Lots of people have this working for a TV and audio device.  I control my TV and AVR.

1. Go to the website I provided.

2. Go to Setup:

3. Follow the instructions for "TV Control" first, getting the code for your TV from the "CodeFinder" on the left side of the website screen (Add New TV).  The main code for RCA TVs is 12746, but if it doesn't work, you need to try all the codes in the list until one works.

4. Then, follow the instructions for "Audio Device Control", getting the code for your device from the "CodeFinder" on the left side of the website screen (Add New Audio).    The main code for Bose is 31629, but if it doesn't work, you'll need to try all the codes in the list until one works.

5. The TV and Audio are programmed separately and do not "overwrite" if programmed properly.

6. Make sure you programme the TV first.

This works for everyone who has two devices with the codes available for the remote. We already know that the codes work independently in your case.

If you can't get it working yourself, provide the instructions to someone else, perhaps a young person?  Sometimes when people have issues, muscle memory takes over and they do the same (incorrect) steps over and over..

Peter-karen
I've been here awhile
If possible connect the soundbar using hdmi-arc. This results that the sound bar comes on using powering on tv ,that’s all I had to do. 🍻

gb1234
I plan to stick around

In order to get the voice remote to both control the volume on my RCA tv and also turn it on and of I had to go to the Proscan Codes and try them almost to the end when finally a code both controlled the tv volume and turned it on and off. Does the TV volume control the sound on your sound bar? If so this may be the fix. In either case for folks with RCA TVs who cant get the RCA codes to work then try the Proscan codes. Hopes this helps some people.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 4 in conversation