Transfer Recording From Digital TV To Ignite TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Transfer Recording From Digital TV To Ignite TV

Are all my previous program recordings transferred at the installation of Ignite.

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Transfer Recording From Digital TV To Ignite TV

No.
They are two very different types of systems.

On the older regular boxes, they were all recorded LOCALLY on the box itself.
vs on Ignite they are stored at the ROGERS side.

If your boxes are owned, as long as you dont un-plug them, they should stay up and running, enough to be able to do playback of what is on them.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gdkitty wrote:  If your boxes are owned, as long as you dont un-plug them, they should stay up and running, enough to be able to do playback of what is on them.

You'll probably need to do more than that. You'll have to disconnect any PVRs from the RF coax feed before calling Rogers to switch.  If you don't any digital boxes you have will likely become deactivated when the Digital Cable Service stops and IgniteTV starts. Of course, you'll also need to leave any PVRs plugged into power, and perhaps on a UPS because they will probably not reboot once you're on Ignite.

It's probably a good idea to watch any digital cable PVR recordings you have before you switch to IgniteTV.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gdkitty wrote:

If your boxes are owned, as long as you dont un-plug them, they should stay up and running, enough to be able to do playback of what is on them.

Let me add to that: Yes, do not un-plug the power cord but you DO need to ensure that the old PVR's cable connection IS disconnected before your Digital TV service gets cancelled.  If you do not do that second part, your PVR will get de-authorized and you no longer be able to view your recordings.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I thank you all for your very helpful info'.

To ask perhaps a silly question, not being expert in these matters, if I am able to keep the nextbox would I be able to play the existing recordings in the Ignite system or would I need a separate system together with a separate TV. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ianmac3 wrote:

I thank you all for your very helpful info'.

To ask perhaps a silly question, not being expert in these matters, if I am able to keep the nextbox would I be able to play the existing recordings in the Ignite system or would I need a separate system together with a separate TV. 

Digital TV and Ignite TV are incompatible with each other so there is no way to use your old Nextbox with your new Ignite TV service.  Also, don't count on being able to watch recordings on your Nextbox indefinitely.  At some point, Murphy's Law will kick in, the Nextbox will reset, and at that point, you will lose access to anything that has been recorded on it... so, for that reason, I would not pay any money to buy it out if you do not own it already.

Which Nextbox PVR do you currently have?  If it has component video outputs and there are recordings that you really want to keep, you could use something like this to archive those recordings to your computer.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A few more comments:

1. If you're renting your current PVR, you will need to return it.

2. Theoretically, you could connect the "old" PVR to another set of inputs on the "same" TV.

3. As mentioned several times, don't count on being able to watch recordings once you no longer have digital cable. The PVR will get deauthorized, or reboot, or something that will preclude watching those recordings.  Watch the recordings before you switch. If the recordings have a lot of meaning to you, then you can copy them to a computer as mentioned above, or to a DVD Recorder (in Standard Definition).  Most programming is available somewhere on the web, so it's extremely rare that you cannot view it somewhere (YouTube, etc)

4. I believe that Rogers is still providing a small credit for boxes if you have purchased them.  You can check at the time of order.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I thank you again for your info' and advice.

I believe I have Nextbox 3 and have noted a video output connection on the back.

I will do my homework re transferring to DVD and / or computer.

Thanks again.