cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer Recording From Digital TV To Ignite TV

ianmac3
I've been here awhile

Are all my previous program recordings transferred at the installation of Ignite.

***Edited Labels***

29 REPLIES 29

Re: Transfer Recording From Digital TV To Ignite TV

mikexp
I plan to stick around

Hmm... it's not a service, it's purchased equipment.  I didn't accept a T&C that said functional ownership would remain with Rogers, I don't recall the purchase agreement stating it could *only* be used with Rogers.  This PVR won't even boot without authorization from Rogers.  And sorry, but the idea of needing to purchase a UPS for it and then disconnect it to prevent de-authorization just seems silly. 

If I understand it, you're saying you don't believe Rogers has a responsibility not to break equipment that we purchase from them?  Not a view I share.

In any case we know nothing is going to happen.  I'm upset but I'll need to live with it.  I'd be ok with sticking with my old service if Rogers hadn't raised my monthly charges so far above the equivalent ignite service.  I can't see how anyone could convince me not to be annoyed. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mikexp wrote:

1. Hmm... it's not a service, it's purchased equipment. 

2. I don't recall the purchase agreement stating it could *only* be used with Rogers. 

3. I can't see how anyone could convince me not to be annoyed. 

1. The equipment will not work without service from Rogers. This has been known from the start.  It is possible to sell your equipment to someone on Rogers Digital Cable, provided you're a customer in good standing.

2. You may not recall, however, that has always been the case.  This equipment will not work outside of Rogers Ontario.

3. Feel free to be annoyed.  We're not stopping you. We're just explaining how things work.

Mazahib_B
I've been around

Is it possible to transfer the recordings from the ignite box to any other device such as a computer!?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Short answer is no, the files are encrypted and cannot be transferred to a computer for viewing.  The files are not on the box, they are in the cloud.

Long answer is you could purchase an HDMI to Component Video/Analogue Audio converter and feed that signal to an HTPC equipped with an Hauppauge PVR using 1080i output format.  This is for "techies".

Another long answer is you could purchase an HDMI to Composite Video/Analogue Audio converter and feed that signal to a DVD recorder, but that would be 480i (SD) quality.

The above paragraphs assume you wish to archive the programming. If you simply wish to watch on a different device for a short period of time, that is possible using Download & Go, see links below.

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/using-download-and-go

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/using-the-ignite-tv-app

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@57 wrote:

Long answer is you could purchase an HDMI to Component Video/Analogue Audio converter and feed that signal to an HTPC equipped with an Hauppauge PVR using 1080i output format.  This is for "techies".

Another long answer is you could purchase an HDMI to Composite Video/Analogue Audio converter and feed that signal to a DVD recorder, but that would be 480i (SD) quality.

On both of these "long" answers, I am wondering if recent devices of this type are smart enough to understand DRM, thus rendering them useless?

I notice that the MS Xbox recorder.... (built into  Windows 10 for recording gaming)....appears to understand DRM and will not record the video (records audio-only) from the  igniteTV.rogers.com feed when played on the PC. 

However, it will quite happily record Youtube videos, etc., so it has to be recognizing some difference, and I am wondering if the devices you specify will, also?????

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ColdGranite wrote: On both of these "long" answers, I am wondering if recent devices of this type are smart enough to understand DRM, thus rendering them useless?

I assume you use DRM as a generic term because the D stands for Digital. Both connections I mentioned are analogue and therefore DRM does not apply.  There is analogue copy protection called CGMS-A, however, it rarely comes into play for TV programming and is also typically easily circumvented by techies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CGMS-A

People have used both methods I outlined with Digital Cable and I see no reason for them not to work on IgniteTV, although it's certainly possible that they would not work.  A lot of the inexpensive converters I mentioned do not "respect" DRM and that signal is "stripped" from the outgoing analogue signal.

If you're using a digital connection like HDMI into a recording device or computer, DRM is usually "respected".

@ColdGranite wrote:

@57 wrote:

On both of these "long" answers, I am wondering if recent devices of this type are smart enough to understand DRM, thus rendering them useless?

I notice that the MS Xbox recorder.... (built into  Windows 10 for recording gaming)....appears to understand DRM and will not record the video (records audio-only) from the  igniteTV.rogers.com feed when played on the PC. 

However, it will quite happily record Youtube videos, etc., so it has to be recognizing some difference, and I am wondering if the devices you specify will, also?????

Some folks have successfully gotten an Ignite set-top box to work with a Slingbox using an HDMI to Component (HD) video converter.  I have not tested any such devices myself but it should be possible to use a similar solution to connect to a Hauppauge HDPVR box.

Rogers install techs also carry HDMI to Composite Video converters (similar to this one ) in their trucks, to allow customers to connect an Ignite set-top box to an older TV.

I know that the Rogers-issued video converters do work (and convert 720p/1080p to anamorphic 480i) but I can't say with any certainty which other converters will or will not work.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Earlier in this thread we discussed how to watch recordings on a digital cable PVR (9865 for example) after a switch to IgniteTV.  Based on feedback from others, you needed to disconnect the PVR from the coax cable before switching to IgniteTV.

I just switched to Ignite and removed the coax the day before, but my 9865 would not work the next morning.  I'm guessing Rogers put some sort of reboot command or similar into the PVR and it tried to reboot overnight. (it was stuck on -01-)  So, make sure you watch all your recordings before switching to IgniteTV or cancelling your service because you likely will not be able to watch them afterwards.  

I had watched all my recordings but two, which I knew were available on-demand.

I'm giving my 9865 to a friend, so the recordings may still be available there once the PVR has been activated on his account.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As noted in the post above, I gave my PVR to my friend who is still on Rogers Legacy Digital service. Once activated, it worked at his home. My recordings were intact and we were able to watch those recordings at his house.

Topic Stats
  • 29 replies
  • 21 Likes
  • 9 in conversation