cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three New Ignite TV boxes - Just Delivered - None power up.

miketk
I'm here a lot

I received my three Ignite TV set-top boxes yesterday - opened up the boxes and plugged in everything as per the instructions.

None of the boxes show a white light on top (which is supposed to happen).

TV screen remains blank - even after a few hours.

I have my Rogers wifi hub up and running - and home phone working.

Rogers tech support did not solve the problem - waiting for technician to show up Sunday...

I plugged the power supplies for the Ignite TV set-top boxes into a power meter - they are NOT drawing any power - 0 W - 0 A - (power meter does work for everything else I plug into it).

Any suggestions?

I don't have anything to test the USB C connectors on the power supplies.

Haven't had the units out of their boxes for 24 hours yet.

Thanks,

**Added Labels**

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Three New Ignite TV boxes - Just Delivered - None power up.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@miketk wrote:

I plugged the power supplies for the Ignite TV set-top boxes into a power meter - they are NOT drawing any power - 0 W - 0 A - (power meter does work for everything else I plug into it).

Just as an FYI, these boxes only use about 4-5 Watts. I'm not sure what you're using to check the power draw, but some Watt meters only register once there is more power draw. Use an extension cord with several outlets, plug it into the Watt meter and plug something else in that uses a bit of power into one outlet of the extension cord, like a CO detector, small light, etc.  Make note of that power draw on the Watt meter.  Then see if the draw goes up by 4-5 Watts when you plug the box into another outlet of that extension cord/power bar.  Make sure the box is connected to the power brick.  I can't conceive of all three being bad.

Do you have anything else like a phone or tablet to make sure that WiFi is working?   Try connecting the box via Ethernet to the Gateway temporarily to check?

Edit: I can't remember the startup instructions, but do you have the remote control "started" by removing the tab from the batteries, etc?

miketk
I'm here a lot

Meter gives me consistent readings on my amazon tablet - 1 W 0.02A - when I unplug and plug it back into the meter.

Meter doesn't even register 0.01A when I plug the Ignite TV box into it - always 0.00.

I tried ethernet connection to my business network - nothing happened - first thought it was "downloading latest software" - left them alone for hours - but the box hadn't gone through the initial setup yet and again, the white light never came on.

Three DOA boxes - possible?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@miketk wrote:

1. I tried ethernet connection to my business network - nothing happened - first thought it was "downloading latest software" - left them alone for hours - but the box hadn't gone through the initial setup yet and again, the white light never came on.

2. Three DOA boxes - possible?

1. Ethernet has to be to the Ignite Gateway.  I assume you can connect to the internet via your WiFi devices like your tablet, phone, computer?  Box should come up right away.  There should be no significant delay.  FYI, white light is not always working on these boxes.

2. Doubtful, but theoretically possible.

3. Did you see my recent comment in my previous post regarding the remote?

miketk
I'm here a lot

I have the Ignite Internet Hub and Ignite TV boxes on my desk.

I have connected the tv box directly to the internet hub using ethernet - no lights flash on the ethernet jack on the wifi hub.

When the wifi hub is connected by ethernet to my network switch - which I'm using right now the ethernet jack on the wifi hub is flashing.

Wifi hub ethernet port is working fine - tv box is not powered up - if I plug an ethernet cable from the tv box into my switch (which is connected to my wifi hub and working) no lights flash ont he network switch - as if an open ended cable is plugged in.

0.00A still on the tv box while I did all of this - remote batteries removed and replaced - facing tv box too.

Puzzling...

miketk
I'm here a lot

Remotes are "fancy" - they light up when you move them - too bad I can't use them as intended.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@miketk wrote:

When the wifi hub is connected by ethernet to my network switch - which I'm using right now the ethernet jack on the wifi hub is flashing.

1. In order to troubleshoot, you must eliminate any equipment that is superfluous to the Gateway, like switches or other routers, etc.   You mentioned "business network" etc.  The gateway must be set up properly, on its own and directly connected to the incoming Rogers RF-coax cable. WiFi also needs to be set up on that Gateway (confirmed by point 2 below?)

2. You didn't answer whether you can connect to the Internet via tablet or computer, through the gateway, etc.  The startup instructions (top of page 2) say your box won't work without that Internet connection.

3. In spite of all of the above, it's strange that there is no power used by the box(es) though...  I assume you've tried 3 different adaptors and 3 different boxes in various configurations...

miketk
I'm here a lot

Hi, as I "wrote in the first line of my first post" - apparently "I'm not the only one that doesn't read around here?" - first thing I did was I "plugged in everything as per the instructions".

Nothing happened - never got a picture on the tv screens - 3 boxes - 3 tvs - 3 power adapters - boxes never got warm - never saw a white light (on the box, that is).

Later, I tried hooking up the boxes to my Ignite wifi hub directly using an ethernet cable - nothing.

Wifi and ethernet work fine on the Ignite wifi hub.

Remotes function (light up and flash) but I get no responses from the little boxes - no picture on the tv screens.

Did all again with my power - never detected any power draw.

My wifi devices and hardwired devices all work fine with the Ignite wifi hub - home phone works too.

TV boxes are the stumbling block at the moment.

Hmmmm...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@miketk wrote:

1. Hi, as I "wrote in the first line of my first post" - apparently "I'm not the only one that doesn't read around here?" - first thing I did was I "plugged in everything as per the instructions".

2.  Nothing happened - never got a picture on the tv screens - 3 boxes - 3 tvs - 3 power adapters - boxes never got warm - never saw a white light (on the box, that is).

3. Hmmmm...

1. Did see that, but some people are better at step by step instructions than others. 😉  Also, until your last post, I was not sure that you had Internet working...

2. I assume these boxes have been in different locations and used different electrical outlets in the home.

3. Indeed, Hmmm. I'll flag @-G- who is an expert on IgniteTV.

miketk
I'm here a lot

I think the boxes are defective - I don't have another usb c charger in the house - have ordered one for my collection - and some adapter - these Ignite tv boxes are the first devices I got with a usb c receptacle and adapter - connector is so small I can't probe the contacts - can't tell if the power supplies are dead or the boxes.

This is strange - Hmmmmm - on top of this I tried reconnecting my old pvrs and they have been de-activated - thanks rogers.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@miketk Log into MyRogers and check the status of your TV account.  You should see your set-top boxes listed under "Ignite TV Box(es)".  Do the MAC addresses and serial numbers match what is shown on the labels of your STBs?

Before powering up your Ignite set-top boxes, you need to ensure that the Ignite gateway has been set up and that devices can connect to Wi-Fi.  Do not connect ANY devices to your Ignite gateway via Ethernet.  No switches, no computers, nothing.  Not yet.  Make sure that only your Ignite gateway and Ignite Pods (if you have them) are the only devices that provide wireless connectivity,  Power off any routers and Wi-Fi access points that you have in your home.

Power off and completely disconnect all of your Ignite TV set-top boxes.

Next, try activating your Ignite STBs, one at a time.  Start with the "best" TV in your house, ideally a popular brand name HD or 4K TV set.  Turn on the TV, connect the Ignite TV box with the Rogers-supplied HDMI cable to the TV, select that HDMI input on the TV, then power up the set-top box using the Rogers-supplied power adapter.  At the very least, as soon as the STB powers up, you should see a "Welcome. Bienvenido. Bienvenue" boot screen appear on your TV.  If all goes well, the STB should discover and auto-connect to your in-home Wi-Fi.  If it cannot, it should prompt you manually select a Wi-Fi network that it should connect to.

If nothing displays on the TV, double-check that you have selected the correct HDMI input.  If everything looks okay, try connecting a different set-top box.

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation