Technicolor XB6 - Block a Device from Internet Access

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Technicolor XB6 - Block a Device from Internet Access

Hey guys, I have a quick question, how do I block a device from internet access? I have the Technicolor XB6 and would like to block some of my IoT from internet access, but let them still have lan access.

With my old Synology Router this was simple, however I cannot figures it out on the XB6

***Added Labels***

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Technicolor XB6 - Block a Device from Internet Access

@gp-se: The XB6 does not have that feature. If you still have the Synology you could add it back into your network and use it for all wifi activities.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

As Bplayer said, if you bridge the XB6 and use your own router then just carry on as usual; or, you could try using the new Rogers WiFi Hub app which allows you to pause devices connected to the XB6 for incremental half hour periods up to two hours or until you choose to pause the device in question. This will cut the device off access to the internet but I don’t think/know whether it will still have access to you LAN

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gp-se wrote:

Hey guys, I have a quick question, how do I block a device from internet access? I have the Technicolor XB6 and would like to block some of my IoT from internet access, but let them still have lan access.

With my old Synology Router this was simple, however I cannot figures it out on the XB6

Have you tried assigning those devices to a user profile and then pausing Internet access for that profile indefinitely?

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/name-assign-devices-profiles-ignite-wifi-hub

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/pause-wifi-access-ignite-wifi-hub

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats actually a decent question.
I have devices set up to block out internet (my son's stuff) at specific times via the wifi app.. and works well..
Its mostly phone, etc..  and never really tried LAN access with them.

I should test that this weekend.
As it does still show 'connectivity' to the wireless, etc.  Its not blocking it from connecting at those times.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gdkitty  In the support article, under What access is blocked by the “Pause” function?, it says that only Internet access is blocked, not access to local network devices and resources such as network printers.  It also says that Pausing a device may not immediately disrupt established network connections.  So, while this may not be as robust or provide the granular control that you can get with more advanced networking gear, it should still do the trick... and is a heck of a lot easier to configure.