TV turns on by self in middle of the night

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: TV turns on by self in middle of the night

TV turned on by self twice(2) last night. Tv only using HDMI cable. Now I'm really confused. Telephone is plugged into back of gateway. Any suggestions
Keep Smilin' .....
Fred
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

What do you mean by "TV only using HDMI cable"? What device was this cable connected to. Seems you need to do a test with nothing connected to the TV, and wifi disabled. If it does not turn on by itself then start adding cables and wifi back, one at a time. This should identify the condition that allow it to turn on by itself.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dusty_miller0 : You really should be more specific in your responses, so that we don't need to ask additional questions.  When you say "only using HDMI cable" - where is this cable connected?  Have you tried disconnecting all HDMI (as well as any other) cables to see if the TV will turn on by itself?

@Bplayer : Great minds think alike - 16 seconds apart... 😉

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dusty_miller0 wrote:
TV turned on by self twice(2) last night. Tv only using HDMI cable. Now I'm really confused. Telephone is plugged into back of gateway. Any suggestions

Is your TV connected to the network by Wi-Fi and could network activity (e.g. something like a smart speaker/virtual assistant probing the network for devices that it can control) be causing your TV to wake up?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

To be more precise I've totally removed the sound bar and disconnected the NVIDIA Shield by unplugging the HDMI cable at the NS box that goes into the TV.  The only HDMI cable being used now and last night is the one plugged into the small black rogers box into my TV. 

The gateway has my Panasonic cordless phone and an Ethernet cable for the NVIDIA shield plugged into it along with the power and rogers cable.  Hopefully this is clear enough???This will be the setup again for tonight along with the remote out out of the room. 

Thanks

Keep Smilin' .....
Fred
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I suggest you disconnect that HDMI cable to the Rogers box as well, also disconnect any Ethernet cable, and disable wifi. Basically the stand-alone TV, then start adding connections one at a time. Also keep a log of each configuration for every night of observation.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

in all Onesty, reading all these posts kinda gets me lost at the progress of the problem.

I would have done something super simple like count how many devices are connected to your TV,  so for example a Blue Ray player, a Rogers Cable Box, a Video Game console, maybe a VCR too?

Since this is the Rogers form, we should be triaging the Rogers Cable Box with the TV FIRST,  so disconnecting it via hdmi and check in the morning if it turns on still, if so, then its a TV problem and a quick call to Visio for the next steps.

Disconnecting the Ethernet from your nvidia shield not sure what thats suppost to do cus it may still output a hdmi video signal to the tv even with the rj45 disconnected?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

How do I disable the wi-fi Bplayer?  The TV did turn on last night and there was nothing plugged in, but I did not know how to disable the wi-fi, other than re-set the TV original deleting all settings.  How close to the TV can the gateway be?  Nvidia shield had both HDMI and Ethernet cable removed.  HDMI was removed fro roger black box.  Remote was in another room.  Telephone was not unplugged.....Will be also unplugging that tonight.  

Thanks again to All who have shown an interest in my problem

Keep Smilin' .....
Fred
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi @dusty_miller0 Your recent test seems to point to the TV itself as the source of the problem. There are reports of this happening with some Samsung TV's. What Brand and model TV do you have? It is possible that the TV is trying to perform a firmware update. The interface for each TV is different but in general you need to go to Settings and maybe Help for a menu item called Update and see if something is pending. Also under Setting there should be a menu item for internet connect (wired or wifi), and it should allow you to disable wifi. This is something that you would have enable when you first got the TV.

The distance between the gateway and the TV is not really important.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The TV is a Vizio  M55-F0 (O???) I think 0.   Yesterday morning (Saturday) with everything unplugged TV did not turn on  (teasing me I think), however when I plugged my phone line back in all I got was busy signal (the same as my old set of Panasonic's That I had replaced last week.  (I think my blood pressure then hit an all time high).  I called Rogers on my cell  and got in touch with Ignite support.  Wish I could remember his name, but he was great.  Once the phone line was reset he asked about the TV coming on (I never mentioned it to him....so he read my "file" and I was impressed.) I told him to read up on the forum (this one) and he could not believe it because he's never heard of it..  Said he would open a higher alert ticked and someone will get back to me.   (Impressive even if they can't resolve 100%)  I'm relying on this board for that........Now for to-day

Just in from filling the car with gas at Costco (69 cents/liter)  V not on with everything disconnected except our land line.   Before going for gas I plugged the Roger's box back in and TV is still off.  This to me is little good news for a change.

TV.  all updates were up to date, and it looks like to disable wi-fi I have to reset to factory and start over.  I will call Vizio tech support tomorrow and ask them how and why it turns on by self.

Thanks for the support All.  Stay safe

Keep Smilin' .....
Fred