cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV turns on by self in middle of the night

dusty_miller0
I plan to stick around

Have upgraded my Rogers Ignite in January and have had this problem  since day 1. My 55 inch Vizio TV in the family room where the modem/router (gateway) is located turns itself on sometime  between 10 PM and 3 AM .  The other 2 TV's work the way they should.  Tech support has been involved and have replaced the black box and remote without success.   This does not happen every night.  I use a Vizio sound bar and have an NVIDIA Shield gaming/TV box.  They Have never turned on with the TV unless I turn them on.  Would appreciate any help you can provide.....Thanks

**Labels Added**

Keep Smilin' .....
Fred
52 REPLIES 52

Re: TV turns on by self in middle of the night

dusty_miller0
I plan to stick around

Just a quick update. 

Have set TV to quick start and as stated had the phone reset.  CEC has been disabled for awhile

The TV has not turned on the last 2 nights and will start plugging back in on Thursday night.

Keep Smilin' .....
Fred

FYI.  Last night I hooked the Nvidia Shield back up and left all else the same as last reported.  HDMI left plugged into rogers box CES disabled and quick start on.  Phone also plugged in

Iplayer what's the difference between ECO and quick start?

So far so good.  Thanks again and I will keep you up to date

Happier...

Fred

Keep Smilin' .....
Fred

@dusty_miller0 wrote:

...what's the difference between ECO and quick start?

Your TV's operating manual will probably tell you that ECO uses a bit less power and it takes the TV longer to start up.  Quick Start probably sends a bit of electricity through the TV's electronics so that they are kept warm for a faster start.  You can test this by plugging your TV into a Watt Meter.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/202-home-fix-up-including-appliances-hvac-power-tools/35430-electri...

Bplayer
I'm a trusted contributor

The response from @57 was textbook, and right on. Not sure if you were asking about that setting on your TV or the Ignite box. I have my Ignite box set to ECO and it will take nearly a minute to produce audio/sound. With quick start it is a lot faster. The terminology make be a bit different, and I do not have my TV turned on right now to check.

Same as week ago with everything except the sound bar plugged in.  No other setting changed, and working as expected.  It seems that all of a sudden everything started working the way it should as if a secret switch was turned on.  Would love to know what is/was?   Another week of isolation for the sound bar and I'll get back to you.

Thanks again to ALL who helped

Keep Smilin' .....
Fred

dusty_miller0
I plan to stick around
Special thanks to you for your help. Not sure to this day what it was, but I'm sure I saw quickly when the TV was turned on "Update Complete"????? I'm thinking that Vizio was the problem. I'm happy
Keep Smilin' .....
Fred

Tinman3
I've been around
My TV turns on when the box updates. I changed the update time from 2-4 am to 8-10 pm and it still happens. This is another way other than pulling the HDMI cable.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Some TVs have a "signal sensor", so that if the HDMI (or sometimes other input) sends a signal to the TV, then the TV will turn on (wake up) by itself.  I'm assuming that when the IgniteTV box updates, or whatever, that the signal becomes active.  (I don't have IgniteTV)

You may wish to check to see if your TV has a menu item that reflects this sort of "wake up" and turn that off. It may also be related to HDMI-CEC settings in the TV. If you don't need HDMI-CEC functionality, then turn the feature off.  See the following FAQ, item 4 on the topic:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/faq-hdmi-comments-issues.71112/#post-611564

kojam
I plan to stick around

I see the update setting set for 2am - 4am.  Not sure what time the tv power comes...i don't want to disable the update setting.  I don't think it would be updating every night though.  quickly went through the ignite box settings and haven't found power on timer.  I know the Scientific Atlantic boxes back in the coax days had easy to find power on settings.

Help!

Thanks!

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Xi6 ignite boxes have no power on timer. They are basically on all the time.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kojam wrote:

I see the update setting set for 2am - 4am.  Not sure what time the tv power comes...i don't want to disable the update setting.  I don't think it would be updating every night though.  quickly went through the ignite box settings and haven't found power on timer.

What TV do you have, and is its firmware up-to-date?

The Ignite set-top boxes sometimes do update and reboot overnight but this should not turn your TV on.  Does your TV turn on automatically if there is even the slightest change in HDMI state?

I have HDMI Device Control (HDMI-CEC) enabled on two of my TVs and their set-top boxes, and those TVs have never turned on automatically.

Topic Stats
  • 52 replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 11 in conversation