TV turns on by self in middle of the night

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: TV turns on by self in middle of the night

Bplayer....I like your diagnostic approach....I have tried this, but believe I didn't try it long enough and then when all back together it happened.  I'll start tonight with the HDMI from the tv removed at the black rogers box.  I will reply with a yes or no every couple days.  If I get a "yes" I'll leave the HDMI at the box in and remove the HDMI at the sound bar.....This could take awhile, so I'll try and be patient.Right now I'm fighting with my cordless phone always busy....(plugged into the back of the Gateway box

Thanks for help

Keep Smilin' .....
Fred
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dusty_miller0 wrote:

Right now I'm fighting with my cordless phone always busy....(plugged into the back of the Gateway box

Power cycle your XB6 gateway.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

That was done this morning by self and rogers tech support.  I have recently unplugged the cordless Panasonic from the back of the gateway and plugged in desktop phone that was plugged into a bell box in the wall. It works fine. I have to use the gateway as the source for my phone and as of this morning it totally stopped working.   Looks like it's a Panasonic problem.  Can't wait to figure out why all of sudden it won't.  Thanks for reply

Keep Smilin' .....
Fred
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I suggested that because my phone service didn't work this morning either.  (Looks like the ATA in the gateway lost registration.  Incoming calls went straight to voicemail.  Outgoing call attempts resulted in a fast busy.  This is the first time that I've seen this happen with the Ignite service.)  Rebooting the XB6 didn't fix the problem.  Pulled the power plug on the XB6 to reset and that worked.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Bplayer....YES

TV came on last night turned it off and was again when I woke up.  Will now leave the HDMI cable plugged in to the back of the rogers box, and have unplugged the power to the Vizzio sound bar.  (Does not use an HDMI cable so I removed the power)....FYI sound bar uses a digital optical cable.

I'll let everyone know

Keep Smilin' .....
Fred
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

One step forward. So step #1 concludes that it is not the Rogers box turning on the TV. Now to step #2 the soundbar.

I cannot remember if you indicated that there are other devices attached. If not, and this is a long shot... is the TV connected to the internet and is it set for automatic updates? Then step #4 would be to disable wired or wifi on the TV.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here's a link that may help explain things and help you troubleshoot:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Problems-with-Ignite-Remote/m-p/456589#M5829

Although the above link is about programming the remote, a lot of the comments apply when various items are connected.  One other possibility is someone nearby using a similar remote on a similar TV turning on your TV when he turns his on/off

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Define "near by" please....same house?

Keep Smilin' .....
Fred
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

1) It is a smart TV

2) I also have it connected to an NVIDIA Shield Game box which will be the next piece of equipment to disconnect the HDMI cable from.

Why next....last night the TV came on wit the rogers  cable plugged back in , but with the Sound bar unplugged (no HDMI cable used to install this.   So I'll unplug the Game Box and see how it goes.

3) I wish I would have kept a diary of exactly what I did and then written it up..My memory isn't getting any better

VERY VERY Frustrated....Fred

Keep Smilin' .....
Fred
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dusty_miller0 wrote:

Define "near by" please....same house?

Unless the TV can utilize RF or Bluetooth signals which can travel further and in the case of RF through walls, then nearby means typically in the same room.  However if your room is on an outside wall with windows next to a neighbour with windows, it's possible that IR signals could be getting to your TV, but the odds are pretty slim. I just mentioned it in case...

If you keep a log of when it happens, then it may be possible to track down whatever is causing the issue including something like power surges in the home or other items coming on at that time.