TV Randomly Starts Showing "Snow"

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leaf4
I'm Here A Lot

TV Randomly Starts Showing "Snow"

While watching through the cable box my tv randomly started snowing snow after having it for 2+ months.

I looked at some fixes and changed the setting for the cable box to HDMI 1.4 4K 30HZ

I have a HDMI 2.0 cable, and a TCL 6 series tv that will allow a 60hz refresh... What can I do to enable it to work correctly?

It was previously on auto, so I don't know that I was getting 60 or 30, however I have all the correct hardware and would like to make use of it.

***Edited Labels***

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: TV Randomly Starts Showing "Snow"

@leaf4  I have seen some weird 4K HDMI handshake issues, including snow, but once everything gets working, it usually continues working.  I haven't ever had to try to fix something like this.  My initial gut feeling was that a firmware update, either on the TV or set-top box, caused something to break.  The other possibility is a hardware issue of some kind.  I would suggest power-cycling your TV and set-top box to reset the hardware, also trying a different HDMI port on your TV, just to see if it makes any difference.

I tried searching a few support sites for cable companies that use Comcast hardware but could not find any similar problems reports.  It's either not a widespread problem or could be a fairly new problem.  Do you know when this started happening?  Is it happening more and more frequently?

leaf4
I'm Here A Lot

It just started happening, I've had this tv for 2 months now, no updates that I'm aware of.

Brand new cable as well. "KUNOVA (TM) Braided Black Blue Glowing Light 30 Foot 30 FT HDMI Cable 2.1 4K 60HZ, 2160P, HDR 3D High Speed with Ethernet Arc Latest Version" is the cable from Amazon.

If I change inputs it will work for maybe a minute, and then go to snow. I did a full reset of the gateway, the set top box and the tv and it didn't change a thing
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@leaf4  Thanks for the extra info.  This would be an issue that only involves the TV and Ignite STB.  I would try using another HDMI cable.  If you have another Ignite set-top box, I would also try swapping them between TVs to see whether the problem follows the box.

I checked "Settings / About" and my STB firmware has not been updated recently.

Hopefully another user, who has experienced this same problem, can share their insights.  I would also try contacting Rogers tech support.  If they suspect a defective STB, they can arrange to have it replaced.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@leaf4 wrote:
Brand new cable as well. "KUNOVA (TM) Braided Black Blue Glowing Light 30 Foot 30 FT HDMI Cable 2.1 4K 60HZ, 2160P, HDR 3D High Speed with Ethernet Arc Latest Version" is the cable from Amazon.

You have a 30' cable. For that distance you either need very thick wires 22 gauge at least.  Many of these cables may only be 28 gauge and are not good enough for that distance, despite the "specifications". The other option is to use a cable with Redmere technology, which is a "booster" and the cables are "one way". 

Try a shorter cable to see if that works. Snow is almost always an indication of a poor connection - the cable may not be inserted well or making a good connection at either/both ends. They also tend to "hang down" and can damage the HDMI ports if not properly supported.

Also try different output resolutions in the IgniteTV box - try 1080P, 720P, etc, rather than "auto" or 4K, just as a test.  Never use "auto" - use a specific resolution instead.

Why do you have a 30' cable?  Are you going through an AVR (Audio Video Receiver) or directly to the TV from the IgniteTV box?  Can you try a shorter cable as a test?

leaf4
I'm Here A Lot

Directly from the set top box to the TV, is 30 ft. It's sitting on top of a console unit, has to go down to the floor level and is run through a Chase where it then pops out and has to go up above my fireplace mantle then to the TV with enough slack so that the TV is not limited on its range of motion.

The TV works perfectly fine when I have it set to 4K 30 HZ, it's just the 60 hz 4k setting on the set top box that seems to be causing issues