cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Audio Distorted

William16
I've been here awhile

Just purchased Ignite TV/Internet. Experiencing intermittent audio voice distortion. How do I fix?
Thank you

*** Edited Labels ***

7 REPLIES 7

Re: TV Audio Distorted

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@William16 wrote:

Just purchased Ignite TV/Internet. Experiencing intermittent audio voice distortion. How do I fix?
Thank you

If this in an incompatibility between the set-top box and your TV, first make sure that your TV's firmware is up-to-date.  You can also try a different HDMI cable, plugging the STB into a different HDMI port, or setting the STB's HDMI Audio Output (in Settings / Device Settings / Audio) to Stereo.

If you only see these audio glitches on some channels and on multiple TVs in your home, you should report this to Rogers.  (I noticed what looked like some source feed/encoding issues while watching a movie on "W" at my parents' house last night.)

William16
I've been here awhile

Thank you for your reply. Issue still persists. Rogers tech coming by tomorrow Jan. 26 to take a look. 

ljdlfjdlj
I've been here awhile
I am experiencing a similar issue. I just added a B&W Soundbar to my setup and voices will intermittently get distorted. If i mute the sound and then unmute it, sound returns to normal. It only seems to happen when viewing through Rogers tv box. When I stream directly to the TV ( Netflix, Prime etc) I have not experienced this issue.
A second issue is that sound and video will not sync through the Rogers TV box unless Rogers sound setting is set to stereo. But no sync issues with Dolby digital or Atmos when streaming.

- Rogers Ignite
- LG C8-OLED
- B&W Panorama 3

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Since you are using a sound bar and not an Audio Video Receiver with 5.1 discrete channels (or more), there should be no significant difference between the sound you get with the Stereo setting, assuming a suitable audio decoding setting in the Sound Bar to provide surround sound from a single device like this.

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/bandw-panorama-3

The B&W model you have appears to be one of the better/more expensive ones. Are you connected via HDMI from the TV or via Optical cable from the TV? When I looked at the reviews I couldn't see an HDMI output on the Sound Bar, so I assume you're connected via optical from the TV or HDMI from the TV?  Is the TV's audio output setting set to "passthrough" or a similar setting, not PCM?  Are you perhaps using Bluetooth from the IgniteTV box?  Bluetooth has known issues with synch.  As has been discussed in this forum many times, some devices do not work well when not using the Stereo setting in the IgniteTV box. This is often associated with devices that are not true DD5.1 devices like a TV or sound bar.

Even some inexpensive sound bars have an HDMI input and an HDMI output so that you can go from the IgniteTV box "through" the sound bar to the TV and that would take the possible delays or issues associated with going through a TV out of the equation.  More information on your setup would be helpful in perhaps getting the sound bar working properly with the IgniteTV box.

ljdlfjdlj
I've been here awhile
Thanks for the great feedback.
The soundbar is connected to the tv through HDMIarc. I just purchased new high quality cables to eliminate the possibility that that was the issue. It wasn’t. I also changed my tv box from Xi6 to the XiONE. That also did not make a difference. I had not tried setting the tv to passthrough. I have now and the sync issue is very slight and the intermittent sound distortion is still there. I haven’t tried connecting the soundbar through optical or Bluetooth. I’ll try those this weekend just to cover all the bases.

ljdlfjdlj
I've been here awhile
Update: I purchased a U9 UHDe4x1 switch. It separates the audio and visual, sending the audio directly to the soundbar from the Rogers box, bypassing the tv. Totally fixed my issues. Everything is in sync and sounds great.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ljdlfjdlj : Thank you for your feedback. Sounds like there was some sort of issue going "through" the TV.  Glad you got it sorted. Most issues can be resolved by using the "Stereo" option in the IgniteTV STB, but not all, depending on the specific equipment involved.

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 in conversation