cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched to Ignite Internet and can't see NAS

kerrcampagna
I've been here awhile

Hi, 

I had issues with Bell Internet in my house and ultimately had to make the decision to jump ship.  I have a home office with a port extender, 2 desktops and 2 network attached storage.  All worked perfectly fine and well UNTIL the roger's internet went live.  Now, none of our computers on the network can see the NAS.  Rogers Support is saying it's an operating system issue that I don't understand if nothing has changed other than our internet provider. 

I've googled it and tried many different things including TCP IP settings, ensuring Network Discovery is turned on and I've rebooted everything several times.  No matter what it says it can't find my NAS despite all being plugged in the same port extender the exact same way it was with Bell. 

*** Edited Labels ***

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Switched to Ignite Internet and can't see NAS

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kerrcampagna what modem model do you currently have? There are a range of possibilities.  The black or white Hitron modems will have a product sticker on the back of the modem indicating what model it is.  That will either be a CGN3xxxxx or CODA-4582 U version, or, if you have an XB6 modem, the model info will be found on the bottom of the modem.  That will indicate either an Arris or Technicolor modem.

Is the modem running in Gateway (modem plus router) mode, or, are you running the modem in Bridge modem with a router behind it?

Thinking aloud here, you might have to consider buying a router to provide the capability that you need for the NAS.  The modem would run in Bridge mode with the router behind it, running your internal network. 

When you say "port extender", does that mean a switch of some type such as a gigabit switch to provide additional ports?

kerrcampagna
I've been here awhile

@Datalink  It's an all black modem and the sticker is on the bottom and doesn't seem to list any specific manufacturer.  I have not added an additional router so I'm guessing it's set up as Gateway. 

I run a Cat 5 from the modem to a D-Link port extender that then connects to the 2 NAS, a printer and 2 desktops.  

I never thought of adding a new router but makes sense if the Rogers modem is the issue this would by pass I'm assuming meanign the Rogers modem simply supplies the internet and the modem runs the network? 

@kerrcampagna can you have a look at the images and let me know what modem you have.  I'm assuming that it might be a Hitron CGN3 variety at this point.  

Here's the CGN3 modem:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/cgn3support

There should be a product sticker on the back of the modem indicating CGN3xxxxx.  

Here's the new XB6 modem, which is either an Arris or Technicolor modem, as indicated by the product sticker on the bottom of the modem:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/learn-more-about-the-rogers-ignite-modem

When you say port extender, do you mean something like this:

https://www.staples.ca/products/724612-en-d-link-des-105-5-port-fast-ethernet-switch?variant=1965993...

Which is a ethernet switch, either 100 Mb/s or gigabit capable.

If you go the route of buying a router, then yes, the modem in Bridge mode is simply a bridge device between the router and the external Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS).  

If you were to log into the modem and restrict the LAN IP range, running from 192.168.0.1 to something like 192.168.0.6, turn off both wifi networks (2.4 and 5 Ghz) and then reboot the modem, after the reboot you should be able to ping each address, from 192.168.0.1 up to 192.168.0.6,ignoring the pc's address, in order to ping the NAS.  I'm trying to think of a way where you determine whether or not the pc can actually find the NAS when you don't know their IP addresses happen to be.  Pinging a restricted range of addresses should confirm that the pc can actually ping the NAS.  After that, its  question of why can't the pc use the NAS with the current modem in place.  

Another way to do this might be to load WhoIsConnectedSniffer, from nirsoft.net, and run that program.  It will show the various devices on the network when the modem uses ARP requests to determine what device is connected to the modem.  Or at least, that is what should happen.  You would also have to load WinPcap which is getting rather long in the tooth these days;

http://www.nirsoft.net/

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/who_is_connected_sniffer.html

https://www.winpcap.org/

You might also be able to run NpCap instead and load that in a WinPcap compatibility mode:

https://nmap.org/npcap/

If you ran WhoIsConnectedSniffer, you should be able to determine the IP addresses of the NAS and go from there.

@Gdkitty might have some ideas for this problem as well......

kerrcampagna
I've been here awhile

@Datalink

Based on all that info I have the Arris XB6 Modem.  

And yes the port extender from the staples URL is exactly what I have, even that specific brand but I have 7 ports. 

I'll try what you say below from the parts I can understand :).  I think I'll try the router option and put it in 

Thanks for your help. 

@kerrcampagna perhaps @Gdkitty can provide some assistance.  I believe that he has the same modem.  

If, at the end of the day you need to go down the router path, I'd recommend Asus routers, even with their foibles.  Every router manufacturer is guilty in terms of previous security issues so, in that respect I consider them to be all in the same boat.  Asus definitely provides updates for their routers and there is the option of running Merlin's Asuswrt, which is a modified/enhanced/corrected version of the original Asus firmware.  Here's  a couple of links for Merlin's firmware.  

https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin.42/

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/changelog-382

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/download

Personal opinion, don't do anything until @Gdkitty can get back to you.  Next step is to call tech support to ask for the Technicolor XB6, with the idea in mind that swapping the modem models might just resolve the situation.  The Arris XB6 is an Intel Puma 7 chipset modem.  The Technicolor XB6 is a Broadcom BCM-3390 chipset modem.  They are worlds apart and the Technicolor XB6 should be the better choice, if one has a choice to make.  Its possible that you might not have any issues with a Technicolor XB6 in place.  No guarantees, but, swapping modems shouldn't cost anything.  

After all of that, then its time to consider buying a router.  Don't spend any money unless and until its absolutely necessary .......

kerrcampagna
I've been here awhile

Ok thanks I'll wait.  As I was actually about to walk out the door my husband's computer finally saw the shared drive but my laptop and desktop don't so I'm even more confused than ever. All are on Windows 10 with no change in settings. 😑

@kerrcampagna  Do you remember how you had the network settings configured on your NAS devices?  Do they get their network addresses dynamically assigned using DHCP or did you configure static IP addresses?

Bell's default setup assigns 192.168.2.xxx addresses to the LAN segment and I wonder if your NAS boxes are still using old network addresses and if that's why you cannot communicate with them anymore after switching to Rogers.

If the NAS devices are configured through DHCP, try unplugging their network cable and then plug it back in again.  When the NAS reconnects to the network, it should be reachable again.

If the NAS devices are configured with a static IP address, you'll need to reconfigure them so that the network portion of their IP address matches the current LAN settings.  If the NAS devices are configured through a web UI, you'll need to temporarily configure your computer with a static IP address of 192.168.2.1 so that you can communicate with them.

First thoughts..
The switch, shouldnt effect it at all.
My NAS, any many other devices are behind  various switches, including one of those Dlink ones, so that part should be perfectly fine.

I am almost wondering.. if its a setting on the NAS?
If they are not set to DHCP.. and locked into another IP range or something similar?
That they are trying or are set to a specific network address, which the rogers setup now is using a different range.

That would be my first spot to look.
If there is a way with the NAS, to do a soft reset.. that would reset the network settings, but not the contents.

A mapped drive, depending  on how you were access it, same thing may be maping to a different address?

I am only the early Aris modem revision.. and again can access my NAS just fine via its network name, as well as can access my shares on other PCs on the network.

ST62
I've been around

Good Day:

We have a D-Link 320l NAS with twin 1 TB drives set on RAID 1.  It was using a Static IP address on our old network, to allow us to use a shortcut to access it.  Since Ignite was installed, two weeks ago, we can no longer access the NAS, or the data we have on it.

I have called the nice folks at the Ignite Concierge several times to ask them to send someone to resolve the issue of 'NAS was accessible on the legacy network, but no longer on Ignite'.  I have spent several 'Help Desk' hours on the phone, plugging the NAS directly into the Ignite modem, rebooting everything several times ect, ect, ect….  This evening I was trying to convince Rogers to send a tech out to help resolve the issue and the Concierge Manager was relaying information to me, for over an hour, from the Technical Department.  In the end I was told that:

- The Ignite Platform is not compatible with any NAS

- I would not be allowed to revert back to the old platform to regain access to my NAS

- Supporting NAS is not part of the plan for the Ignite Platfom....

I am bewildered by this answer, how can a 'new' platform not have the architecture to support independent storage of data behind your firewall?

I have limited knowledge of networking and need someone to help me regain access to this data.  Can you help us please?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ST62  What is the IP address that you use to connect to the NAS?

There are two ways to go about fixing the problem:

1. Reconfigure the "Local IP Network" on the Rogers modem to match the settings of your previous network.  Everything should then work as it did before.  The downside is that this may confuse and complicate future dealings with Rogers Tech Support (and others here in the Community) because your network settings will have changed from the defaults that everybody else is used to.
  2. Configure one of your computers so that it can (once again) talk to the NAS to reconfigure its network settings and assign it a new static IP address.  You'll then have to reconfigure your computers to connect to the NAS with a new IP address.

project17
I've been around

Synology NAS with IGNITE not connecting:

I can't seem to find any clear and concise info on why my Synology NAS won't work with Ignite.

I simply cannot get the Synology to access the internet.  I can connect to the NAS via my LAN (which is accessed through a simple 4 port LAN switch). I've assigned the IP 10.0.0.2 to the Synology.  But I obviously cannot access the NAS from outside my house.  

Is it not possible to access a NAS behind the Ignite XB6? If it is possible, what are the steps I need to do? The Xb6 is not in Bridge mode.  

If it's not possible... that's ridiculous.

I've attempted to set up port forwarding through the Ignite App with no success. I don't know if Port Triggering is needed?

I've had and managed my local NAS devices pretty easily for years, so I know the basics getting everything up and running... but this is driving me nuts.  

Any help is appreciated.

What IP are you trying to forward for the NAS?

I know there are a few select ports which are blocked.

AllanRi
I plan to stick around

I have the exact same problem. After spending hours with Synology support, we determined the NAS is not able to acquire an external IP address.    Am going to re-try Rogers support. 

AllanRi
I plan to stick around

I think I figured it out. I had the exact same problem; my Synology NAS could not "see" the internet.  I couldn't set up email notifications, couldn't download updates, couldn't update the time on my NAS from an NTP server, etc.

I had set my Network Settings in DSM to have the NAS use a static IP address, but when I finally happened to look at the list of actual devices on the router's admin page (NOT the useless Rogers Ignite Wifi app), I saw that it was still set to use DHCP. So, I changed the setting on the router's  Connected Devices page to use a static IP address.  Suddenly everything worked.

Wondering if this is a bug in either Synology DSM's networking component or in the software for the Rogers gateway/router?

Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 7 in conversation