cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stingray Video Channels - How to turn screen off

abcdefghijkjh
I plan to stick around

Hello, 

We just upgraded to Ignite TV. Very straight forward process. 

My wife and I fall asleep to the Stingray Nature channel...been doing it since we bought the house in 2011. 

I notice on the Ignite the Stingray channel shows the album and info. The old stingray channels would quickly flash the track playing, then go black. This was ideal for sleeping. 

I've spend 20 minutes or so playing around with Ignite, but can't seem to find any way to turn off the screen, or make the screen go black, while having the stingray channel playing in the background. 

Anyone have any advice how I can listen to the nature channel on a black screen like I could prior to the Ignite upgrade?

Thanks,

Steve

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Stingray Video Channels - How to turn screen off

@abcdefghijkjh  Another suggestion:  If you have a Bluetooth receiver on an audio system/speaker in your bedroom, you can receive audio from an Ignite set-top box that way as well.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

RogersTony

Hello, @abcdefghijkjh

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

We appreciate you posting your question. I can understand how the brightness of the screen can become disruptive to your sleeping.

There does not appear to be an option to dim or have a black screen appear for this channel on the Ignite TV platform. This may have been a feature provided by the broadcaster on our previous Digital Cable platform. If you use an Android or iOS smartphone or tablet you can download the Stingray Music App to enjoy Stingray without the brightness of the TV screen.

There are steps in the settings for Provider Access that should allow you to enjoy the premium version of the app without paying any additional costs. Simply select Rogers as your provider and follow the steps to sync the mobile app with your TV Subscription.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@abcdefghijkjh wrote:

I've spend 20 minutes or so playing around with Ignite, but can't seem to find any way to turn off the screen, or make the screen go black, while having the stingray channel playing in the background. 

Anyone have any advice how I can listen to the nature channel on a black screen like I could prior to the Ignite upgrade?

I can't think of any way to accomplish this either.  Even if you do something to generate an "almost black" screen... a search that generates no results, going into Settings, etc. ... the screen saver will trigger after a few minutes.  I don't know of any secret magic codes to blank the screen either.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor
I have an audio video receiver so I can start the stingray music station then just turn the TV off leaving the avr on and the rogers box playing the channel.

abcdefghijkjh
I plan to stick around

Interesting solution. 

So the rogers box goes to the AVR, then the AVR to the TV? 

So you can turn the TV off, but the audio still comes through the AVR? 

Thanks for your assistance everyone. 

@abcdefghijkjh  Another suggestion:  If you have a Bluetooth receiver on an audio system/speaker in your bedroom, you can receive audio from an Ignite set-top box that way as well.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Yes I forgot about Bluetooth connectivity with the xi6. Great idea.

abcdefghijkjh
I plan to stick around
We have found our solution.

Blutooth speaker connected to the box. Can turn TV off and box remains on. Excellent.

We will still have to deal with the 4 hour sleep function, but we are generally sleeping 4 hours after lying down (at least I hope so).

Appears this will be a suitable solution. Thanks everyone.

On another note we are loving Ignite. Only 2 days in and I couldn't imagine going back. The gigabit service is excellent. The flex pack is perfect.

Even the picture appears better. Signal works on the porch and backyard. Wife set it up while I cut the grass. Quick and easy.

Speed test is showing me approx 750 mbps down ans 35 mbps up. That's wireless. Have not tried a hard wired ethernet connection yet.

Well done Rogers. Well done.

@abcdefghijkjh wrote:
We have found our solution.
Blutooth speaker connected to the box. Can turn TV off and box remains on. Excellent.

On another note we are loving Ignite. Only 2 days in and I couldn't imagine going back. The gigabit service is excellent. The flex pack is perfect.

That's awesome!  Glad to hear that this solution works well for you and that you are enjoying your new Ignite TV and Internet service!

abcdefghijkjh
I plan to stick around

well, not back to the drawing board, but certainly a puzzling situation. 

when I tested the above method, using the box to connect to bluetooth, play the channel through the speaker, and turn TV off, it worked in my media room no issues. 

When we went to bed, I setup the exact same way, and when I turned off the TV, the box also turned off. 

I went back to media room, double checked it, and in that room, the tv turned off, but the box remained on. 

So I went to the living room, and the box turned off with the tv, like the bedroom. 

But the media room I can turn the TV off, and the box remains on. Whether the box is connected to the bluetooth speaker or not doesn't seem to matter. 

All 3 boxes were set up the same way. One box functions differently than the other two. 

I will keep playing and testing. The idea works. But I'm trying to figure out why the box turns off on two of my setups, but not the third. Maybe I'll take the media room box, and move it to the bedroom? I don't know. 🙂 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
You just need to disable HDMI-CEC in your set-top box’s Power settings.

abcdefghijkjh
I plan to stick around

SUCCESS!

You are the man. (or woman)

Truly appreciated. 

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 15 Likes
  • 4 in conversation