Sony Android TV restarts when Powered On using Ignite TV XR15 remote

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Sony Android TV restarts when Powered On using Ignite TV XR15 remote

@Bogeyman
I see. In my case, my Sony TV remote would not control my soundbar... Hence, I would need to use 3 separate remotes to watch TV if I decided to not use the Ignite remote as the "universal" remote.

I will continue to update here as I try to find a solution.

Thanks again for your replies
I Plan to Stick Around

@57 

@Bogeyman 

I believe I have found the source of the problem!

I have tested for the past few days and here are the things I narrowed down to:

1) If the Ignite Box is in Power Save or Screensaver modes and TV is off:

• using the programmed XR15 remote to power ON the TV and wake Ignite Box at the same time will trigger the TV to power off/restart
  • however, if I wake the Ignite Box first (i.e. hit "back arrow" button on XR15) and then power ON TV using XR15; TV will turn on instantly without issues (NO TV power off/restart loop)

2) Based on the logic above, if Ignite Box is ON and TV is off (i.e. before Screensaver/Power Save kicks in):

• using the programmed XR15 remote to power ON the TV has no issue as well

Well, for now, I can use this trick (wake Ignite box first after not watching for >2 hours before Power ON TV) as I want to only use XR15 as remote for system (TV box/TV/Sound bar). I hope a firmware update will soon eradicate the need of this trick. 

NOTE to everyone: This issue only recently started with my Sony Android TV (2015 4K model). My other older Sony HD TV works fine with ignite box and remote without issues since the day I switch to ignite.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@hyuga9 : A few thoughts.

1. Does your "other" Sony TV have the option for the "Full Power off/restart" functionality?

2. Does the other TV have HDMI-CEC turned on or off.

3. My guess is that when the Rogers box is asleep it somehow sends a "full power off" command to the TV, either by HDMI-CEC or by the remote itself.  Did you try the different TV codes?  Do you have HDMI-CEC turned off?

4. In your original post you did not mention a sound bar. This could be important.

5. Is the Rogers box connected directly to the TV or "through" the sound bar?

I Plan to Stick Around

@57 

Please see my responses to your questions below:

1. Does your "other" Sony TV have the option for the "Full Power off/restart" functionality?

- Not really, it is NOT an Android/Smart TV (from 2004) and does not have a "restart" loop as far as I know

2. Does the other TV have HDMI-CEC turned on or off.

- No, it does not have HDMI-CEC

3. My guess is that when the Rogers box is asleep it somehow sends a "full power off" command to the TV, either by HDMI-CEC or by the remote itself.  Did you try the different TV codes?  Do you have HDMI-CEC turned off?

- Yes, 3 of the codes on the list work on the TV and they all behave the same

- Yes as well, HDMI-CEC is OFF on both Ignite box and Sony TV

4. In your original post you did not mention a sound bar. This could be important.

- That's my oversight. I didn't think of it as a factor as I am able to control it fine thru XR15 remote since day 1 (nothing changed; Sound Bar turns on normally even when the TV goes into Power off/Restart mode)

5. Is the Rogers box connected directly to the TV or "through" the sound bar?

- Rogers box is connect to TV directly via HDMI; Sound Bar is connected TV via digital audio out from back of TV