cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sony Android TV restarts when Powered On using Ignite TV XR15 remote

hyuga9
I plan to stick around

Hi there,

I have ignite TV for 4 months now and this issue only started 3 weeks ago. I have read a few threads and already tried many things; including turning the HDMI-CEC off from both TV box and TV

- Ignite TV XR15 remote (HDMI-CEC function OFF)

- Sony 2015 4K Android TV (Bravia Sync function OFF)

From switching to Ignite TV until December 2020 (working fine):

- Power off via XR15: will put Sony TV to standby (as it supposed to be)

- Power on via XR15: will wake Sony TV (as it supposed to be)

Since December 2020 (issue started and getting worse):

- Power off via XR15: will put Sony TV to standby (as it supposed to be)

- Power on via XR15 (after a short period of time [within 2-3 hours] after Power off): will wake Sony TV (as it supposed to be)

- Power on via XR15 (after a LONGER period of time after Power off): will restart the Sony TV. TV will take a few minutes to restart (i.e. Sony/Android screens loading) and then power off.

Not sure if others with Sony Android 4K TV have encounter similar issue. And hope an update to the TV box will be available to fix the problem soon.

Best,

hyuga9

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Sony Android TV restarts when Powered On using Ignite TV XR15 remote

hyuga9
I plan to stick around

Something good (and strange happened)...

For the past 2 weeks, I am able to turn on the whole system (wake up TV box, turn on TV and soundbar) without issue. I have not change any settings on either the TV box, TV or the XR15 remote.

Hope this will continue to stay.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm not quite sure what's happening here since it's so weird, however, it sounds as though the TV may be "sensing" an incoming signal (or when the signal is no longer there) and turning itself on/off.  Or it may be using recent HDMI-CEC.

It doesn't sound as though the TV is getting the proper IR signal from the Rogers remote, otherwise it would turn on/off right away.  I'm not sure why you use the term standby.  Make sure the proper code for your TV is programmed into the Rogers remote and the remote should then turn the TV on/off.  The remote doesn't actually turn the Rogers box completely on/off.  Here's the link on how to programme the remote:

https://www.urcsupport.com/urc_product/rogers-xr15/?product-provider=365

Use the codefinder and setup links to programme the remote.

Here's a detailed post on the topic:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Problems-with-Ignite-Remote/m-p/456589#M5829

hyuga9
I plan to stick around

Hi 57,

Thanks for your reply. It is weird indeed and the issue only started up 3 weeks ago. It was working fine for around 3 months prior. So, I suspect it is firmware update related (Ignite box and/or Sony TV). Both devices are up to date re: firmware.

Here are some further clarification and details...

• As per my open post, it should not be HDMI-CEC. I tried all combinations turning it on/off for both the Sony TV and Ignite box. The function is currently OFF for both Sony TV and Ignite box
  • I use the term "standby" because it is how the Sony TV usually function with power on/off (even from the original TV remote). A full "power off/restart" will take 5 minutes. 
  • I have read the two threads and many others before I posted the question. The proper code was set up since first day I switched to Ignite TV (Sony TV code 10810). I have not changed it and I set it up again just in case.
  • The TV is receiving signals from the remote for sure, it can control supported TV functions since day 1
  • I understand the Ignite box does not technically turn off (read so many threads about it)

My problem specifically:

• When I hit "Power" button on XR15 to turn OFF: it will put Sony TV to standby correctly (I assume)
  • However, when I hit "Power" on XR15 to turn back ON,
    • (after a short period of time [within 2-3 hours] after Power off): it will wake/turn on Sony TV as it is supposed to be; and working fine for the first 3 months with the ignite box

• (after a LONGER period of time [i.e. >3 hours]): it will not wake up but rather restart the Sony TV. TV will take a few minutes to go through full Power off cycle (i.e. Sony/Android screens loads and then off).

Thanks again for looking into this. I hope the problem can be fixed soon.

Regards,

hyuga9

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is there some indication on the TV that it has entered full power off instead of standby when you press the power button?

Is there a setting in the TV that will preclude the TV itself from going into that mode, but rather into standby.  Some TV user menus may call this energy saver or power saver or similar.  

What I'm wondering is if the TV is doing this itself now for some reason - perhaps you changing settings (HDMI-CEC) affected another setting?

Have you tried different Sony codes in the remote?  Have you contacted URC Support and asked them which code to use for your TV? (Codes 11685, 11791, 11786, 12337, 11712, 11913)

https://www.urcsupport.com/urc_product/rogers-xr15/?product-provider=365

What happens if you use the TV remote - are there two different buttons for full power off vs standby?

hyuga9
I plan to stick around

Thanks for your continued support.

There is no indication that TV go to full power off when I turn it off (as mentioned, if I turn it back on soon/shortly after, it will always work).

I have (always) turned off all Eco/Power Save/Sleep mode functions on TV.

There is only ONE power button on the original TV remote; which will toggle "Standby/on". TV full power off can be triggered by long-pressing the same power button on TV remote (>15 secs) or via setup menu on TV

I will try the 2 things you suggested and report back in a few days.
1) use TV remote to turn off/on TV
2) try other SONY TV codes

Thanks again and Happy New Year!
hyuga9

hyuga9
I plan to stick around

@57; here is a quick (overnight) interim report

I powered off the TV last night using the original TV remote and turn it back on this morning using the original TV remote again. It worked fine (i.e. without going through the Full Power Off cycle). This is the first time TV turn back on normally in the morning for the past 3+ weeks (as I have been using the XR15 remote)

Kindly note I didn't use XR15 remote to turn off system last night, the Ignite box indication light was off when I was turning TV on this morning using the original TV remote. The TV wake up instantly and I can see the Ignite Screensaver on screen. I then triggered Ignite Box back on using XR15 remote. (FYI: Power Save is ON for the ignite box; Screensaver set to 5 hours [since there is no "off" option for it])

I suspect the following and will test it out further:

1) When Ignite box is "on" (box indication light is on): using the XR15 to Power On TV works fine

2) When Ignite box is "off" (box indication light is off): using the XR15 to Power On TV will trigger the TV to full power off

Again, I will report back after further tests and also try other TV codes as per suggestion

Thanks,

hyuga9

Bogeyman
I've been here awhile

I have a new Sony Bravia and Ignite TV. When I am finished watching I simply hit the power button on my Sony remote and it shuts off the set and my audio system. This works perfectly for me. 

hyuga9
I plan to stick around
@Bogeyman
Thanks for your reply. We have similar set up (Mine is Ignite TV with Bravia TV and Sony soundbar)

As mentioned in my posts, it was working fine for me for over 3 months and the problem started only a few weeks back (without making any changes in setting)

If you don't mind, can you share the following info from your setup?
1) TV code (and audio if you are also using Sony audio system) for Ignite remote
2) Ignite TV power save and HDMI-CEC settings
3) Sony TV HDMI-CEC (Bravia Sync) settings

Thanks and Happy New Year!
hyuga9

hyuga9
I plan to stick around
@Bogeyman
Hi again, just read your post again, so you are using the SONY TV remote; and not the Ignite remote to turn on/off the TV/audio.

What I have been doing is have everything (TV, Soundbar, Ignite box) controlled by the Ignite (XR15) remote.

It was working fine until a few weeks ago (most likely due to Ignite or Sony TV firmware updates), so frustrating...

Bogeyman
I've been here awhile

I really haven’t done any connections to the ignite system. When I power on to my system by using the Bravia tv remote the whole system comes on. The ignite box is always on but asleep. If you power on the tv, which in my case is also connected yo my receiver everything powers on. By hitting the back arrow on the ignite remote my last channel on ignite comes on. When I power off I simply press the power button on my Sony remote and everything powers off. The ignite power system does not work well for me. 

hyuga9
I plan to stick around
@Bogeyman
I see. In my case, my Sony TV remote would not control my soundbar... Hence, I would need to use 3 separate remotes to watch TV if I decided to not use the Ignite remote as the "universal" remote.

I will continue to update here as I try to find a solution.

Thanks again for your replies

hyuga9
I plan to stick around

@57 

@Bogeyman 

I believe I have found the source of the problem!

I have tested for the past few days and here are the things I narrowed down to:

1) If the Ignite Box is in Power Save or Screensaver modes and TV is off:

• using the programmed XR15 remote to power ON the TV and wake Ignite Box at the same time will trigger the TV to power off/restart
  • however, if I wake the Ignite Box first (i.e. hit "back arrow" button on XR15) and then power ON TV using XR15; TV will turn on instantly without issues (NO TV power off/restart loop)

2) Based on the logic above, if Ignite Box is ON and TV is off (i.e. before Screensaver/Power Save kicks in):

• using the programmed XR15 remote to power ON the TV has no issue as well

Well, for now, I can use this trick (wake Ignite box first after not watching for >2 hours before Power ON TV) as I want to only use XR15 as remote for system (TV box/TV/Sound bar). I hope a firmware update will soon eradicate the need of this trick. 

NOTE to everyone: This issue only recently started with my Sony Android TV (2015 4K model). My other older Sony HD TV works fine with ignite box and remote without issues since the day I switch to ignite.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@hyuga9 : A few thoughts.

1. Does your "other" Sony TV have the option for the "Full Power off/restart" functionality?

2. Does the other TV have HDMI-CEC turned on or off.

3. My guess is that when the Rogers box is asleep it somehow sends a "full power off" command to the TV, either by HDMI-CEC or by the remote itself.  Did you try the different TV codes?  Do you have HDMI-CEC turned off?

4. In your original post you did not mention a sound bar. This could be important.

5. Is the Rogers box connected directly to the TV or "through" the sound bar?

hyuga9
I plan to stick around

@57 

Please see my responses to your questions below:

1. Does your "other" Sony TV have the option for the "Full Power off/restart" functionality?

- Not really, it is NOT an Android/Smart TV (from 2004) and does not have a "restart" loop as far as I know

2. Does the other TV have HDMI-CEC turned on or off.

- No, it does not have HDMI-CEC

3. My guess is that when the Rogers box is asleep it somehow sends a "full power off" command to the TV, either by HDMI-CEC or by the remote itself.  Did you try the different TV codes?  Do you have HDMI-CEC turned off?

- Yes, 3 of the codes on the list work on the TV and they all behave the same

- Yes as well, HDMI-CEC is OFF on both Ignite box and Sony TV

4. In your original post you did not mention a sound bar. This could be important.

- That's my oversight. I didn't think of it as a factor as I am able to control it fine thru XR15 remote since day 1 (nothing changed; Sound Bar turns on normally even when the TV goes into Power off/Restart mode)

5. Is the Rogers box connected directly to the TV or "through" the sound bar?

- Rogers box is connect to TV directly via HDMI; Sound Bar is connected TV via digital audio out from back of TV

hyuga9
I plan to stick around

@57 

Hi there, just wondering if you are aware of upcoming firmware updates for ignite tv box and/or remote.

Thanks,

hyuga9

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@hyuga9 : I don't have any insider information and Rogers rarely, if ever, gives significant advance notice regarding firmware developments, etc.  Sometimes we may get a few days.

hyuga9
I plan to stick around

@57 Thanks for the info.

I am asking because my "trick": waking up the TV box before hitting Power button on XR15 remote to turn on TV started to stop working. This happened a few times already and started 2 days ago.

It was all good for over 2 weeks... without me changing any settings... feeling frustrated.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have you rebooted the box/IgniteTV system since the problem (re) surfaced?

hyuga9
I plan to stick around

I don't remember 100%. I will try rebooting the TV box and see then.

hyuga9
I plan to stick around

@57 

@Bogeyman (just FYI)

I tried both "Refreshing" (from webpage) and "Rebooting" (directly from box) the ignite TV box. The outcome is the same. My trick (using XR15 remote to wake up box first before Power on TV) wouldn't work anymore. The TV will go into restart after longer inactivity

One thing I found during the process. there was a firmware update to the box recently! It is now Release Version 125.0.0 (released date is Jan 11). I assume this may have caused the issue resurfacing. I hope a I can a new way/trick to counter this.

hyuga9
I plan to stick around

@57 (FYI)

So far, the only way I can avoid TV "restart loop" when powering on using XR 15 first time each day:

- End of day everyday, I will power off the TV using original Sony remote (instead of power off using XR 15)

- It will be fine the next day using XR 15 remote to Power up the system (TV, sound bar and ignite box)

- I can then use XR 15 remote to power on and off the system throughout the day

It is still annoying and an extra step each night but at least I found a consistent alternate solution for the time being. Hope the next firmware update will not ruin this trick as well.

Topic Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 4 in conversation