cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Song identify not working with voice remote

Dweezil38
I've Been Here Awhile

So why doesn't the song identify work anymore?

**Labels Added**

19 REPLIES 19

Re: Song identify not working with voice remote

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dweezil38 wrote:
So why doesn't the song identify work anymore?

Confirmed.  Music identification is not working for me either.

@CommunityHelps  You can reproduce this problem by tuning into a Stingray Music channel (e.g. Channel 388) and issuing the "What song is this?" voice command.  I get an error message saying, "Sorry, your TV box doesn't support music identification.  Please try using this feature on another TV box."

garry53
I've Been Here Awhile

I first noticed Music identification stopped working for me June 15,2021.

I tried all of my 3 TV Boxes and they all said:

"Sorry, your TV box doesn't support music identification. Please try using this feature on another TV box."

I tried a modem reboot.

After the modem was reset, I did a reboot on all 3 TV boxes.

I then tested all TV boxes and they still show:

"Sorry, your TV box doesn't support music identification. Please try using this feature on another TV box."

I am going to contact Rogers Tech Services and try to find out what is going on.

RogersTony

Hello, @Dweezil38@garry53, and @-G-

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums to you both!

I can understand how disappointing it is to lose a feature that you enjoyed using. 😞

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We have reached out to our support teams and they have advised that they are aware of this issue and are looking into it.

Once we get an update on this we will update the community.

RogersTony

I’m experiencing The same issue today’s June 25 people have been complaining about this for well over a week what’s taking so long to fix this issue

@DangerGirl6 wrote:
Experiencing the same issue what is taking so long to repair this

It's not just Rogers.  Music identification has been broken for Comcast customers as well for at least the past six weeks: https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/x1/song-identification-feature/609c9cae048e670ca85ed40a

Well with all due respect to Comcast viewers I don’t get Comcast in Canada I only get Rogers or Bell and right now this issue is relatively new
Obv it’s a software issue but I’d like to know when Rogers is going to repair it

@DangerGirl6 wrote:
Well with all due respect to Comcast viewers I don’t get Comcast in Canada I only get Rogers or Bell and right now this issue is relatively new
Obv it’s a software issue but I’d like to know when Rogers is going to repair it

I opened a ticket with Rogers and got confirmation that it has been escalated internally.  It doesn't appear to be something that the Rogers Ignite TV support team can resolve on their own.

Ignite TV also uses hardware/software/firmware that Comcast develops and also uses Comcast-hosted servers in the back-end to provide some services as well.  If the problem is caused by a firmware bug or if a service, that Comcast provides, is either down or unavailable for whatever reason, Rogers will be waiting on Comcast for a fix.  Given that Music Identification is still broken for Comcast's own customers, and has been broken for over six weeks now, well... I'll leave it to you to do the math as to when we might expect a fix.

I don't work for Rogers but I'm pretty sure the answer to that question is, when they get a fix from Comcast.

Well thanks for the update

they also use software from TiV
I know it seems incredible that they can not create their own software for a product that they sell

and based on what you’ve told me it’ll be a cold day before this issue gets resolved😡

Thanks for update.. very much appreciate it should be all plays bets as to what day and month year this will be resolved😝

it is utterly shameful that Rogers cannot create their own software/etc but instead has to buy it or borrow it or lease it from Comcast and TiVo

Rogers is selling the service but if Comcast chooses not to fix this particular feature
I guess Rogers customers will have to suffer

maybe Rogers can ask Comcast to cover 50% of the cost of ignite my package since it’s their software that is screwing up!!

If you weren't around for the Nextbox debacle, Rogers, along with Ottawa based Espial actually attempted to produce a updated software/firmware version for the Nextbox.  That did not work and Rogers wrote off a $500 million dollar investment.  End result, Rogers now uses Comcasts Xfinity modems and set top boxes, replacing the Nextboxes.  The end result of that is essentially Rogers doesn't own its home so to speak, so it if wants anything done, its at the mercy of the landlord who might agree to do something, or, not agree to do anything at all.  And, the customers have no idea as to whether or not problems will eventually be fixed.  I would guess that Rogers is under a non discloser agreement with Comcast, so Rogers can't say anything publicly about the Comcast system.  So, if you're looking for answers, check the Comcast Xfinity forums and Reddit posts. 

Fwiw, Espial was bought out by Markham-based Enghouse Systems in March 2019.  

Here's a thread that was started in Jan 2016, one of several from what I remember that discussed the Nextbox debacle:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/UPDATED-NextBox-Navigatr-December-2015-January-2016/td-p/33...

@DangerGirl6  Another thing to consider is that this problem may not be a technical one.  For example, if Comcast is infringing on a patent and the patent holder has taken legal action against them, or if there is some other legal issue at play that prevents them from providing the service, they may have had no choice but to disable Music Identification until the matter gets resolved.

Hopefully the @CommunityHelps  team can provide us with an update as to the exact nature of the problem and when Music Identification might be available again.

garry53
I've Been Here Awhile

Comcast own the X1 technology and brand it Xfinity.

Comcast also license Their X1 Technology to canadian providers such as:

Rogers under the brand name Ignite
Videotron under the brand name Helix

Shaw under the brand name Fibre total TV

Bottom line is they all use the same Comcast Xi technology, hardware, software.

So it most likely that the solution may come from Comcast.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@garry53 wrote:

Comcast own the X1 technology and brand it Xfinity.

Comcast also license Their X1 Technology to canadian providers such as:

Rogers under the brand name Ignite
Videotron under the brand name Helix

Shaw under the brand name Fibre total TV

To clarify, Shaw's "Xfinity" equivalent is called BlueCurve.

However, the important point here is that it's not really practical anymore to develop your own IPTV service in-house, especially when there are already established vendors in the market.  You will end up being behind schedule, over-budget, and in the unfortunate position of soft-launching a minimum viable product that will not be competitive.  Rogers needed a product that could compete with Fibe TV, and Comcast was the only vendor available at the time that had a mature product that would allow Rogers to differentiate themselves from Bell, that ran well over DOCSIS, and that could scale to support the number of customers that Rogers has.

Problem still not resolved Tony
No Update from you ..
long wait times to get To a Tier 2 rep!
Why isn’t Rogers- Ignite reaching to advise that they can’t solve the software problem since it’s also a Comcast issue.. and offering $10 monthly refund until it is fixed!

@DangerGirl6 this is when you call Customer Service to request a reduced rate until the problem is finally resolved.  Rogers won't reach out unless its a system wide problem, such as the 1 day cell phone failure not so long ago.  Beyond that, its up to the customers to chase down any rebates or reduced rates going forward for service failures.  

Dweezil38
I've Been Here Awhile

Has anyone ever gotten a rebate from Rogers for something as small as one feature not working? If so, please tell me who you are so I can reference you to them when I ask for a rebate on my monthly bill, until the problem gets fixed of course. (If it gets fixed??!!)

FYI, just saw this posted by a user in the Comcast Xfinity support forum:

I have some good news. I was able to get a Case manager on this issue and it has been assigned to the engineer's. I have been receiving follow ups from the Case Manager and Engineers, and they are working on a patch to fix this issue. The function stopped working after an update back in May.

Looks like a fix for Music Identification is finally in the works!

garry53
I've Been Here Awhile

Latest post today on Comcast says:

"They are currently working on it. The case managers and engineer's have been keeping me abreast. It should be back working next month."

Dweezil38
I've Been Here Awhile

Sorry garry53, but as of Dec 28 2021 this feature is still not working. Not sure if it will ever get fixed. Too bad, as I liked this feature. I guess not too many were using it or didn't care if it no longer works. Rogers should remove the training video on how to use it. $6 fee increase soon and neat features removed,

Topic Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 in conversation