Snowy/Jumpy Picture with Ignite TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Snowy/Jumpy Picture with Ignite TV

I just got ignite tv. 2 boxes. The one in my bedroom is fine. With the one in the living room, every time I turn on the tv I get a snowy, jumpy, distorted picture. I restart the box and then it’s fine. Why do I have to do this every time I turn on my tv? Is it a box issue or is there something wrong with the tv? Tv is new. Bought in December.

*** Edited Labels ***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Snowy/Jumpy Picture with Ignite TV

You could try temp swaping the boxes.. see if the other has the same issue.
This would figure if its some weird incompatibility.

I would try swapping the HDMI cable, just in case its a handshake issue as well.

I've Been Here Awhile

Please bear with me as my tech knowledge is extremely limited. I tried switching the boxes and the box from the living room (including hdmi cable) works fine in the bedroom meanwhile the one from the bedroom then gets all snowy and distorted when in the living room so I’m guessing that means it isn’t the box or the hdmi cable. Could it be an issue with the one tv? It’s RCA. Only bought in December. Could there be settings on the actual tv that need to be changed? I don’t know if it means anything but when I turn on the tv it says HDMI up in the right corner then it says 720 but then jumps to 1080 all while the distorted picture is going on.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Allie3 : I have the following comments/suggestions:

1. This sounds like a handshake issue between the box and the TV as mentioned earlier.  The box and the TV "talk" to each other sharing information so that the appropriate signals are sent.

2. Sometimes this handshake doesn't occur properly, often due to problems with firmware on the TV for example.

3. Update the firmware on your TV - read the operating manual on how to do this.

4. On the Rogers box go into the video output settings and choose a setting like 1080i.  I suspect it's currently set to "auto" which is not working properly.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah sounds about right from what 57 said.  That its jumping from 720 to 1080.. something may not be auto connecting right.

As he said, I would try to force it to a 1080 setting, and see if it remains stable.

If your able to get us the exact model of the TV we can look up just to make sure what its max setting is.

I've Been Here Awhile

You were correct! Both of you who replied. I did what you said and now everything works perfectly. It was indeed a handshake issue. Thank you for your help!