Slow Internet Response Time with Ignite TV system

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Slow Internet Response Time with Ignite TV system

Does anyone else have an issue with the slow response time between their devices and the network? Initially, I thought it was an issue with the wiring from outside but the techs came and installed a completely new line from the post to the actual modem as there appeared a little issue there but that did not clear the lag in response. Is there a software that I can add in my phone or on my computer that could actually monitor the network traffic inside the house (computer, devices and cable) to see what is causing the problem? I was told by Roger's that if I installed Eero and an additional satellite that this would clean up traffic and boost the WiFi signal in the house but up to now all it did was create more congestion as far as I tell. It did however boost the signal strength but did not clear the slow response time. Also, can anyone tell me how to get eero configured so that I can tell it to what speed each device should be connecting in order to try and fix this problem? I was reading that each device should connect to the optimum speed but they all appears to have connected to the 5GHz except for the ones that don't have that option, they connect at 2.4GHz still.

*** Added Labels ***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Slow Internet Response Time with Ignite TV system

Hello @Jlarose99,

Welcome to the Community Forums!

Thank you for providing the details. Would you be able to share any speed test results you have conducted recently? 

I'll tag our resident experts and community users for further insight @Datalink@Gdkitty @-G- .

RogersZia

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Jlarose99  There are a number of things that can either make the network slow or make the network appear to be slow.  The connection from the modem to the Rogers network needs to be healthy.  The network inside your home needs to be healthy.  The network settings on all of your computers and devices also need to be configured properly, and this is especially true with Rogers Ignite Internet because it actually supports two different protocols simultaneously: IPv4 and its successor, IPv6.  Ideally, your devices should have both protocols configured.  (If you were previously a Bell customer, their residential Fibe Internet service only supported IPv4.)

If your Rogers Internet connection is healthy, the speed tests on...

- https://www.speedtest.net/

- https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

- https://fast.com/

... should be consistent and confirm that you are getting the speed that you signed up for.  Ideally, speed tests should be performed with a wired Ethernet connection.

Are you seeing slow response times from all of your devices or just from a few?  Also, if you visit a new web site (e.g. https://www.engadget.com/ ) for the first time, is the initial connection to that site slow and if so, are subsequent connections to that site (e.g. when you click on a link to an article) also slow or are they immediate?

Delays in establishing network connections can be due to a problem with DNS name resolution (translating names such as www.rogers.com to a network address) or it could due to a problem establishing IPv6 network connections (resulting in a timeout and requiring a fall back to IPv4).

The following sites will test your combined IPv4 and IPv6 network health:

- http://test-ipv6.com/ performs a basic test; you should score 10/10

- http://he.test-ipv6.com/ tests whether or not IPv6 connections succeed

In some cases, even security software on your computer could be the cause of slow network response or could cause certain network connections to fail in IPv4/IPv6 dual network stack environments.

Sorry for getting technical, but it's really important to understand what works/doesn't work, what types of network connections are slow to establish, and whether connections to all sites are problematic or just some.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have many on my eero app. If you tell me how to export the results I will gladly forward them to you.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Jlarose99 wrote:
I have many on my eero app. If you tell me how to export the results I will gladly forward them to you.

"Slow speed" (e.g. you always see low/inconsistent download speeds) and "slow response time" (e.g. long delays when loading a web page) are two totally different problems:

• Slow speeds/low bandwidth are typically caused by problems with the underlying network (hardware problems, errors on network links)
  • If web pages are taking a long time to load (due to problems or delays when establishing network connections), it might be caused by this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6_brokenness_and_DNS_whitelisting

In the field of IPv6 deployment, IPv6 brokenness was bad behavior seen in early tunneled or dual stack IPv6 deployments where unreliable or bogus IPv6 connectivity is chosen in preference to working IPv4 connectivity. This often resulted in long delays in web page loading, where the user had to wait for each attempted IPv6 connection to time out before the IPv4 connection was tried. These timeouts ranged from being near-instantaneous in the best cases, to taking anywhere between four seconds to three minutes.

My point is that if the problem caused by a network protocol issue or a software issue on a computer/network device, you won't fix it by changing cables or upgrading your Wi-Fi hardware.

If the problem is caused by a slow/problematic Internet link, slow Wi-Fi or some other problem with the underlying network itself, then this requires a different troubleshooting strategy.

It would also be helpful to know more about your previous network setup, the devices on your network, and your previous Internet service provider.  Was your home network and Internet working well before you switched to Ignite TV or was it always somewhat problematic and the problems became worse after switching?

Do you experience any picture quality issues when watching Ignite TV or are you only experiencing problems with your own devices?

We are all happy to help in any way that we can but we also need to know exactly which problem(s) we are trying to help you to resolve.

I Plan to Stick Around

Ok. I'll try my best to explain what is happening. The responses I'm getting are out of my knowledge base so please bare with me.
My problem is definitely not speed related, once connected the downloads and uploads (I do very little uploading) are very good for the most part. It's the time it takes to to actually make or start the connection. I see that the connection request is there but the time it takes for the network to do something afterwards is my issue.
As for the previous provider that's easy, it was Rogers but with the digital package. I upgraded to Ignite last November, or thereabouts. Equipment wise, everything stayed the same except for the Rogers equipment. I had problems with the network before, but it was a different problem.
This issue only started when I upgraded to ignite. I'm not saying that there is a problem with the network but I think it's more what you are talking about in regards to IPv6 end ipv4. Unfortunately I looked on the heroes app and I cannot find anywhere that it shows information about that on each device connected. I think that's what I was looking for but I'm looking for a way of changing these connections or rather verifying what they are and how to change it if required.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Jlarose99  Thanks for the update.  That rules out quite a few things.  Have you tried rebooting your eero mesh to see if that fixes any problems?

With an external Wi-Fi solution, wireless devices can be "insulated" from network changes on the XB6.  I may suddenly see that channel changes are no longer immediate on my Xi6 set-top boxes or that it takes a long time for the email client on my iPhone to connect.  When I reset Wi-Fi, it forces wireless devices to disconnect and reconnect, and the problems go away.

I Plan to Stick Around

By rebooting do you mean physically unplugging and repluging the Eero box only or the Rogers modem also?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Jlarose99 wrote:
By rebooting do you mean physically unplugging and repluging the Eero box only or the Rogers modem also?

Rebooting the XB6 is optional.  It should be sufficient to "reboot your entire eero network" (Restart Network) through the app:

https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005489366-How-do-I-reboot-my-eero-or-network-from-the-...

If there's ever a situation that you do need to restart both the XB6 and the eero mesh, then: start by resetting the XB6 by power-cycling it and then (after the XB6's status LED turns white) Restart the eero network.

After you restart the eero mesh, you might also need to power-cycle the Xi6 set top boxes.  You only need to do this if the Xi6 connects to a distant eero node during the restart and "Settings > Device Settings > Network" says that you have a weak WiFi signal.

I Plan to Stick Around

There are abbr. that I don't recognize, XB6 and Xi6. Are these the Rogers modem and cable box? As for the Eero hub I've already tried the "Restart Network" option in the app but this didn't solve the problem,it had no effect on it.