Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

I only started Ignite TV on October 29th.  So, no bills yet.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are a couple more tests that could be done to provide additional information:

1. When watching a programme, press "pause" to pause live TV. When you hit "play" does the audio change to improperly encoded DD5.1.

2. The above experiment would be especially interesting if you pause live TV on CP24. CP24 is DD2.0 and the dialogue normally comes out the center channel if you have your AVR set to DPLII for surround sound as most people would and as most AVRs have that as the default. If the "paused" (recorded) programme switches to improperly encoded DD5.1 the dialogue would no longer come from the centre speaker and there would be nothing coming from the rear/surround speakers on any channel. This would be most disconcerting.

3. What happens if you schedule a recording but start watching that recording before it's finished recording? Is it also improperly encoded when you view it recorded.

I asked if the people on Digital Home were "seeing" the same thing and they are.  I'm shocked that this is happening and that no-one other than @Square has reported the issue to date.  There is no way Rogers/Comcast should be allowed to get away with this.

1)  No change.

2) Yes, I did the experiment using channel CP24

3) Yes, same effect.  The Recording is improperly encoded. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Square wrote:

1)  No change, DD2.0 switches to DD2.0

Huh?  That would indicate that pause live TV is handled differently from recordings...?  Perhaps you meant to say "switches to DD5.1"?  If you meant to say that, please go back and edit the previous post before everyone gets confused.

I can not edit my posts.  I meant that the channel I was on CP24 is the same after pausing and unpausing.  Another channel like CBS, live is DD5.1, pausing and unpausing it is still DD 5.1

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Square wrote:

1. I can not edit my posts. 

2. I meant that the channel I was on CP24 is the same after pausing and unpausing.  Another channel like CBS, live is DD5.1, pausing and unpausing it is still DD 5.1

1. You should be able to edit your posts for up to 2 hours.  Click the "gear" at the top right of your post when you're logged into the forum and a dropdown menu should appear to allow you to "Edit Reply" as one of the options for up to 2 hours (I believe).

2. So, you pause live TV and it's DD2.0 when watching the "recorded/paused" programme - for example if you pause, then rewind a bit and play a portion of the programme that was "recorded"? Or after pausing for a while do some FF, but not up to the point that you are "live".  This doesn't make any sense since you say that all recorded programming is improperly encoded DD5.1. Do Rogers possibly have different servers or something is done differently for "paused" programming vs. fully recorded programming?

Is CBS proper DD5.1 when you watch the "recorded" part of the paused programme as discussed above?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Upon further thought, what might be happening is that while a programme is still airing live (and you pause it) the audio format is not changed. However, much like the "media shrink" that is done on a 9865 (or similar) PVR, sometime after the initial recording, that saves about 40% of the disk space, the servers then "shrink" the file to save server space at some later time.  In addition to server space, it may also save a bit of bandwidth during playback...

During this "shrink" they could change to improperly encoded DD5.1 perhaps saving a small amount of server space since only two channels are present. I would have thought this is very small relative to the video portion of the file, but perhaps it's worth it if they're stuck for server space.

It would be interesting to start playing a recording several seconds after it's finished recording to see if the audio format changes immediately after the programme airs, or whether some time needs to pass before the audio is "bastardized," if you catch my drift.  Record a programme, then view it immediately after the live programme ends.

Thank you for the edit tip.  I think one of the technical reps was saying something about the servers.  Ya, it's strange, only the Recordings, like if you went to press List on the Nextbox 3.0 and played the recording, the recording would not play back in it's proper encode.  I tried 2 channels and both using Live + pausing and FF and RW keeps the proper encode.

I just tried a recording.  As soon as it was done recording, played back and was un proper encode.

Hi Community! I hope you're keeping warm on this snowy afternoon!

We’re sorry for the inconvenience you’re experiencing with your recordings.  The removal of DD+ is a temporary situation that we are addressing and should have a resolution for all recordings shortly.

Regards,

RogersCorey