Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

@Datalink wrote:

@57 the issue of stereo cloud recordings is mentioned in a few Comcast threads:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/DVR-versus-Cloud-Storage-Questions/td-p/3267413

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/recorded-shows-not-playing-5-1-surround-sound-on-main-X1-DVR/td-p/3...

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Xi6-T-4k-Incorrect-audio/td-p/3276160

Thank you for the links. I had a read through those threads and one person seems to be able to get DD5.1 properly from the cloud recordings.  There also seems to be some discussion regarding ethernet vs WiFi...

@Square The Comcast threads seem to indicate that On-demand has proper DD5.1 audio.  Have you tried on-demand?  Also, are you noticing this on your "main" box and is it hard wired to the modem or via WiFi?

If Rogers recordings are indeed PCM (2.0) or improperly encoded DD5.1 (LF & RF channels only), it's very odd to me that this has not been noticed by all the audiophiles on this forum...

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Yes, the Live and On Demand content is full Dolby Digital 5.1.   I was told the feature of DD 5.1 is disabled on the Cloud Recordings by multiple persons, from the Office of the President to technical reps.  I swapped out the AVR for one with HDMI = no DD 5.1, so both AVR with Optical and HDMI have this feature disabled.  I'm also surprised that nobody else is complaining, or is Rogers giving them such a discount to say nothing?

Thank you, GREAT Post!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Square : Thank you for your update regarding On-demand. Have you tried recording CP24 and seeing what the incoming signal is on that channel?  It should be DD2.0 live and recorded.   If it's DD5.1 improperly encoded on recordings, then Rogers is definitely messing with the audio signal.  If they are, this would be probably be against CRTC regulations which state that providers must not "mess with" the broadcast video or audio signal.  

I would far prefer to receive a DD2.0 signal that can be processed by DPLII to surround sound, rather than an improperly encoded DD5.1 signal, where you cannot process it for surround sound.

I recorded CP24 just now, it's DD2.0 live, yet DD5.1 is improperly encoded on the Recording.

Well also Rogers has a loophole where they say "well when I play the recorded show, the AVR does show DD 5.1, so it is in DD 5.1"  Would going to the CCTS be a better option?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

In that case I have the following comments/recommendations:

1. If you watch mostly recordings, change the output format of the IgniteTV boxes to "other" or whatever is appropriate, so that you get a signal (DD2.0?  PCM?) that you can process via DPLII to provide you with surround sound and dialogue out the centre speaker.  This is of course only a stopgap measure and certainly not as good as the original DD5.1 audio signal.

2. Complain forcefully, but calmly to Rogers that they are "downgrading" the original DD5.1 signal to improperly encoded DD5.1, on their recordings, which, I believe, is against the CRTC rules for Service Providers.  I recall instances years ago when HD first came out where the CRTC ruled against Service providers downgrading signals.

3. Complain to the CCTS, CRTC, media, etc.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to point out, not that I want to, but this is a Comcast product, or, a product developed for Comcast.  So, for any company that buys into Comcast's plan, it might just be a case of what you get is what you get, and ..... we're not interested in any changes that you might be interested in.  So, while I agree with the prognosis, the remedy might be well beyond Rogers control.  Not a great place to be for a company, personal opinion.  I suspect that you'll never see a response from Rogers staff that confirms any of this.  

@57 @Datalink I got another call from Rogers Management.  I was told this was a Comcast decision to disable DD 5.1 on the Recordings effective July 1st.  Why they didn't inform me of this when I made my switch?, I would have made a deal to stay on Digital. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That makes me think that Comcast is actually running the recording system, and perhaps more than Rogers will admit.  Was that announced on any of your previous bills?