Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

@tdelios wrote:

@Biollw ... great point regarding the blanketing of Access Points.

According to Rogers Engineer that originally came to my home to install Ignite (before I threw him out) stated that I am not allowed to use Access Point devices in conjunction to the Aaris Modem.. If I have dead zones, I was told to buy into the Eeros Mesh Network.

My question to you. Have you ever tried to setup on of your wireless tv receivers and connect it to the wfi signal of one of your own Access Point devices or is it mandatory for it to be connected to the Aaris Modem?

When I had my Ignite TV install done almost three months ago, I already had an existing Linksys Velop mesh that gave me excellent Wi-Fi coverage.  (Otherwise, I would have opted for the eero.)  I put the Velop into bridge mode and connected it to the XB6.  We then connected the Xi6's to the Velop.  The Rogers tech never gave me any grief.  It just worked.  As a fallback, we also made sure that the Xi6's worked wired.

I currently have my XB6 in bridge mode, my Velop in bridge mode, and am using an OpenWrt router.  Rogers tech support (so far) has never had any issues with that.  If needed, I can (and have) put my XB6 back into gateway mode for those times when a support agent needs additional access to the modem for testing.  I can also go back to a fully-supported configuration (with the Xi6's wired to the XB6 through a switch, and the XB6 in gateway mode) in seconds, if required.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@tdelios wrote:

@-G- 

My question to you. Have you ever tried to setup on of your wireless tv receivers and connect it to the wfi signal of one of your own Access Point devices or is it mandatory for it to be connected to the Arris Modem? 

I've NEVER had the Xi6 wireless receivers connected to the XB6 by Wi-Fi.  They've been connected to my existing mesh network since the very beginning.  As I mentioned in my previous post, if my Wi-Fi mesh should ever become problematic or be suspect for any reason, my fallback is to connect them (wired) directly to the XB6.

I'm a Senior Contributor

My xi6 that us wireless within my own wifi.  I can pull the cat5 out of the other 2 and they will connect to my wifi as well.

My XB6 is in bridge mode.

My "blanket" is just my main netgear Router and two asus routers set as access points.

I Plan to Stick Around

I recently switched to Ignite after I was offered a really good deal that was $60 cheaper than what I was paying with Bell. I had Fibe 25 with the Good package and Rogers offered me 1GB internet, Popular package and Crave...so I made the switch since Bell couldn't compete.

It's been a month and I've already had to have another tech come out and look at it. 

The remote for ignite TV is nice and lights up in the dark. 

Excellent voice recognition controls on the remote. 

Customer service is a lot better than Bell.

I was given an additional 4K receiver for pretty cheap.

Issues:

Numerous devices drop from my wifi network. My LG tv dropped, can't connect. My Echo Dot has dropped several times, my Android Box cannot connect. My wife's phone drops the wifi signal daily. These are all after they were already established as connected. Why are these device dropping from the wifi network?

The ignite TV has had "connection issues" and not worked for a day or two. Then when back up and running has paused, cut out and dropped audio numerous times. 

So I've had it for about a month and I've run into several issues that are really irritating. I switched because I was getting more for less, but right now the stress of my problems outweigh the cost. 

T

Hey @layden87!

We're glad you made the switch! Though this is certainly not the welcome we'd have envisioned for you! We'll be happy to help for sure. Seems the majority of the concerns are based around overall connectivity and that's definitely resolvable. Have you spoken yet with technical support to determine if you're in need of a whole home solution? 

If not feel free to reach out to us here @CommunityHelps. You can find more information on our private messaging system on our Blog.

@RogersAndy

I'm Here A Lot

It's been a little over a month since we signed up for Ignite TV. (If you'd like to read about how our installation experience went, you can read about it here: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Rogers-Ignite-TV-Installation-Experiences-Questions/... )

While service hasn't been absolutely perfect, the glitches we've experienced so far have been minor.

• Four times we've had the picture freeze anywhere from a few seconds to 15 seconds or so, while audio continued playing.
  • On one day (August 5th) channel selection, the channel guide, and other user interface features, lagged by several seconds instead of being snappy and responsive like they usually are. I suspect it was lagging that day because it was a holiday, and either the demand on Ignite TV was greater or just internet usage in general was in higher demand. The picture itself on every channel was fine, though.
  • One time the set-top box "rebooted". The picture went out, got a black screen, single white LED on the box went off then blinked before becoming solid again, then finally saw a screen that said "Welcome". Unfortunately, after that it did nothing for a long time. It was necessary to shut off and turn the STB back on. Wasn't sure what the cause was (crashed, firmware update, weak wi-fi) since there was no error message. But, I've since read this could be caused by the STB losing the wi-fi signal. And if you wait long enough (a very long time, apparently), an error message will appear. This has only happened once, so far. 

We haven't "recorded" enough programs to be sure the cloud PVR function is working well. But we did record one program, and it played back fine with no issues. (I've seen numerous complaints that recorded programs have missing audio.)

The voice remote works very well for us. I'd say 95% of the time it gets our voice commands correct. Probably one of the best features of Ignite TV.

Picture quality remains very good. Subjectively, even better than our previous satellite service. (We don't have a 4K TV yet, though. Just 1080p at this time.)

The Flex Channel feature is fantastic, and you can do unlimited exchanges during the first month of service. It took us a while, experimenting with different channels, until we settled on the ones we really wanted. Having unlimited channel exchanges to start with is something I definitely appreciate.

The only small quibbles we have (so far) are: There's no Ignite TV feature to adjust the aspect ratio of older shows broadcast in a 4:3 presentation. No stretch or zoom options. So one has to put up with the dreaded "black bars".  And there's no TV Call Display, which is very disappointing since we have Home Phone as part of the Ignite TV bundle. (Apparently it's the same as the older Home Phone service, minus the battery backup. And the previous Nextbox service has TV Call Display. So why was TV Call Display disabled/removed for Ignite TV?)

But on a final positive note, so far all my interactions with Rogers representatives have been good and discounts (including the waiving of the entire $150 installation fee, due to a poor experience with the first technician) have all been honored. Thumbs up for that.

So, while it's more than possible that many haven't had the best experience with Ignite TV: Mine has definitely been quite good.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RainbowTrout wrote:

The only small quibbles we have (so far) are: There's no Ignite TV feature to adjust the aspect ratio of older shows broadcast in a 4:3 presentation. No stretch or zoom options.

Most TVs have a stretch (aspect) function available, so you could use that, however, I recommend leaving the programme as it is for best picture quality and no distortion of the picture.  You also need to remember to "unstretch" once you've finished that programme, otherwise you end up missing 30%+ of programmes with 16:9 aspect.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/76074-faq-widescreen-tv-stretch-modes.html

I'm Here A Lot

@57 wrote:

Most TVs have a stretch (aspect) function available, so you could use that

True. But I deliberately didn't mention the aspect ratio feature on TVs. Because I don't want that to be an excuse, to not implement the feature. Plus, the Nextbox had stretch and zoom options. (Once again, a feature from the previous service that's now missing on Ignite TV.) Heck . . . our previous satellite receiver, from one of Rogers' competitors, had stretch and zoom.

I'm also pretty certain that even modern TVs, don't all have an aspect ratio feature. So, again, I'd like to see it implemented in the receiver/STB itself. If not for my sake, then for others' as well.

(Not to mention the annoyance of having to keep the TV remote handy, in addition to the Ignite TV remote, just to use the aspect ratio feature. Smiley Frustrated)

I've Been Here Awhile

I am also in the Newmarket area and I think you have convinced me to not switch. Our signal strength is mediocre at best now. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@carofili wrote:

I am also in the Newmarket area and I think you have convinced me to not switch. Our signal strength is mediocre at best now. 

There is an advantage to switching to Ignite TV.  With Digital TV, the incoming cable feed gets split in the home and cable boxes on longer runs may get a marginal signal.  With Ignite TV, you only need to have a good strong signal to the XB6 modem; the set-top boxes connect to it via either Wi-Fi or wired Ethernet.

I used to be a Digital TV subscriber and cancelled the service due to technical issues that Rogers could not fix.  So far, my Ignite TV service has been problem-free and I currently see very few errors in the modem stats.  If you have a good, solid Rogers Internet connection and good, solid Wi-Fi connectivity in your home, then Ignite TV should also work well for you.