Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kgrosvold
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

Those are bandwidth requirements for say, Netflix or Prime.  I get that.  Some of my 4K remux streams have a bitrate of close to 100Mbps.  Again, I realize that I should have a plethora of available bandwidth for other activities but if there is any type of hiccup, I'm "trapped."

Kev

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kgrosvold wrote:

...the last thing that I need is to be tied in with a tv (or 2) biting into that bandwidth and affecting it.

You stated you were concerned about TV biting into your bandwidth.  My bitrates reflected that, not what you get directly on the internet, which would not change.  One or two TVs would therefore be a maximum of 5-6% of the bandwidth.

kgrosvold
I Plan to Stick Around

Got it.  Just what if my particular use case is just slightly abnormal lol.  My internet has been so good for so long that I'm petrified making any changes.

Do you have 4K channels that you watch and if so, how comparable to the digital box?

Kev

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm still on Legacy Digital Cable.  Reasons outlined in the following post, some  of which may be a bit outdated (Latency appears to be resolved for most people/times):

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/How-do-you-like-Ignite-TV-compared-to-Digital-Cable/...

Although I've had a 4K TV for almost 4 years, the only 4K content I watch is off YouTube and that's pretty occasional.  I've also tried off AppleTV.  My wife and I don't notice a huge difference when watching 4K vs good 1080i/P signal.  The YouTube 4K bitrate is also around the 25 mbps mark, even though the connection speed can show 150 mbps, the buffering means it's only actually streaming at about 25.  I'm in no rush to switch, although I would if I "had to".  There is very little 4K content of interest to us at this time.

KOrr
I Plan to Stick Around

I absolutley hate the new rogers ignite but I had no choice as this is the only thing rogers had to offer me. . I will be switching as soon as I see what my options are.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What part of it dont you like?
As if its a setting, or something like just a botched setup, with those fixed, might not be as bad.

Other than going with some of the 3rd party options (very BASIC IPTV), there are not too many other mainstream choices other than Bell.

Depending on what you dont like, you might not like their IPTV service either?

Then there is always Satellite...

chank
I Plan to Stick Around

Just out of interest, has Rogers ever pushed out new versions of the software on Ignite TV to address any issues and provide new features? If so what were they and when did they happen?

Biollw
I'm a Trusted Contributor

"Just out of interest, has Rogers ever pushed out new versions of the software on Ignite TV to address any issues and provide new features? If so what were they and when did they happen?"

Yes all the time. Have had Ignite TV for 2.5 years and have seen many fixes and enhancements in that time.

Compared to 2.5 years ago Ignite is very stable, although this depends on your internet connection. I only have one outstanding issue I am trying to get fixed. It is not a show stopper, just a minor annoyance. PageUp/skip ahead does not hold the 30 seconds. This bug was introduced in a firmware release a few months ago. Never had this problem before that.

Firmware is updated overnight. features such as adding third party apps, etc. The UI has not changed as a whole lot but many fixes.

Have to understand that this is a Comcast product and Rogers is not really in charge of enhancements and fixes, although they may have input but more or less Comcast controls it.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chank wrote:

Just out of interest, has Rogers ever pushed out new versions of the software on Ignite TV to address any issues and provide new features? If so what were they and when did they happen?

I have been an Ignite TV subscriber for almost 2 years now and we have seen very few (if any) changes to the core features, and absolutely no changes to address complaints about how the system works.  The base system comes from Comcast and is under their control.  From there, Rogers can customize it to a certain extent but seems to have little or no influence over what Comcast does.

Most of what we get from Comcast are minor bug fixes.  (The X1 platform itself is actually pretty solid.)  Comcast has made some minor changes to the Guide.  They have also added HDMI Device Control (HDMI-CEC), which was enabled by default but can be disabled if it causes problems for you or disrupts your home theatre automation.  When new features are being tested, we can enable them in "Settings / Labs".  (They are currently testing "Autoplay Next Episode: (On/Off)")

Rogers has rolled out new Apps.  (Prime Video, hayu, tubi, Amazon Music, xite, as well as some (rather cheesy) apps developed by Zone·tv such as zone·ify, Ignite "Fun at Home", Ignite "Health at Home" and seasonal apps for Halloween and Christmas.

Another notable change was that Rogers ripped out a screen saver (that used to display nice landscapes) and replaced it with images of their own creation that display Ignite TV tips, Free Previews and promotional ads for new movie rentals and other pay-pre-view events.

Rogers also switched from the XR11 remote to the XR15, although this is also really a Comcast hardware change.  Rogers also recently introduced a (IR-only) Big Button remote.

Rogers initially only shipped with an XB6 gateway and an Xi6 set-top box made by Arris.  They have since shipped variants made by Technicolor.

As far as I can tell, Comcast has not added any new features to the XB6 gateway.

Rogers also switched from using the eero WiFi mesh to Ignite WiFi Pods.

chank
I Plan to Stick Around

"Have to understand that this is a Comcast product and Rogers is not really in charge of enhancements and fixes, although they may have input but more or less Comcast controls it."

Yes I aware of that, but wondered if there was still active development. It sounds then it is more bug fixing than feature addition. I note from another thread (https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/How-do-you-like-Ignite-TV-compared-to-Digital-Cable/...) that Flash is used for browser playback. Has this been addressed do you know?