cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

jjjjy7
I Plan to Stick Around

I currently have Digital VIP cable (I was grandfathered), CRAVE, Hollywood Suite, all the time shifting channels and Internet 150u with mesh network.  I am paying $150 per month.  My contract ends very soon and despite my best efforts, I can't get anywhere near that price for a new contract and would have to shift to the Premier package as they won't allow me to continue with VIP.  Rogers is offering me free installation for ignite and 1g internet for about the same price I would be paying if I stayed with Digital cable.  My question:  given the troubles that so many are having with Ignite, should I make the switch?

*** Added Labels *** 

275 REPLIES 275

Re: Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Portirish wrote:

I spent 2 hours on the phone with a Rogers Assistant and i am not spending any more time talking about it but i will be changing my supplier,

None of the regular posters here are Rogers employees.  We don't know any of the details about your dealings with Rogers and those who speak positively about Ignite TV really, truly do speak from the heart.  If your Internet service works well and your Wi-Fi and in-home network works well, then Ignite TV will work well.  There are aspects about Ignite TV that we all wish could have been implemented differently but, generally speaking, the picture quality is good, the service does what we need it to do, and it certainly also does have some very nice features that are unique to Ignite TV.

If you are experiencing technical difficulties, we can help you to resolve them and give you tips on how to work with Rogers to get other issues resolved that are beyond our ability to help you fix.

If your problems are of a non-technical nature, we (the Community) can also provide advice, and the @CommunityHelps  team can also work with their internal contacts to make things right for you.

If your relationship with Rogers is damaged beyond repair, we can't help with that...  but if your problems are technical in nature, it will cost you nothing to try to get the service working and we will do whatever we can to assist.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I understand, that most people hope and rightfully so should expect to hopefully have something set up and it work 100% from the beginning.
(and a good chunk of the BAD initial setups are by bad setups.. with more monitoring /training on the techs that could be resolved, but thats a whole other conversation)

But outside of that.. each/any service can have problem.. if its signal into the house, interference, etc.. just switching providers may not fix it.
I see that on other avenues all the time.. people saying "I am fed up with rogers doing THIS" (which usually sounds is more like signal related problem, etc) and people then recommend to say go to techsavvy.    I TRY to explain to people.. just changing providers will not fix it if the lines are the problem.
Its like if you live on a road with tons of pot holes.. buying a new car will not fix the potholes, they are still there.

EF6
I've Been Here Awhile

If you enjoy continuous headaches, lack of service, extended waits in getting through to Rogers support, and, eventually having to quit because you won't live long enough, then yeh go for it.    Just what they need is one more stiff to tie up their already unlimited line-ups of callers, or perhaps that minimal staff that they need to complain about the line-ups.  I pay over $220.00 per month for the IGNITE experience.   Most of the time it is the hardware that fails.  I do not like the recording of programs and I am now realizing that Netflix is a lot more affordable and no commercials.  Prices have gone up, services are less, support is terrible.    Now we deal with Robots????

Soon to be gone....signed EF.....Extremely Frustrated

EF6
I've Been Here Awhile
NO

chank
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

I understand, that most people hope and rightfully so should expect to hopefully have something set up and it work 100% from the beginning.
(and a good chunk of the BAD initial setups are by bad setups.. with more monitoring /training on the techs that could be resolved, but thats a whole other conversation)

But outside of that.. each/any service can have problem.. if its signal into the house, interference, etc.. just switching providers may not fix it.
I see that on other avenues all the time.. people saying "I am fed up with rogers doing THIS" (which usually sounds is more like signal related problem, etc) and people then recommend to say go to techsavvy.    I TRY to explain to people.. just changing providers will not fix it if the lines are the problem.
Its like if you live on a road with tons of pot holes.. buying a new car will not fix the potholes, they are still there.

But if someone has transitioned from digital cable to Ignite then the cable to the house hasn't changed so signal to the house shouldn't be a factor in bad setup should it?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chank wrote:
But if someone has transitioned from digital cable to Ignite then the cable to the house hasn't changed so signal to the house shouldn't be a factor in bad setup should it?

The signal to the house and to modem is certainly very important.  However, the Ignite set-top boxes also require excellent network connectivity within the home.  I have heard people claim to have good Wi-Fi because they can connect in the far reaches of their home, or because the signal strength on their device says "good".  That's like doing a "sniff test" to determine whether food is safe to eat or not.  With Wi-Fi, your connectivity may be good enough for web browsing but not for watching TV or video conferencing.  Being within 3m/10 feet of a Wi-Fi access point also does not necessarily guarantee good connectivity.

Wi-Fi can be very finnicky and unforgiving.  It works well when installed correctly.  When it is not, most people do not have the knowledge, tools or expertise to troubleshoot and resolve problems.  People install Wi-Fi without understanding how it works or what can make it fail, and the end result can be a disaster.

chank
I Plan to Stick Around

@-G- wrote:

@chank wrote:

The signal to the house and to modem is certainly very important.  However, the Ignite set-top boxes also require excellent network connectivity within the home.  I have heard people claim to have good Wi-Fi because they can connect in the far reaches of their home, or because the signal strength on their device says "good".  That's like doing a "sniff test" to determine whether food is safe to eat or not.  With Wi-Fi, your connectivity may be good enough for web browsing but not for watching TV or video conferencing.  Being within 3m/10 feet of a Wi-Fi access point also does not necessarily guarantee good connectivity.

Wi-Fi can be very finnicky and unforgiving.  It works well when installed correctly.  When it is not, most people do not have the knowledge, tools or expertise to troubleshoot and resolve problems.  People install Wi-Fi without understanding how it works or what can make it fail, and the end result can be a disaster.

I agree the signal to the house is indeed important, but my point is that the signal to the house should *not* be a factor in a bad setup for a customer that is transitioning from digital cable to Ignite, by virtue of the fact they had a working service before the Ignite setup.

You seem to be suggesting that all the problems are related to wi-fi connections of the STBs. So can we conclude that if the STBs were connected via ethernet there would be no issues? It does appear from posts earlier in this thread that wi-fi for other devices also appears to be problematic for some. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chank wrote:

I agree the signal to the house is indeed important, but my point is that the signal to the house should *not* be a factor in a bad setup for a customer that is transitioning from digital cable to Ignite, by virtue of the fact they had a working service before the Ignite setup.

You seem to be suggesting that all the problems are related to wi-fi connections of the STBs. So can we conclude that if the STBs were connected via ethernet there would be no issues? It does appear from posts earlier in this thread that wi-fi for other devices also appears to be problematic for some. 

It's not quite that simple.  Several factors need to be considered when measuring the quality of the Internet connection.  The same goes for measuring the quality of Wi-Fi.

The signal to your modem can look fine but you can still experience severe performance issues with your Internet connection for other reasons.

Likewise, you cannot measure the quality of Wi-Fi purely based on signal strength.  (A lot of people try to do "improve" Wi-Fi by doing whatever they can to maximize transmit power on their router/gateway, and this can often cause more problems than it fixes.)

On my Internet connection, I look at my signal levels and error stats.  (I monitor those on a regular basis to make sure that my line performance is not degrading)  I also look at latency and packet loss.  All of those are the first things that I check if I start to notice problems with my service, but that is where the troubleshooting starts.

For my Wi-Fi, I now use business-grade Access Points.  Those provide me with more configuration options and more status monitoring/troubleshooting tools than any consumer equipment ever could.  I can tell PRECISELY how EVERY device on my network is performing and if there is any fluctuation or variance in any device's connectivity.

My Ignite TV service usually works well.  I can measure and manage all aspects of my in-home network, and I will never be calling Rogers for help troubleshooting problems.

Have I ever experienced problems with my service?  Sure.

Last year, there was a prolonged period, that lasted several months, where I experienced extreme latency spikes and packet loss.  It was due to a Rogers network problem, and I was able to determine EXACTLY where this was occurring, and I had a good idea as to why.  While this was going on, my modem signal levels were perfect, my error stats were clean, and if I had called into level-one support, they would likely have had absolutely no clue as to why the problem was happening, and most likely would have blamed it on some problem within my house.  (Surprisingly, Ignite TV worked amazingly well despite these issues!)

Another time, I had a set-top box that was defective.  This one box had been flakey since day-1.  I was occasionally getting audio and video dropouts and seeing other small glitches but I could not figure out why.  The Wi-Fi signal strength usually showed as either Good or Excellent and the RSSI averaged under -60 dBm.  With my consumer-grade access points, I could not see any problems with the connection either.  When I upgraded to the business-grade APs, I could see that my healthy Ignite boxes consistently had 866Mb/s connections on the 5GHz band.  However, the unhealthy one fluctuated between 866Mb/s all the way down to 12 Mb/s, and sometimes even worse.  When it dropped down to 6Mb/s, there was not enough bandwidth to sustain the HD stream and I got audio and video drop-outs.

Another time, I tested a wired Ethernet configuration.  However, even when wired, the Ignite STB still maintains its Wi-Fi connection... and I found that I could cause the STB to glitch when I introduced Wi-Fi problems.

I have seen many of the RDK and XRE errors that folks have reported here and there has always been a plausible explanation for why it happened.  I have also intentionally created problems in my network to see how Ignite TV would respond.

I have also experienced problems with the back-end tools on MyRogers for managing Flex Channels, etc.

Rogers has also made provisioning goofs with my XB6 gateway.

However, I can still emphatically say that my Ignite TV service usually works very well... and I am using the exact same Ignite TV service that everybody else is.  If the modem signal is good and the Internet connection actually is working well, any problems almost certainly would be due to in-home networking issues.  Occasionally problems can occur due to defective equipment.  I know that I can also EASILY cause all sorts of just by doing things that I know will disrupt Wi-Fi.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to add one point to this conversation, there have been posts in the forum which to me indicate that customers are up sold to the Ignite service, which is "supposed to take care of cable problems".  That is completely wrong and should never happen.  Shame on any Customer Service Rep who pulls that off.  My advice before leaping over to Ignite is to ensure that your cable service is running as it should be, and to never expect the Ignite service to magically cure cable woes.  

@chank indicated "........ the signal to the house should *not* be a factor in a bad setup ...."  Unfortunately, you can't assume that the cable system is up to scratch when customers make the leap from legacy to the Ignite system.  You're right, it shouldn't be a factor but unfortunately it is.  

Adding to this situation is the DOCSIS 3.1 upstream channel slowly going live across the network.  There is insufficient information presented to the customers and first tier tech support staff for the purpose of making a reasonable conclusion of the OFDM downstream and OFDMA upstream channel signal levels.  You need a second tier tech, or an onsite tech with adequate training and test equipment to fully diagnose the OFDM and OFDMA signal levels.  That's an ongoing issue, and at the current time, we're all flying blind when it comes to those signal levels and subsequent modem performance. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

Just to add one point to this conversation, there have been posts in the forum which to me indicate that customers are up sold to the Ignite service, which is "supposed to take care of cable problems".  That is completely wrong and should never happen.  Shame on any Customer Service Rep who pulls that off.  My advice before leaping over to Ignite is to ensure that your cable service is running as it should be, and to never expect the Ignite service to magically cure cable woes.  

We need to be specific when we talk about "cable problems".

I had a MISERABLE experience with Digital TV.  I was in a former Shaw territory.  I experienced picture glitches on some Switched Digital Video channels that agents in the Richmond Hill call centre could see on their TVs as well.  Rogers just could not get these problems fixed.

With an IPTV service, what matters most is the quality of your Internet connection and the quality of the IPTV service implementation itself.  If the Internet service is unstable, it will affect Ignite TV to at least some degree... just how badly depends on the severity of the underlying problems.  If your Internet service is stable, then it is at least possible for Ignite TV to work well.  A lot then depends on whether there are in-home issues.

I run Ignite TV over my own network gear.  The configuration is totally unsupportable by Rogers.  However, I look after my in-home network, Rogers provides me with a good Internet service, it all works, and we're all happy.

I also know that Ignite TV can work perfectly well in a Rogers-supported configuration.  It's my fallback configuration, that I switch to if I should ever need support.  I also have (less technical) family members that run in a Rogers-supported configuration fulltime.  Ignite TV and Ignite Internet works very well for them and they don't need to call me for support.  I did their self-install and my primary contribution to their stable service was using a Wi-Fi analyzer to find the optimal spot to place the Ignite gateway so that the entire home gets good Wi-Fi coverage; the gateway never gets moved, not even an inch.  However, I doubt that any tech will go through the effort of doing a Wi-Fi survey like I did, even in non-COVID times.

chank
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks everyone for your input. AFAIAC your experiences of getting it working and maintaining IgniteTV are actually putting me off even more and I expect others too that might be reading this thread. We don't have your level of technical expertise or the tools, and merely want a consumer based IPTV system to work out of the box. Your experiences tell me that Rogers IgniteTV is really not such a system, although I am sure that there are some people who have had a successful setup. Also I understand that people often have to reboot their TV boxes, which implies that there are still enough bugs in the software that need addressing.

I have a perfectly working digital cable system with a Rogers modem for internet. The modem wi-fi is a bit flaky, but after bridging it and adding my own router, things are much better. However, if I take the plunge and go IgniteTV it is a one way change. If the IgniteTV setup cannot be completed satisfactorily, then there is no way back. The only course of action is to change providers. So going back to the original subject of the thread "Should I make the switch to IgniteTV?", I think the answer is yes, if you like the features, aren't worried too much about power cycling the components regularly and have the technical skills (or know someone who has) to solve all the potential problems you are likely to face.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chank  Ignite TV is just another streaming service.  If it's glitchy, it means that the network is not capable of reliably delivering a 10 Mb/s HD stream, that actually gets delivered in bursts.  Given that Ignite TV a live stream, it does not have the buffer depth that something like a Netflix movie would have.  However, Ignite TV is capable of riding out network glitches and I have also seen it work fine despite adverse network conditions.

Bplayer
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@chankhave you ever met an enthusiast that raves about how they fine tuned their cars engine, use synthetic oil, and have such a clean floor in their garage that you could eat off it? Does that put you off from buying a car and parking it a cluttered garage? It should not. @-G- is such an enthusiast, a fountain of knowledge, who goes to extreme lengths to help those less savvy, but maybe sometimes he gets a bit too technical.

I was a fairly early adapter of Ignite TV and experienced a few glitches in the early days, but now am completely stable. Out of caution and to prevent any issues I would reboot my PC, Ignite router and TV at least once a month. That has also changed as systems have stabilized and regular reboots have been taken off my todo list. In the rare situation where something does not seem right then a reboot is an easy process. Sorry, but the need for a regular reboot or power cycle is a non issue, and is not needed more frequently than your current system.

Anyone who has a stable legacy cable setup that does everything needed should not need to switch. But it is prudent to periodically explore the options, features, prices, and downsides.

chank
I Plan to Stick Around

@Bplayer wrote:

@chankhave you ever met an enthusiast that raves about how they fine tuned their cars engine, use synthetic oil, and have such a clean floor in their garage that you could eat off it? Does that put you off from buying a car and parking it a cluttered garage? It should not. @-G- is such an enthusiast, a fountain of knowledge, who goes to extreme lengths to help those less savvy, but maybe sometimes he gets a bit too technical.

Sorry @Bplayer , but your analogy doesn't work for me. If @-G- has to do that to his car to get it running and keep it working, then that car is not the car I would buy. I do appreciate that many of the contributors here have a wealth of knowledge and it is great that they share their time to help others on these forums. 

I suppose fundamentally, AFAIAC, there still seems to be too many potential setup and on going issues for me to risk signing up for 12 months to spend $200pm. I too, don't mind the odd power cycle, but I do mind when it becomes part of the solution.

I expect there will come a time where I will be forced off legacy cable either because the cost becomes too great or Rogers switches off the service.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chank  Yes, I go overboard fine-tuning my network and I investigate and fix every tiny squeak and rattle.

I also have normal, typical, non-technical family members whose Ignite TV setup works fine as well.  The only network maintenance that they do is dust the Ignite gateway from time to time.

My parents, however, have not switched to Ignite TV yet.  They are totally happy with what they have, and that's also a totally valid choice.

You don't need to be as obsessive as I am for Ignite TV to work well.  However, if your network's "Check Engine" light is on and it has blue smoke billowing out of the tailpipe, anything running on that network will not perform very well.

If you follow the tips in these articles on where/how to place your Ignite gateway, you should not have have any issues with Ignite TV.  If required, Rogers can also provide you with Pods, which will create a Wi-Fi mesh and will expand the Wi-Fi coverage in your home.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/02/the-ars-technica-semi-scientific-guide-to-wi-fi-access-point...

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/04/remote-work-lagging-if-you-cant-plug-it-in-upgrade-to-mesh/

ang10
I've Been Here Awhile
no, dont switch, it's horrible, you lose out on many channels, it's all messed up and when you want to see domerhingvrevorded, it jumps too far. As well when lowering or increasing volume, it skips numbers. The value you pay, is not worth it. You also losevfestures on home landline. Need to. source out better pkgs from other providers

Bizo1
I've Been Here Awhile

Do not make the switch. I did two weeks ago and its been a never ending cycle of problems. The first rep from loyalty and retention who upgraded me assured me nothing would change. Channels, packages, internet...nothing would change. Now I have the Ignite Tv and the phone wasn't working. No one told me I was supposed to put the phone through the modem. Next I had what I though was the best internet the 150u. After switching to ignite my cable was going out and the screens would shut off, I couldn't watch TV. When I called in to L&R for the 4th time I was told 150u internet would not be fast enough to support ignite, so I had to pay even more money to now upgrade the internet. I am beyond frustrated and am sick of calling in. I lost some channels in the migration...I cannot find NBC anywhere on my TV. Channel is gone and I cannot bring myself to call in again as Im just going to lose it and cancel everything with Rogers. I was lied to and mislead by an incompetent agent. Do your research and just stick with what you have and avoid the headaches and surprises that cost you money.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Bizo1 wrote:

Do not make the switch. I did two weeks ago and its been a never ending cycle of problems. The first rep from loyalty and retention who upgraded me assured me nothing would change. Channels, packages, internet...nothing would change.

That's disappointing.  There are differences between Digital TV and Ignite TV.  I don't think that Ignite TV is missing any critical features, and it also adds new features and capabilities, so I still highly recommend the service.  However, the channel lineup is different and you lose things such as the radio station channels.

For anyone considering Ignite TV, the agents can generate a PDF file that compares any two channel lineups and send that to you by email.  That allows you to compare Ignite Flex 20 + Sports with Ignite Premier or perhaps compare Digital TV Premier and Ignite Premier.

Now I have the Ignite Tv and the phone wasn't working. No one told me I was supposed to put the phone through the modem.

Rogers should have provided you with a Self Install Guide: https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/how-to-setup-ignite-home-phone

What telephone service did you have before?  Bell Home Phone or the legacy Rogers Home Phone?  It is possible to connect Ignite Home Phone to your in-home telephone wiring... but it is something that needs to be done properly and may require the services of a trained technician.

Next I had what I though was the best internet the 150u. After switching to ignite my cable was going out and the screens would shut off, I couldn't watch TV. When I called in to L&R for the 4th time I was told 150u internet would not be fast enough to support ignite, so I had to pay even more money to now upgrade the internet.

You definitely need to ensure that you have sufficient bandwidth: https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/download-upload-speed-needed

In addition to what you required before switching to Ignite TV, you need to budget 10 Mb/s for each HD channel that you will be watching and 25 Mb/s for each 4K channel.

I have a 150u service and that is more than ample for my needs, even with 3 set-top boxes.  In reality, I'm actually getting at least 200 Mb/s of Internet bandwidth which exceeds what I am paying for.

If anyone chooses the the "self install" option, they also need to ensure that they have the technical skills and ability to install the Ignite services properly.  If your Internet connection is working well and your in-home network and Wi-Fi works well, then Ignite TV will work well.  If Wi-Fi in your home is marginal and performs poorly, you need to be able to fix that.

I am beyond frustrated and am sick of calling in. I lost some channels in the migration...I cannot find NBC anywhere on my TV. Channel is gone and I cannot bring myself to call in again as Im just going to lose it and cancel everything with Rogers.

Rogers made a change on July 7, 2021 and removed CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX and PBS from their TV bundles.  It only affects new customers.  If you don't have those channels and want to add them to your lineup, you need to spend an extra $3/month for the "Prime Time Pack".  (I don't know why Rogers would make that change.  It only gives prospective customers another reason not to subscribe to Ignite TV.)

Do your research and just stick with what you have and avoid the headaches and surprises that cost you money.

"Do you research" is very sage advice.

It's still disappointing to hear that you were given misleading information by a Rogers agent.  I don't know whether this was an honest mistake or whether the agents are under intense pressure to upgrade customers and migrate them off of legacy services.

For me, when I made the switch to Ignite TV 2+ years ago, it was a positive experience and saved me money.  Hopefully the switch to Ignite TV can still end up being a positive experience for you.

I completely agree.  I have FAR FEWER stations, and the on demand library is gone.  I had this installed this week, and called to complain today, and to see what else they can offer.  Nothing.

ang10
I've Been Here Awhile
It's horrible. And the guide options are awful you can't see if anything is recording on the box. The Flex channels, should be able to pick any that I want, should not have to pay for extra. Cant see call display, so many random calls at my home. Nothing positive to say. Slow at times switching channels, freezes on channels, not impressed.

@Jaxxxon wrote:

I completely agree.  I have FAR FEWER stations, and the on demand library is gone.  I had this installed this week, and called to complain today, and to see what else they can offer.  Nothing.

Compared to some of the older packages on digital, vs the newer ones in Ignite, dont always line up 1:1.
So depending on what package you chose, might have less channels.  You might need to change packages.

But generally, ALL the channels should be available in some form.

Only thing that I am pretty sure you cant get on the ignite, are the Stingray music channels.