cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

jjjjy7
I Plan to Stick Around

I currently have Digital VIP cable (I was grandfathered), CRAVE, Hollywood Suite, all the time shifting channels and Internet 150u with mesh network.  I am paying $150 per month.  My contract ends very soon and despite my best efforts, I can't get anywhere near that price for a new contract and would have to shift to the Premier package as they won't allow me to continue with VIP.  Rogers is offering me free installation for ignite and 1g internet for about the same price I would be paying if I stayed with Digital cable.  My question:  given the troubles that so many are having with Ignite, should I make the switch?

*** Added Labels *** 

275 REPLIES 275

Re: Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kgrosvold wrote:

...the last thing that I need is to be tied in with a tv (or 2) biting into that bandwidth and affecting it.

You stated you were concerned about TV biting into your bandwidth.  My bitrates reflected that, not what you get directly on the internet, which would not change.  One or two TVs would therefore be a maximum of 5-6% of the bandwidth.

kgrosvold
I Plan to Stick Around

Got it.  Just what if my particular use case is just slightly abnormal lol.  My internet has been so good for so long that I'm petrified making any changes.

Do you have 4K channels that you watch and if so, how comparable to the digital box?

Kev

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm still on Legacy Digital Cable.  Reasons outlined in the following post, some  of which may be a bit outdated (Latency appears to be resolved for most people/times):

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/How-do-you-like-Ignite-TV-compared-to-Digital-Cable/...

Although I've had a 4K TV for almost 4 years, the only 4K content I watch is off YouTube and that's pretty occasional.  I've also tried off AppleTV.  My wife and I don't notice a huge difference when watching 4K vs good 1080i/P signal.  The YouTube 4K bitrate is also around the 25 mbps mark, even though the connection speed can show 150 mbps, the buffering means it's only actually streaming at about 25.  I'm in no rush to switch, although I would if I "had to".  There is very little 4K content of interest to us at this time.

KOrr
I Plan to Stick Around

I absolutley hate the new rogers ignite but I had no choice as this is the only thing rogers had to offer me. . I will be switching as soon as I see what my options are.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What part of it dont you like?
As if its a setting, or something like just a botched setup, with those fixed, might not be as bad.

Other than going with some of the 3rd party options (very BASIC IPTV), there are not too many other mainstream choices other than Bell.

Depending on what you dont like, you might not like their IPTV service either?

Then there is always Satellite...

chank
I Plan to Stick Around

Just out of interest, has Rogers ever pushed out new versions of the software on Ignite TV to address any issues and provide new features? If so what were they and when did they happen?

Biollw
I'm a Trusted Contributor

"Just out of interest, has Rogers ever pushed out new versions of the software on Ignite TV to address any issues and provide new features? If so what were they and when did they happen?"

Yes all the time. Have had Ignite TV for 2.5 years and have seen many fixes and enhancements in that time.

Compared to 2.5 years ago Ignite is very stable, although this depends on your internet connection. I only have one outstanding issue I am trying to get fixed. It is not a show stopper, just a minor annoyance. PageUp/skip ahead does not hold the 30 seconds. This bug was introduced in a firmware release a few months ago. Never had this problem before that.

Firmware is updated overnight. features such as adding third party apps, etc. The UI has not changed as a whole lot but many fixes.

Have to understand that this is a Comcast product and Rogers is not really in charge of enhancements and fixes, although they may have input but more or less Comcast controls it.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chank wrote:

Just out of interest, has Rogers ever pushed out new versions of the software on Ignite TV to address any issues and provide new features? If so what were they and when did they happen?

I have been an Ignite TV subscriber for almost 2 years now and we have seen very few (if any) changes to the core features, and absolutely no changes to address complaints about how the system works.  The base system comes from Comcast and is under their control.  From there, Rogers can customize it to a certain extent but seems to have little or no influence over what Comcast does.

Most of what we get from Comcast are minor bug fixes.  (The X1 platform itself is actually pretty solid.)  Comcast has made some minor changes to the Guide.  They have also added HDMI Device Control (HDMI-CEC), which was enabled by default but can be disabled if it causes problems for you or disrupts your home theatre automation.  When new features are being tested, we can enable them in "Settings / Labs".  (They are currently testing "Autoplay Next Episode: (On/Off)")

Rogers has rolled out new Apps.  (Prime Video, hayu, tubi, Amazon Music, xite, as well as some (rather cheesy) apps developed by Zone·tv such as zone·ify, Ignite "Fun at Home", Ignite "Health at Home" and seasonal apps for Halloween and Christmas.

Another notable change was that Rogers ripped out a screen saver (that used to display nice landscapes) and replaced it with images of their own creation that display Ignite TV tips, Free Previews and promotional ads for new movie rentals and other pay-pre-view events.

Rogers also switched from the XR11 remote to the XR15, although this is also really a Comcast hardware change.  Rogers also recently introduced a (IR-only) Big Button remote.

Rogers initially only shipped with an XB6 gateway and an Xi6 set-top box made by Arris.  They have since shipped variants made by Technicolor.

As far as I can tell, Comcast has not added any new features to the XB6 gateway.

Rogers also switched from using the eero WiFi mesh to Ignite WiFi Pods.

chank
I Plan to Stick Around

"Have to understand that this is a Comcast product and Rogers is not really in charge of enhancements and fixes, although they may have input but more or less Comcast controls it."

Yes I aware of that, but wondered if there was still active development. It sounds then it is more bug fixing than feature addition. I note from another thread (https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/How-do-you-like-Ignite-TV-compared-to-Digital-Cable/...) that Flash is used for browser playback. Has this been addressed do you know?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chank wrote:

I note from another thread (https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/How-do-you-like-Ignite-TV-compared-to-Digital-Cable/...) that Flash is used for browser playback. Has this been addressed do you know?

Adobe Flash Player is no longer being used: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/ignitetv-rogers-com-no-longer-requires-Adobe-Flash/t...

Should have included that (HUGE change) in my list as well.  🙂

Lakewood75
I've Been Around
No

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Lakewood75 wrote:
No

That is a totally valid answer but it would be helpful, for us all, if you could share the specific aspects of Ignite TV that you dislike so much (or that are causing so many problems for you) that you would either advise remaining with Digital TV or advise going with a competing service.

jjjjy7
I Plan to Stick Around

I started this thread in March of 2019 and did in fact make the jump to Ignite TV. The tech doing the installation was great. Had everything up and running in less than one hour, tested the system, set up my tvs, checked speeds, etc.
Over the two years I think I have experienced many of the issues that others have raised in various threads, but nothing extreme to the point where my service was unusable for days.

Most of the issues that I have experienced were corrected with power cycling or would correct on their own within a day or so. Some of the issues that I have faced with Ignite TV over the last two years are as follows:
- slow down/poor quality during early evening hours
- audio out of sync with video
- voice controls not working
- set top boxes in general (wish they would just get rid of these boxes)
- recorded programming disappearing
-the guide freezing, causing me to reboot
-remote draining batteries daily
-flex channel changing has never worked for me (I don't even bother anymore)
-unable to access Youtube, Netflix at times (though works perfectly on my smart TV)

I will say that the second year has been better than the first. Overall I have found the waits to get through to tech support have been mostly acceptable, and the degree of help varies depending on which tech I speak with. That said, I have found that beyond the basic support (power cycle), I have either had to replace the STBs (I think I have replaced them 3 times each) or just wait 24 hours for the problem to correct itself. I strongly dislike however when the tech gives me the standard line "there is no problem on their end". This is clearly not always the case. In the case of 4k tv, nobody in my city could access it for a period of time - but it wasn't a problem on 'their end'... ok

Overall, I do like the service when it works and is an improvement on the digital tv I had. At least once a week I have to power cycle something or attend to some issue with the service. After a trying two years, Rogers has decided to raise the price of my TV service, which has led my family to wonder how much longer we will keep the service. Since the pandemic, most of our viewing time has gravitated to streaming services on our smart TV. Prior to that, we liked the TV for live sports and subscribed to the sports package. But over the last year we hardly watch live sports since many sports have either been cancelled, condensed, or turned into social justice warriors; and truthfully we don't miss it.

So in conclusion, Ignite TV (at least for us) has been an improvement over digital cable despite all the technical challenges. I have no experience with Bell, so I can't compare the services. That said, for us it's not so much all the features that are added to Ignite, but rather a lack of content. We are watching less live TV, and more streaming services. I suspect at some point we will just move on from the service - especially if prices continue to rise.

@jjjjy7 wrote:

I started this thread in March of 2019 and did in fact make the jump to Ignite TV. The tech doing the installation was great. Had everything up and running in less than one hour, tested the system, set up my tvs, checked speeds, etc.
Over the two years I think I have experienced many of the issues that others have raised in various threads, but nothing extreme to the point where my service was unusable for days.

Most of the issues that I have experienced were corrected with power cycling or would correct on their own within a day or so. Some of the issues that I have faced with Ignite TV over the last two years are as follows:
- slow down/poor quality during early evening hours
- audio out of sync with video
- voice controls not working
- set top boxes in general (wish they would just get rid of these boxes)
- recorded programming disappearing
-the guide freezing, causing me to reboot
-remote draining batteries daily
-flex channel changing has never worked for me (I don't even bother anymore)
-unable to access Youtube, Netflix at times (though works perfectly on my smart TV)

I will say that the second year has been better than the first. Overall I have found the waits to get through to tech support have been mostly acceptable, and the degree of help varies depending on which tech I speak with. That said, I have found that beyond the basic support (power cycle), I have either had to replace the STBs (I think I have replaced them 3 times each) or just wait 24 hours for the problem to correct itself. I strongly dislike however when the tech gives me the standard line "there is no problem on their end". This is clearly not always the case. In the case of 4k tv, nobody in my city could access it for a period of time - but it wasn't a problem on 'their end'... ok

Overall, I do like the service when it works and is an improvement on the digital tv I had. At least once a week I have to power cycle something or attend to some issue with the service. After a trying two years, Rogers has decided to raise the price of my TV service, which has led my family to wonder how much longer we will keep the service. Since the pandemic, most of our viewing time has gravitated to streaming services on our smart TV. Prior to that, we liked the TV for live sports and subscribed to the sports package. But over the last year we hardly watch live sports since many sports have either been cancelled, condensed, or turned into social justice warriors; and truthfully we don't miss it.

So in conclusion, Ignite TV (at least for us) has been an improvement over digital cable despite all the technical challenges. I have no experience with Bell, so I can't compare the services. That said, for us it's not so much all the features that are added to Ignite, but rather a lack of content. We are watching less live TV, and more streaming services. I suspect at some point we will just move on from the service - especially if prices continue to rise.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

It is possible things are improving.  I am a late-comer (Nov 2020), and have had very few problems.  I did exchange one TV box in that time (of 3).

We all have different content preferences, and it is always a trick to get the stuff we want, at the price we want to pay.

For some, streaming only will be the answer, for others it will be a "TV" package only, and for many, perhaps most, it will be some combination.  

Good luck with your future decisions.

slore
I've Been Around
No way! Avoid at all cost. What a horrible service. Internet was fine before all of this. No problem accessing throughout our tiny home. Switch to ignite and internet drops regularly throughout the day. Unable to access internet even tho 2 meters from booster that is on second floor. Less cable channels, one stupid box. Don’t even get me started on the service. I thought companies would improve well leave it to Rogers to make services worse. Well done.

senordd
I Plan to Stick Around

I think it depends on the infrastructure where you live. For myself, Inginite has been infinitely better than the old setup.

Portirish
I'm Here A Lot

I just made the switch do not like it tried to get my old set up back and they told me it is no longer available so we are being forced to use there product that we do not like using needless to say we will be changing providers ASAP.

Portirish
I'm Here A Lot

We are not being given the option they are getting rid of the old system and forcing there customers to change NOT HAPPY.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Portirish  If you would be kind enough to elaborate on why you are unhappy with Ignite TV, we may be able to assist you in resolving any issues that you are experiencing with your new service.

Babylegs1
I Plan to Stick Around
I’ve had Ignite since December 2018!
I LOVE it!!

All providers are wireless now with cable

Portirish
I'm Here A Lot

I spent 2 hours on the phone with a Rogers Assistant and i am not spending any more time talking about it but i will be changing my supplier,