Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Babylegs1
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

I’ve had Ignite since December 2018!
I LOVE it!!

All providers are wireless now with cable
Portirish
I'm Here A Lot

I spent 2 hours on the phone with a Rogers Assistant and i am not spending any more time talking about it but i will be changing my supplier,

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Portirish wrote:

I spent 2 hours on the phone with a Rogers Assistant and i am not spending any more time talking about it but i will be changing my supplier,

None of the regular posters here are Rogers employees.  We don't know any of the details about your dealings with Rogers and those who speak positively about Ignite TV really, truly do speak from the heart.  If your Internet service works well and your Wi-Fi and in-home network works well, then Ignite TV will work well.  There are aspects about Ignite TV that we all wish could have been implemented differently but, generally speaking, the picture quality is good, the service does what we need it to do, and it certainly also does have some very nice features that are unique to Ignite TV.

If you are experiencing technical difficulties, we can help you to resolve them and give you tips on how to work with Rogers to get other issues resolved that are beyond our ability to help you fix.

If your problems are of a non-technical nature, we (the Community) can also provide advice, and the @CommunityHelps  team can also work with their internal contacts to make things right for you.

If your relationship with Rogers is damaged beyond repair, we can't help with that...  but if your problems are technical in nature, it will cost you nothing to try to get the service working and we will do whatever we can to assist.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I understand, that most people hope and rightfully so should expect to hopefully have something set up and it work 100% from the beginning.
(and a good chunk of the BAD initial setups are by bad setups.. with more monitoring /training on the techs that could be resolved, but thats a whole other conversation)

But outside of that.. each/any service can have problem.. if its signal into the house, interference, etc.. just switching providers may not fix it.
I see that on other avenues all the time.. people saying "I am fed up with rogers doing THIS" (which usually sounds is more like signal related problem, etc) and people then recommend to say go to techsavvy.    I TRY to explain to people.. just changing providers will not fix it if the lines are the problem.
Its like if you live on a road with tons of pot holes.. buying a new car will not fix the potholes, they are still there.

EF6
I've Been Here Awhile

If you enjoy continuous headaches, lack of service, extended waits in getting through to Rogers support, and, eventually having to quit because you won't live long enough, then yeh go for it.    Just what they need is one more stiff to tie up their already unlimited line-ups of callers, or perhaps that minimal staff that they need to complain about the line-ups.  I pay over $220.00 per month for the IGNITE experience.   Most of the time it is the hardware that fails.  I do not like the recording of programs and I am now realizing that Netflix is a lot more affordable and no commercials.  Prices have gone up, services are less, support is terrible.    Now we deal with Robots????

Soon to be gone....signed EF.....Extremely Frustrated

EF6
I've Been Here Awhile

NO
chank
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

I understand, that most people hope and rightfully so should expect to hopefully have something set up and it work 100% from the beginning.
(and a good chunk of the BAD initial setups are by bad setups.. with more monitoring /training on the techs that could be resolved, but thats a whole other conversation)

But outside of that.. each/any service can have problem.. if its signal into the house, interference, etc.. just switching providers may not fix it.
I see that on other avenues all the time.. people saying "I am fed up with rogers doing THIS" (which usually sounds is more like signal related problem, etc) and people then recommend to say go to techsavvy.    I TRY to explain to people.. just changing providers will not fix it if the lines are the problem.
Its like if you live on a road with tons of pot holes.. buying a new car will not fix the potholes, they are still there.

But if someone has transitioned from digital cable to Ignite then the cable to the house hasn't changed so signal to the house shouldn't be a factor in bad setup should it?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chank wrote:
But if someone has transitioned from digital cable to Ignite then the cable to the house hasn't changed so signal to the house shouldn't be a factor in bad setup should it?

The signal to the house and to modem is certainly very important.  However, the Ignite set-top boxes also require excellent network connectivity within the home.  I have heard people claim to have good Wi-Fi because they can connect in the far reaches of their home, or because the signal strength on their device says "good".  That's like doing a "sniff test" to determine whether food is safe to eat or not.  With Wi-Fi, your connectivity may be good enough for web browsing but not for watching TV or video conferencing.  Being within 3m/10 feet of a Wi-Fi access point also does not necessarily guarantee good connectivity.

Wi-Fi can be very finnicky and unforgiving.  It works well when installed correctly.  When it is not, most people do not have the knowledge, tools or expertise to troubleshoot and resolve problems.  People install Wi-Fi without understanding how it works or what can make it fail, and the end result can be a disaster.

chank
I Plan to Stick Around

@-G- wrote:

@chank wrote:

The signal to the house and to modem is certainly very important.  However, the Ignite set-top boxes also require excellent network connectivity within the home.  I have heard people claim to have good Wi-Fi because they can connect in the far reaches of their home, or because the signal strength on their device says "good".  That's like doing a "sniff test" to determine whether food is safe to eat or not.  With Wi-Fi, your connectivity may be good enough for web browsing but not for watching TV or video conferencing.  Being within 3m/10 feet of a Wi-Fi access point also does not necessarily guarantee good connectivity.

Wi-Fi can be very finnicky and unforgiving.  It works well when installed correctly.  When it is not, most people do not have the knowledge, tools or expertise to troubleshoot and resolve problems.  People install Wi-Fi without understanding how it works or what can make it fail, and the end result can be a disaster.

I agree the signal to the house is indeed important, but my point is that the signal to the house should *not* be a factor in a bad setup for a customer that is transitioning from digital cable to Ignite, by virtue of the fact they had a working service before the Ignite setup.

You seem to be suggesting that all the problems are related to wi-fi connections of the STBs. So can we conclude that if the STBs were connected via ethernet there would be no issues? It does appear from posts earlier in this thread that wi-fi for other devices also appears to be problematic for some. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chank wrote:

I agree the signal to the house is indeed important, but my point is that the signal to the house should *not* be a factor in a bad setup for a customer that is transitioning from digital cable to Ignite, by virtue of the fact they had a working service before the Ignite setup.

You seem to be suggesting that all the problems are related to wi-fi connections of the STBs. So can we conclude that if the STBs were connected via ethernet there would be no issues? It does appear from posts earlier in this thread that wi-fi for other devices also appears to be problematic for some. 

It's not quite that simple.  Several factors need to be considered when measuring the quality of the Internet connection.  The same goes for measuring the quality of Wi-Fi.

The signal to your modem can look fine but you can still experience severe performance issues with your Internet connection for other reasons.

Likewise, you cannot measure the quality of Wi-Fi purely based on signal strength.  (A lot of people try to do "improve" Wi-Fi by doing whatever they can to maximize transmit power on their router/gateway, and this can often cause more problems than it fixes.)

On my Internet connection, I look at my signal levels and error stats.  (I monitor those on a regular basis to make sure that my line performance is not degrading)  I also look at latency and packet loss.  All of those are the first things that I check if I start to notice problems with my service, but that is where the troubleshooting starts.

For my Wi-Fi, I now use business-grade Access Points.  Those provide me with more configuration options and more status monitoring/troubleshooting tools than any consumer equipment ever could.  I can tell PRECISELY how EVERY device on my network is performing and if there is any fluctuation or variance in any device's connectivity.

My Ignite TV service usually works well.  I can measure and manage all aspects of my in-home network, and I will never be calling Rogers for help troubleshooting problems.

Have I ever experienced problems with my service?  Sure.

Last year, there was a prolonged period, that lasted several months, where I experienced extreme latency spikes and packet loss.  It was due to a Rogers network problem, and I was able to determine EXACTLY where this was occurring, and I had a good idea as to why.  While this was going on, my modem signal levels were perfect, my error stats were clean, and if I had called into level-one support, they would likely have had absolutely no clue as to why the problem was happening, and most likely would have blamed it on some problem within my house.  (Surprisingly, Ignite TV worked amazingly well despite these issues!)

Another time, I had a set-top box that was defective.  This one box had been flakey since day-1.  I was occasionally getting audio and video dropouts and seeing other small glitches but I could not figure out why.  The Wi-Fi signal strength usually showed as either Good or Excellent and the RSSI averaged under -60 dBm.  With my consumer-grade access points, I could not see any problems with the connection either.  When I upgraded to the business-grade APs, I could see that my healthy Ignite boxes consistently had 866Mb/s connections on the 5GHz band.  However, the unhealthy one fluctuated between 866Mb/s all the way down to 12 Mb/s, and sometimes even worse.  When it dropped down to 6Mb/s, there was not enough bandwidth to sustain the HD stream and I got audio and video drop-outs.

Another time, I tested a wired Ethernet configuration.  However, even when wired, the Ignite STB still maintains its Wi-Fi connection... and I found that I could cause the STB to glitch when I introduced Wi-Fi problems.

I have seen many of the RDK and XRE errors that folks have reported here and there has always been a plausible explanation for why it happened.  I have also intentionally created problems in my network to see how Ignite TV would respond.

I have also experienced problems with the back-end tools on MyRogers for managing Flex Channels, etc.

Rogers has also made provisioning goofs with my XB6 gateway.

However, I can still emphatically say that my Ignite TV service usually works very well... and I am using the exact same Ignite TV service that everybody else is.  If the modem signal is good and the Internet connection actually is working well, any problems almost certainly would be due to in-home networking issues.  Occasionally problems can occur due to defective equipment.  I know that I can also EASILY cause all sorts of just by doing things that I know will disrupt Wi-Fi.