Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

Some useful questions and answers there. Some of them I have been thinking about myself, so thanks. Just a couple of other questions on Ignite TV to help complement the set:
- I understand that, as with the PVR, you can pause live TV, but it maxes out at 15 mins and then reverts to the live stream. Is that right? If so is this configurable at all? The Nextbox has a two hour pause buffer.
- Is it possible to watch a recording that is still on going? I currently do this on my Nextbox PVR with hockey games allowing me to fast forward through the commercials, and then finally catch up in the third period.
- If you are watching a 1080p stream, roughly how much of your bandwidth is taken up with that stream? I understand that it may vary for various technical reasons, but does anyone know of a conservative estimate?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chank wrote:

1.  I understand that, as with the PVR, you can pause live TV, but it maxes out at 15 mins
2.  Is it possible to watch a recording that is still on going? 
3. If you are watching a 1080p stream, roughly how much of your bandwidth is taken up with that stream? 

1. If you're going to be away for more than 15 minutes, set the programme to record instead of pausing.  This is done to conserve cloud recording resources which are limited and costly.

2. Yes.

3. About 10 Mbps, or a typically small percentage of your allocation.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chank wrote:

Some useful questions and answers there. Some of them I have been thinking about myself, so thanks. Just a couple of other questions on Ignite TV to help complement the set:
- I understand that, as with the PVR, you can pause live TV, but it maxes out at 15 mins and then reverts to the live stream. Is that right? If so is this configurable at all? The Nextbox has a two hour pause buffer.

No.  The Ignite TV set-top box doesn't have any local storage so it can only buffer what it can store in its memory.  For an HD stream, that's ~25 minutes.  However that's not really a huge limitation.  With Ignite TV, you can Restart many programs that are airing AND (most of the time) can also still fast-forward through commercials.  (Take that, Fibe TV!)

- Is it possible to watch a recording that is still on going? I currently do this on my Nextbox PVR with hockey games allowing me to fast forward through the commercials, and then finally catch up in the third period.

Yes!

- If you are watching a 1080p stream, roughly how much of your bandwidth is taken up with that stream? I understand that it may vary for various technical reasons, but does anyone know of a conservative estimate?

HD streams average up to 10 Mb/s.  This is a buffered stream, so the traffic will actually arrive in bursts.

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersTony  and others...Thanks for your responses. Regarding ability to only record 8 TV programs on main Box only and not each Xi6 box.....is a bit disappointing since with Legacy Digital TV, each Netbox 3.0 could record up to 8 concurrent programs. ie. 2 Netboxes  = 16. These are good to know answers as IP technology and Rogers Ignite service evolves. Will the Coda 4582 replaced with the XB6 boxes at some point this year?  Thx...all!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rjmaxim wrote:

...Regarding ability to only record 8 TV programs on main Box only and not each Xi6 box.....is a bit disappointing

By way of clarification. There is no "main box" all the boxes are the same and all the recordings take place in the cloud.  Even if you "remove/swap" a box, the recordings in the cloud are still there accessible from any box. This is especially useful if there is a power failure at your home. The recording still takes place in the cloud.

It would take an extreme user indeed to need to record more than 8 programmes at the same time, especially in light of the retransmissions of certain programming as well as time shifting.

I Plan to Stick Around

@57 Thx....Glad to hear Customer feedback on this. Rogers store did NOT know and connected to Rogers Tech Support who said each Xi6 unit would be able to record 8 live programs.  But clearly it seems you can ONLY record up to 8 live programs per ACCOUNT, irrespective of how many Xi6 units.  It was a hypothetical question.....but family members with different program interest may want to record different TV channels. With multiple NB 3.0 boxes, you could record up to 8 TV programs per box.....since each NB had 8 tuners. True what you said, if power goes....your cloud recording will still work.  These are the Pros & Cons we all love to hear more about....as we gain more experience with Ignite. So please...post your experiences. The good, bad and ugly.

I'm Here A Lot

Ignite TV and Large Projection Screens in home Theatre

If you are considering switching to Ignite and have a large screen (i.e. 100" +) with an HD projector in a real home theatre, you will likely not be happy with video quality.  With cable, I was getting crystal clear displays on all HD channels and excellent depth of colour.  Blacks are now washed out, leaves looks fuzzy.  The output was very similar to Blu-Ray DVD quality.  This has all but disappeared.  I also have a 62" projection TV and the video quality lacks here as well.

While the Ignite signal (I have 150 GB speed) is fine (no dropouts) or digital blocking, it is clearly not in the same league as digital cable.  I have a high end HD projector, that equals any move theatre I have been to.  There are no adjustments that can be made to the boxes.  Rogers will come down and go the settings and make sure that the highest HD mode is selected, something anyone can do.

I knew there was a chance this might happen and I am sorry I decided to switch.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@hp9999 wrote:

Ignite TV and Large Projection Screens in home Theatre

If you are considering switching to Ignite and have a large screen (i.e. 100" +) with an HD projector in a real home theatre, you will likely not be happy with video quality.  With cable, I was getting crystal clear displays on all HD channels and excellent depth of colour.  Blacks are now washed out, leaves looks fuzzy.  The output was very similar to Blu-Ray DVD quality.  This has all but disappeared.  I also have a 62" projection TV and the video quality lacks here as well.

My general opinion about Ignite TV's picture quality is that it is better than Digital TV in some ways, not as good in other ways.  I always found Digital TV to be overly compressed.  It often looked good but wasn't always really that good.  I dunno.  Perceptions can be subjective so the things that bother me may not bother you, and vice versa.

With Ignite TV and IPTV in general, the IPTV encoders in the back-end can have trouble processing some source content, particularly when it is interlaced.  An IPTV stream is inherently progressive so interlaced content cannot simply be passed through.  (At the highest quality, we're talking about generating a 1080p stream at 60fps from a 1080i source.)  The fuzziness that you mentioned with leaves occurs partially because their motion is random, not linear.  When a complex scene pans, there can be annoyingly visible judder.  Rolling credits can also look absolutely horrible sometimes.  However, if you over-process when generating interpolated frames, you can get the dreaded "soap opera" effect.  Deinterlacing properly is also VERY compute-intensive.

I try not to let this bother me too much.  The Ignite TV picture normally doesn't look too bad.  We're also not subject to the same constraints as DTV when it comes to bit rates, and the encoders and codecs keep getting better, so I'm still hoping that we will eventually be able to get to the point where Ignite TV surpasses the quality of Digital TV in every way.

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the reply,

My comments about leaves was geared toward natural scenes with very little motion.   On my system, I have not found motion to be an issue nor do I see blurring.

On my old system, especially on close-ups of animal or people's faces were quite outstanding.  The lack of depth is my biggest peeve with Ignite.

Are the encoders up-gradable via a FW downloaded by Rogers? or does the hardware need to be physically changed?

Ignite looks fine on my 42" plasma set, quite similar to DTV because of the small screen size.  With Ignite, screen size matters especially for a home theatre applications.  There must be other users who have experienced what I have written about.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@hp9999 wrote:

Thanks for the reply,

My comments about leaves was geared toward natural scenes with very little motion.   On my system, I have not found motion to be an issue nor do I see blurring.

On my old system, especially on close-ups of animal or people's faces were quite outstanding.  The lack of depth is my biggest peeve with Ignite.

Ignite looks fine on my 42" plasma set, quite similar to DTV because of the small screen size.  With Ignite, screen size matters especially for a home theatre applications.  There must be other users who have experienced what I have written about.

As I said, perceptions of quality can vary from person to person, the program content that you are watching and the display that you are watching it on.  You might also need to make some minor adjustments to the settings/calibration of your equipment.

(For the problem with rolling credits, check out the end credits on a Doctor Who episode on Space CTV Sci-Fi.  On a home renovation show/program segment, you'll often see judder when the camera pans across a room to show off the completed reno.)

Are the encoders up-gradable via a FW downloaded by Rogers? or does the hardware need to be physically changed?

It can be either.  Encoders are EXPENSIVE so sometimes hardware upgrades are done incrementally, initially for the channels with the most challenging/problematic content.  I also don't have any specific knowledge about Rogers' current implementation or their future plans.  I'm only speaking generally from past experience.

The quality of Ignite TV has been getting better and better since its introduction.  The Rogers team also listens to our friendly, constructive feedback, and that's why I remain optimistic and don't get too upset about issues that come up; I'm confident they will be addressed over time.