Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

Just to add one point to this conversation, there have been posts in the forum which to me indicate that customers are up sold to the Ignite service, which is "supposed to take care of cable problems".  That is completely wrong and should never happen.  Shame on any Customer Service Rep who pulls that off.  My advice before leaping over to Ignite is to ensure that your cable service is running as it should be, and to never expect the Ignite service to magically cure cable woes.  

@chank indicated "........ the signal to the house should *not* be a factor in a bad setup ...."  Unfortunately, you can't assume that the cable system is up to scratch when customers make the leap from legacy to the Ignite system.  You're right, it shouldn't be a factor but unfortunately it is.  

Adding to this situation is the DOCSIS 3.1 upstream channel slowly going live across the network.  There is insufficient information presented to the customers and first tier tech support staff for the purpose of making a reasonable conclusion of the OFDM downstream and OFDMA upstream channel signal levels.  You need a second tier tech, or an onsite tech with adequate training and test equipment to fully diagnose the OFDM and OFDMA signal levels.  That's an ongoing issue, and at the current time, we're all flying blind when it comes to those signal levels and subsequent modem performance. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

Just to add one point to this conversation, there have been posts in the forum which to me indicate that customers are up sold to the Ignite service, which is "supposed to take care of cable problems".  That is completely wrong and should never happen.  Shame on any Customer Service Rep who pulls that off.  My advice before leaping over to Ignite is to ensure that your cable service is running as it should be, and to never expect the Ignite service to magically cure cable woes.  

We need to be specific when we talk about "cable problems".

I had a MISERABLE experience with Digital TV.  I was in a former Shaw territory.  I experienced picture glitches on some Switched Digital Video channels that agents in the Richmond Hill call centre could see on their TVs as well.  Rogers just could not get these problems fixed.

With an IPTV service, what matters most is the quality of your Internet connection and the quality of the IPTV service implementation itself.  If the Internet service is unstable, it will affect Ignite TV to at least some degree... just how badly depends on the severity of the underlying problems.  If your Internet service is stable, then it is at least possible for Ignite TV to work well.  A lot then depends on whether there are in-home issues.

I run Ignite TV over my own network gear.  The configuration is totally unsupportable by Rogers.  However, I look after my in-home network, Rogers provides me with a good Internet service, it all works, and we're all happy.

I also know that Ignite TV can work perfectly well in a Rogers-supported configuration.  It's my fallback configuration, that I switch to if I should ever need support.  I also have (less technical) family members that run in a Rogers-supported configuration fulltime.  Ignite TV and Ignite Internet works very well for them and they don't need to call me for support.  I did their self-install and my primary contribution to their stable service was using a Wi-Fi analyzer to find the optimal spot to place the Ignite gateway so that the entire home gets good Wi-Fi coverage; the gateway never gets moved, not even an inch.  However, I doubt that any tech will go through the effort of doing a Wi-Fi survey like I did, even in non-COVID times.

chank
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks everyone for your input. AFAIAC your experiences of getting it working and maintaining IgniteTV are actually putting me off even more and I expect others too that might be reading this thread. We don't have your level of technical expertise or the tools, and merely want a consumer based IPTV system to work out of the box. Your experiences tell me that Rogers IgniteTV is really not such a system, although I am sure that there are some people who have had a successful setup. Also I understand that people often have to reboot their TV boxes, which implies that there are still enough bugs in the software that need addressing.

I have a perfectly working digital cable system with a Rogers modem for internet. The modem wi-fi is a bit flaky, but after bridging it and adding my own router, things are much better. However, if I take the plunge and go IgniteTV it is a one way change. If the IgniteTV setup cannot be completed satisfactorily, then there is no way back. The only course of action is to change providers. So going back to the original subject of the thread "Should I make the switch to IgniteTV?", I think the answer is yes, if you like the features, aren't worried too much about power cycling the components regularly and have the technical skills (or know someone who has) to solve all the potential problems you are likely to face.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chank  Ignite TV is just another streaming service.  If it's glitchy, it means that the network is not capable of reliably delivering a 10 Mb/s HD stream, that actually gets delivered in bursts.  Given that Ignite TV a live stream, it does not have the buffer depth that something like a Netflix movie would have.  However, Ignite TV is capable of riding out network glitches and I have also seen it work fine despite adverse network conditions.

Bplayer
I'm a Senior Contributor

@chankhave you ever met an enthusiast that raves about how they fine tuned their cars engine, use synthetic oil, and have such a clean floor in their garage that you could eat off it? Does that put you off from buying a car and parking it a cluttered garage? It should not. @-G- is such an enthusiast, a fountain of knowledge, who goes to extreme lengths to help those less savvy, but maybe sometimes he gets a bit too technical.

I was a fairly early adapter of Ignite TV and experienced a few glitches in the early days, but now am completely stable. Out of caution and to prevent any issues I would reboot my PC, Ignite router and TV at least once a month. That has also changed as systems have stabilized and regular reboots have been taken off my todo list. In the rare situation where something does not seem right then a reboot is an easy process. Sorry, but the need for a regular reboot or power cycle is a non issue, and is not needed more frequently than your current system.

Anyone who has a stable legacy cable setup that does everything needed should not need to switch. But it is prudent to periodically explore the options, features, prices, and downsides.

chank
I Plan to Stick Around

@Bplayer wrote:

@chankhave you ever met an enthusiast that raves about how they fine tuned their cars engine, use synthetic oil, and have such a clean floor in their garage that you could eat off it? Does that put you off from buying a car and parking it a cluttered garage? It should not. @-G- is such an enthusiast, a fountain of knowledge, who goes to extreme lengths to help those less savvy, but maybe sometimes he gets a bit too technical.

Sorry @Bplayer , but your analogy doesn't work for me. If @-G- has to do that to his car to get it running and keep it working, then that car is not the car I would buy. I do appreciate that many of the contributors here have a wealth of knowledge and it is great that they share their time to help others on these forums. 

I suppose fundamentally, AFAIAC, there still seems to be too many potential setup and on going issues for me to risk signing up for 12 months to spend $200pm. I too, don't mind the odd power cycle, but I do mind when it becomes part of the solution.

I expect there will come a time where I will be forced off legacy cable either because the cost becomes too great or Rogers switches off the service.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chank  Yes, I go overboard fine-tuning my network and I investigate and fix every tiny squeak and rattle.

I also have normal, typical, non-technical family members whose Ignite TV setup works fine as well.  The only network maintenance that they do is dust the Ignite gateway from time to time.

My parents, however, have not switched to Ignite TV yet.  They are totally happy with what they have, and that's also a totally valid choice.

You don't need to be as obsessive as I am for Ignite TV to work well.  However, if your network's "Check Engine" light is on and it has blue smoke billowing out of the tailpipe, anything running on that network will not perform very well.

If you follow the tips in these articles on where/how to place your Ignite gateway, you should not have have any issues with Ignite TV.  If required, Rogers can also provide you with Pods, which will create a Wi-Fi mesh and will expand the Wi-Fi coverage in your home.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/02/the-ars-technica-semi-scientific-guide-to-wi-fi-access-point...

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/04/remote-work-lagging-if-you-cant-plug-it-in-upgrade-to-mesh/