Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

@chank wrote:

I note from another thread (https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/How-do-you-like-Ignite-TV-compared-to-Digital-Cable/...) that Flash is used for browser playback. Has this been addressed do you know?

Adobe Flash Player is no longer being used: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/ignitetv-rogers-com-no-longer-requires-Adobe-Flash/t...

Should have included that (HUGE change) in my list as well.  🙂

Lakewood75
I've Been Around

No
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Lakewood75 wrote:
No

That is a totally valid answer but it would be helpful, for us all, if you could share the specific aspects of Ignite TV that you dislike so much (or that are causing so many problems for you) that you would either advise remaining with Digital TV or advise going with a competing service.

jjjjy7
I Plan to Stick Around

I started this thread in March of 2019 and did in fact make the jump to Ignite TV. The tech doing the installation was great. Had everything up and running in less than one hour, tested the system, set up my tvs, checked speeds, etc.
Over the two years I think I have experienced many of the issues that others have raised in various threads, but nothing extreme to the point where my service was unusable for days.

Most of the issues that I have experienced were corrected with power cycling or would correct on their own within a day or so. Some of the issues that I have faced with Ignite TV over the last two years are as follows:
- slow down/poor quality during early evening hours
- audio out of sync with video
- voice controls not working
- set top boxes in general (wish they would just get rid of these boxes)
- recorded programming disappearing
-the guide freezing, causing me to reboot
-remote draining batteries daily
-flex channel changing has never worked for me (I don't even bother anymore)
-unable to access Youtube, Netflix at times (though works perfectly on my smart TV)

I will say that the second year has been better than the first. Overall I have found the waits to get through to tech support have been mostly acceptable, and the degree of help varies depending on which tech I speak with. That said, I have found that beyond the basic support (power cycle), I have either had to replace the STBs (I think I have replaced them 3 times each) or just wait 24 hours for the problem to correct itself. I strongly dislike however when the tech gives me the standard line "there is no problem on their end". This is clearly not always the case. In the case of 4k tv, nobody in my city could access it for a period of time - but it wasn't a problem on 'their end'... ok

Overall, I do like the service when it works and is an improvement on the digital tv I had. At least once a week I have to power cycle something or attend to some issue with the service. After a trying two years, Rogers has decided to raise the price of my TV service, which has led my family to wonder how much longer we will keep the service. Since the pandemic, most of our viewing time has gravitated to streaming services on our smart TV. Prior to that, we liked the TV for live sports and subscribed to the sports package. But over the last year we hardly watch live sports since many sports have either been cancelled, condensed, or turned into social justice warriors; and truthfully we don't miss it.

So in conclusion, Ignite TV (at least for us) has been an improvement over digital cable despite all the technical challenges. I have no experience with Bell, so I can't compare the services. That said, for us it's not so much all the features that are added to Ignite, but rather a lack of content. We are watching less live TV, and more streaming services. I suspect at some point we will just move on from the service - especially if prices continue to rise.

ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jjjjy7 wrote:

I started this thread in March of 2019 and did in fact make the jump to Ignite TV. The tech doing the installation was great. Had everything up and running in less than one hour, tested the system, set up my tvs, checked speeds, etc.
Over the two years I think I have experienced many of the issues that others have raised in various threads, but nothing extreme to the point where my service was unusable for days.

Most of the issues that I have experienced were corrected with power cycling or would correct on their own within a day or so. Some of the issues that I have faced with Ignite TV over the last two years are as follows:
- slow down/poor quality during early evening hours
- audio out of sync with video
- voice controls not working
- set top boxes in general (wish they would just get rid of these boxes)
- recorded programming disappearing
-the guide freezing, causing me to reboot
-remote draining batteries daily
-flex channel changing has never worked for me (I don't even bother anymore)
-unable to access Youtube, Netflix at times (though works perfectly on my smart TV)

I will say that the second year has been better than the first. Overall I have found the waits to get through to tech support have been mostly acceptable, and the degree of help varies depending on which tech I speak with. That said, I have found that beyond the basic support (power cycle), I have either had to replace the STBs (I think I have replaced them 3 times each) or just wait 24 hours for the problem to correct itself. I strongly dislike however when the tech gives me the standard line "there is no problem on their end". This is clearly not always the case. In the case of 4k tv, nobody in my city could access it for a period of time - but it wasn't a problem on 'their end'... ok

Overall, I do like the service when it works and is an improvement on the digital tv I had. At least once a week I have to power cycle something or attend to some issue with the service. After a trying two years, Rogers has decided to raise the price of my TV service, which has led my family to wonder how much longer we will keep the service. Since the pandemic, most of our viewing time has gravitated to streaming services on our smart TV. Prior to that, we liked the TV for live sports and subscribed to the sports package. But over the last year we hardly watch live sports since many sports have either been cancelled, condensed, or turned into social justice warriors; and truthfully we don't miss it.

So in conclusion, Ignite TV (at least for us) has been an improvement over digital cable despite all the technical challenges. I have no experience with Bell, so I can't compare the services. That said, for us it's not so much all the features that are added to Ignite, but rather a lack of content. We are watching less live TV, and more streaming services. I suspect at some point we will just move on from the service - especially if prices continue to rise.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

It is possible things are improving.  I am a late-comer (Nov 2020), and have had very few problems.  I did exchange one TV box in that time (of 3).

We all have different content preferences, and it is always a trick to get the stuff we want, at the price we want to pay.

For some, streaming only will be the answer, for others it will be a "TV" package only, and for many, perhaps most, it will be some combination.  

Good luck with your future decisions.