Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

While I agree in general.. there are many parts to it.
Having been helping here for... well a long time now, LOL... I have seen just about everything.

Are there still disgruntled customer?? Yes.
But having been here.  I can tell you...  that even through out the time of digital TV, from early to the very end before Ignite, you would STILL see people come on here, with the SAME sorts of complaints.   Box not working, wifi is garbage, tv station problems (due to signal, etc).
So the same sorts of problems would crop up even with digital.

Much of those above, and a lot of the same complaints you see here, are not necessarily PRODUCT issues per say most of the time, but more so SETUP issue, or something like signal issues, etc.
Having been a Rogers customer since the Internet BETA program in 95 (with the blazing fast 256k modem!), I have had 100's of techs out over many years.

This is one thing I myself have complained about MANY times.  
The training and quality of the techs across the board, sometimes leaves things to be desired.
If you can get a good tech, they will do their due diligence.  Like the one I had out last when switching pods, he started the visit by checking at the street, the house, inside the house all for signal level, and even replacing the cable from outside to inside, all before even doing the OTHER stuff.
I have had others argue with me, setup things which I KNOW are correct (like bad mocha setup for the old whole home, etc).
Some definite QC is needed on the techs.. and that would solve a good majority of the issues.

The streaming thing you bring up is one that initially I was not sure of.
And early on in its life cycle had some issues (none which are there now, as long as your internet signal, etc is good).
Working in IT myself, and helping with peoples personal stuff all the time.  And data loss is often a big thing people have.. and the amount of people that dont back things up.
Having local is great.. until the storage stops working.
Comparatively... i would ASSUME that on the rogers end, that most recordings are backed up on their storage side.
(I would actually like to learn more about the storage of these shows.. i wonder if they are 'recordings' in the same sense where the local PVRs record the stream itself.. if its more of a copy from the back end??)  So there are some advantages that way.

Hopefully it will be a while before everyone is forced over.

ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chank wrote:

There aren't enough new features either to entice me over. Why do I want to talk to my remote to get it to do things? 

It is interesting that many people have this outlook.

The "voice" feature is actually one of IGNITE's best features.  

Think of how kludgy the Digital guide is, when you want to search for a program days ahead.  You know it is supposed to be on Monday or Tuesday, but your are not sure of date or time.

Or maybe you missed an episode.  Did your wife record it, or maybe is it available "on demand"?

"search xyz" and three more key pressures gives you the completely list of episodes for "xyz"...  "old" and "upcoming".  UPCOMING is separated by "NEW", and REPEATED.   

Pick an "upcoming" episode,  and you get the list of play times... record it, set a reminder, or just remember the date and time, if you wish. 

Pick an "old" episode, and you get to watch it.  It could be coming from "on demand", or from "recorded", no matter..

No fumbling with  the guide, or fumbling with that less-than-friendly channel 100 on-demand.

You have 180 channels.  Do you remember the number of every channel?  Especially rarely-used channels?

"Find smithsonian", and there it is .

Is TSN5 channel 508 or 518?  "Find tsn 5" and it gets it. 

Yes, you will have to get used to it... and it might be frustrating at first, while you experiment to find which phrases work for you.  But in the end, it is one of IGNITE's best features to get around the "guide" quickly.  Much MUCH more convenient than the guide,  and especially the guide in Digital.

ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chank wrote:

And in fact there are features that we would lose, like the fact that I can pause live TV for two hours! (I can get a lot of distractions). 

And frankly I am not sure the principle of cloud storage is the right approach for a consumer product. The wi-fi hub could have had disk storage that could have been used for all devices on the network. Why not stream once and record locally, rather than stream every time I want to play anything including recordings? (Perhaps anyone can correct me if I have misunderstood any of these "features").

The "cloud-storage" argument would have more support, IF we could actually "DO SOMETHING" with our local recording (on "Digital "TV")

We cant take it to the cottage... or to a friends house.  

We can't even watch it in our own home, Unless we are connected to a Rogers Cable, AND have a Rogers Digital TV plan, AND it is a licensed/registered box.

Since I can't do anything with it anyway, why do I want all that hardware with those big discs, eating up MY power?

With the recording in the cloud, I can take my laptop to the cottage, or on a trip...  and if I can find internet... log on to my IGNITE account at rogers, and play my recordings OR even live TV on my laptop.  If there is a big-screen TV nearby, I can cable my laptop to mirror its display on the TV... ... the watch the same stuff ... totally ... that I can at home.

As to "streaming every time"....

The IGNITE internet will be like 150Mbps...

4k video... 4k....  requires like 25... HD about 1/4 of that.

I have about 30 times the bandwidth required.  When I consider MY cost of amortizing the hardware, plus power, I would think that it is cheaper FOR ME to repeatedly stream, rather than store locally.

It DOES fail if the internet fails... but then Digital fails if the cable fails.   I am not sure, but I think that ... from Rogers to my house.... the internet has many more possible paths  than does the cable.  

Having said all that, the 1 year limit IS a step down... And since they have a limit on hours, I do not understand why the 1 year limit is necessary.

By the way... my "live tv" pause lasts about 20-25 minutes.  I don't think I ever tried the "limit" on Digital.

mr_intnl
I've Been Here Awhile

My main TV is hard wired to the modem and it's still freezing. Two of my neighbors are reporting the same problem. I am assuming it is an issue at the box for our street.

ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mr_intnl wrote:

My main TV is hard wired to the modem and it's still freezing. Two of my neighbors are reporting the same problem. I am assuming it is an issue at the box for our street.

I'd be interested if you ever got an explanation from Rogers?

RogersLaura

Hello @mr_intnl,

Thanks for the update to your situation! Having your service continuously freeze at random can certainly make for a poor experience.

If multiple people on your street are experiencing the exact same issues, it could very well be a maintenance issue. By any chance, did you already report this to our Technical Support team here at Rogers? And has a ticket been lodged on your account?

If not and you still need us to investigate this for you, please do send us a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please check out our blog

Thanks so much,

RogersLaura

ChanPatr
I Plan to Stick Around

@ColdGranite wrote:

1. got rid of the big clunky boxes. the IGNITE TV boxes are smaller in length-width than a cd jewel case.  And thinner that than 3 cases stacked.   If you own your boxes, ask for a credit for handing them in.  

You can get a credit on the digital cable boxes that you own? I didn't think this was possible.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ChanPatr wrote:

@ColdGranite wrote:

1. got rid of the big clunky boxes. the IGNITE TV boxes are smaller in length-width than a cd jewel case.  And thinner that than 3 cases stacked.   If you own your boxes, ask for a credit for handing them in.  

You can get a credit on the digital cable boxes that you own? I didn't think this was possible.

I can't find a link to the original announcement but here's link to a Community post with the details about the NextBox credit: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Account-Support/Rogers-buy-back-PVR-HD-box/m-p/447248/highligh...

ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-G- wrote:

@ChanPatr wrote:

@ColdGranite wrote:

I can't find a link to the original announcement but here's link to a Community post with the details about the NextBox credit: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Account-Support/Rogers-buy-back-PVR-HD-box/m-p/447248/highligh...

Yeah... there IS something there that worries me a bit.

The linked post says:   **Technicians cannot return the boxes on behalf of the customer** .

When I was negotiating with the agent, she mentioned the mailer and sent me the QR code to get the label printed, etc.  But later, when I was going to return the old modem, the store clerk said that THEY can take and send the old NEXTBOXes for credit.  So I did not bother with the mailer, and just delivered the boxes to the Rogers store.

I'm hoping that really WAS okay.   Oh well, just waiting a few billing cycles, I guess 😏

Elmo3
I've Been Around

No. I’ve had nothing but problems.

I have older TVs and I’m forced to use the original remotes plus those issued by Rogers. One to turn on/off and mute the TV and the other to change channels. Constantly losing the signal and it’s a royal pain fiddling with wires to get it back. I’ve had to call for tech support numerous times.
I wanted to revert to cable but once you switch to Ignite, you’re stuck. 
Don’t make the same mistake I did. Rogers has way more fine tuning to do with this system.