Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

@seadooxp30 wrote:

it works perfectly if you don't have issue with lines outside your house or node.

Good luck if you do. No matter what you are going to have lots of issue.

My advise, stay with digital service ...

I'm going to switch to Bell since I have nothing but issue. 2 months of calling and endless tech coming to my house ..

@mubashir56  I truly feel bad for anybody who has had a negative experience with Ignite TV but I can also honestly say that my experience has been very good.  When a technical glitch did come up, Rogers was VERY quick at fixing it.

Before I got my Ignite TV service installed, I had already had an existing Wi-Fi network and (wired) Ethernet network (using my own equipment) that was absolutely 100% stable and reliable.  (The Rogers install tech confirmed this and saw no reason to up-sell me to an eero mesh.)  If the network foundation (in-home network and Rogers Internet) is solid then Ignite TV should work great as well.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Dear -G-

My present Rogers internet Modem is in my  2nd bedroom (which is in the middle of three bedrooms) and I am getting good WiFi speeds as far as all the bedrooms are concerned. When I walk to the living Room, the WiFi drops too low! I have therefore installed powerline adapters which seem to be helping! I was thinking of installing Mesh WiFi but changed my mind as there are no electrical receptacles in hallway to plug two or three pods!  

In other words, I am happy with my present setup and only wanted to switch because internet and cable TV charges are going up by about $55 next month which hurts [I am a retired senior]. 

What I am hoping to do [if I decide to go ahead] is for the tech to make a thorough assessment prior to switching over and make sure the TVs in the bedroom will have a steady strong enough WiFi signal to work. Living Room should not be an issue because that's where the new Ignite Modem will be installed next to the Rogers cable modem wall jack. 

I hope, if I decide not to switch, I won't be hit with installation charges.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mubashir56 wrote:

Dear -G-

My present Rogers internet Modem is in my  2nd bedroom (which is in the middle of three bedrooms) and I am getting good WiFi speeds as far as all the bedrooms are concerned. When I walk to the living Room, the WiFi drops too low! I have therefore installed powerline adapters which seem to be helping! I was thinking of installing Mesh WiFi but changed my mind as there are no electrical receptacles in hallway to plug two or three pods!  

In other words, I am happy with my present setup and only wanted to switch because internet and cable TV charges are going up by about $55 next month which hurts [I am a retired senior]. 

Thanks, it all makes sense now.  Do you have HVAC plenums (or something similar) behind the walls directly between the living room and the current location of your cable modem that could be blocking the Wi-Fi signal?  If that's the case, the living room may not be the best location to place the Ignite TV modem.

It is possible that you might also be able to get the coverage that you need with an eero mesh; the eero Hub is connected to the modem via Ethernet so it is possible that if you position things optimally, you could still get good connectivity between the Hub and Beacon and "get around" serious obstacles that are severely attenuating your Wi-Fi signal.

What I am hoping to do [if I decide to go ahead] is for the tech to make a thorough assessment prior to switching over and make sure the TVs in the bedroom will have a steady strong enough WiFi signal to work. Living Room should not be an issue because that's where the new Ignite Modem will be installed next to the Rogers cable modem wall jack. 

I hope, if I decide not to switch, I won't be hit with installation charges.

I don't know Rogers handles any of these things.  My install tech only had a 2-hour period in his calendar to complete the installation and he was waaay behind schedule before he even started.  Rogers not in the business of providing free Wi-Fi consultations and there's no guarantee that your install tech will have the experience needed to resolve anything more than the most basic Wi-Fi problems.

I would definitely speak to somebody (does Rogers still assign a Concierge to new Ignite TV Customers??) or send a PM to @CommunityHelps  IN ADVANCE to discuss your current situation.  You don't want to be dealing with any surprises on installation day and might even want to postpone your Ignite TV installation date.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks G for the suggestion to call the Concierge assigned in advance ! Great idea!
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I agree that the 1080p signal should be the same irregardless of whether it is digital cable or WiFi but they are not.  I have a PS3 and the roger box connected to my video/amp.  The PS3 and rogers box both have Netflix.  Playing the exact same programme from the PS3 looks better than the Rogers signal.  PS3 is getting signal via WiFi, the same as the Rogers box.  This leads me to say, it is the rogers box.  the sharpness and depth of the video is not same.  I have tried setting the amp to pass-thru, fixed video such as 1080p and they are result in no improvement.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I was talked into Ignite by a Rogers sales person because they would give it to me for less money per month than my regular cable. I have had 4 technicians including the first installer come to try to fix it and NO ONE can fix it! So I've wasted 4 days coming home from work to let the technicians in and they still can't fix it! On 2 of the 4 TVs, the sound gradually falls more and more behind the picture so the picture and audio are totally out of synch! It looks like I'm watching a poorly dubbed movie! It's SO irritating! Since installation, they've sent 3 technicians including a "senior" technician and none of them know how to fix it.  I was promised that if the senior technician couldn't fix it, they would switch me back to regular cable TV and now they are REFUSING to do that! The 2 TVs where it's not functioning properly are virtually new and they're blaming my TV! Why are they rolling this out when they haven't got the bugs worked out! They refuse to do anything about it after being promised that I could switch back to regular cable if they couldn't fix it. What a sham!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Because if ANY waited to 100% of all the bugs were gone, the thing would never be released.
(look at windows, there are bug fixes YEARS after its an out of date operating system).
Especially with things like this, it can be brand/model specific.   Do you expect rogers (or another company) to test it on every single model of tv ever released that could connect with it?

Myself, knowing 10+ people on ignite, only one of them, on one TV I have seen the audio issue.  The rest are fine.  So it may be very specific to particular brand/or a setting, etc.

I wonder if it has something to do with the TV passing on dolby surround sound, and some TVs not processing it right?  The box will output dobly so a surround sound will get full surround sound, etc. 
But not everyone has this. 

Not sure what the rogers techs did for you (as they probably did more replace hardware, signal, etc wise, not settings on the box itself?)
Have you tried switching the audio settings in the box?  I think they default to Auto, try changing it away from that? Could be a handshake type issue when its set on auto.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

-G-

So far so good! The Tech came, assessed the situation and assured me that I should not have any issues with Ignite WiFi based TV. 

He placed the Ignite Modem in the second bedroom and for the desktop computers and my Network Storage Device added a four port switch box since the Ignite Modem only has two ports.  Well, the signal strength for the two adjoining bedrooms was great, but the Living Room only had 7-10 Mbps!! He tried Rogers Pods, but that did not help. He then tried my own Powerline Adapters [PLCs] and that turned out to be fine as we were getting about 50 Mbps in the Living Room.

To the PLC in the Living Room, we then connected the Infinity Xi6-T box.  Turned out that did it and the TV seems to be working okay even with 8K YouTube videos!!

I had issues trying to add The Xi6-T box to my Harmony 650 Remote but after reading a few posts in the Rogers Community Forums, I was able to get that going as well. So.....so far, all's well that ends well. 

Thanks for your useful suggestions. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

End of contract. So, I am coming to the end of my contract. I have been shopping options after being with Rogers for close to 30 years, it seems that ignite is the way to go if you want to be with Rogers. The competition is Bell though and as much as I dislike Bell, even the Rogers rep says they can’t come close. My options are ignite for more money and way less content, my existing service for more money or Bell Fibe with way more content and quite a bit less than Rogers. If I cancel I’m told that someone from a loyalty department will call and try to seduce me back after a couple of days, don’t they realize that I would already have something organized with another service? Why oh why won’t they do that to stop me leaving in the first place. Did I say I’ve been with Rogers for close to 30 years? I am, needless to say very disappointed with Rogers. Thousands are leaving their services and moving on because of cost and their answer is to raise prices to recoup the lost revenue. How about be competitive to start with and people will stay. I’m wondering if you are listening Rogers.....

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Reilly11  What Fibe TV offers are you looking at and what are you comparing it against?  Be very careful when looking at their packages, promotions and pricing.  Ignite TV is competitive and even offers some compelling advantages over Fibe TV.  I am a former Fibe TV customer and have absolutely no regrets switching.  There are also some signs that (after a 2 year delay) Bell may finally be switching to the MediaFirst platform and rolling out some new set-top boxes.  This is still unproven and buggy technology so be prepared for what might be a very rough ride.