Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

I was a former Digital TV customer and cancelled my service (twice) because Rogers could not resolve the constant pixellation and macroblocking that I was seeing on switched digital video channels or get bugs fixed in the set-top box software.

So far, I haven't experienced any major problems with Ignite TV.

hp9999
I'm Here A Lot

I am curious about how many of those responding to my issue have large screen (100" +) projection system. That really is my main complaint. For my system Dgital TV and my HD projector, it was a perfect match in terms of high quality video.
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its outputting the SAME video standards.. 720, 1080i, 1080p, etc.. so it really shouldn't change from the one box to the other.
(Unless you were using an older box, which wasnt doing 1080?)
One thing to look at would be the video settings.. change from AUTO to a fixed resolution, as that might improve stuff (rather than it trying to match a resolution from the display device)

hp9999
I'm Here A Lot

The old Netbox3 was switched out and the new Rogers installed.  No changes at the projector settings.  Signal was 1080p so the Ignite box must be doing some "post-processing" otherwise, I would have expected it to be virtually the same video quality.

I tried changing the video settings (720p, 1080i) on the Ignite settings but no changes.

mubashir56
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello All

Rogers tech scheduled to come and install Ignite TV and Internet in my apartment this Thursday.

My only concern is thick concrete walls in my three bedroom apartment with no receptacles in the hallway to plug any pods! 
I would therefore, like for the technician to first make a thorough assessment because I don’t want to end up having 500 Mbps speeds in the living room where the cable jack is and 50 Mbps in the bedrooms!!

I also have three desktops hooked up by Ethernet to my present Rogers Cable modem and am wondering how will I deal with them with WiFi internet alone? Will I have to buy USB Wifi adapters? If yes then which ones? PCIE cards or USB?

I would like the option to go back to the present digital system if I am not happy with Ignite TV and internet.

Any advice to a newbie would be appreciated.

hp9999
I'm Here A Lot

My understanding is you cannot go back once they switch you over as they are trying to migrate everyone to Ignite.   I  have also being told by Rogers that I can go back but they will charge you more for your old package.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Pretty much once its activated, yeah, its hard to go back.

3 bedroom.. it shouldnt be that horrible.   Even with the concrete.
Worse case, maybe put a pod in each room.. First room would get enough from the modem, then B from A, etc?

As for Ethernet, the modem does have 2 ports.
Rogers usually if you need more, will install a small switch there at the modem.  (or you could install your own).

mubashir56
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for your reply.
Since the modem with an Ethernet port is going to be installed in the Living Room, I guess I will have to run a Cat 6 cable through the kitchen, first bedroom and then to the second bedroom (a distance of about 40 ft) where my present modem [to which I have a four port switch connected for the desktops] !! 

The TV in the living room should be fine [being in the same spot where the modem will be installed] but we have two more TVs in the 2nd and 3rd bedrooms. They would need a strong enough WiFi signal to work !! 

I am going through the posts and feel hesitant at this point to switch over as I have a great setup right now in working order [with the help of two power line adapters].

The only incentive being a lower monthly cost! My monthly charges for internet and TV are going up by $50 plus next month! As a 40 years plus Rogers customer, I deserve a break but looks like Rogers want customers to switch over to Ignite WiFi so they are not offering any discounts on the old system!

seadooxp30
I Plan to Stick Around

it works perfectly if you don't have issue with lines outside your house or node.

Good luck if you do. No matter what you are going to have lots of issue.

My advise, stay with digital service ...

I'm going to switch to Bell since I have nothing but issue. 2 months of calling and endless tech coming to my house ..

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mubashir56 wrote:

Hello All

Rogers tech scheduled to come and install Ignite TV and Internet in my apartment this Thursday.

My only concern is thick concrete walls in my three bedroom apartment with no receptacles in the hallway to plug any pods! 
I would therefore, like for the technician to first make a thorough assessment because I don’t want to end up having 500 Mbps speeds in the living room where the cable jack is and 50 Mbps in the bedrooms!!

Hi.  Your concerns are understandable but how are things working for you right now with your current setup?  Are you getting good Wi-Fi speeds now or are you considering a switch to Ignite TV with the hopes of improving Wi-Fi speeds in the bedrooms?

If you are getting respectable Wi-Fi speeds and signal levels throughout right now, then make note of the 2.4 and 5GHz channels that are currently being used and replicate those settings when the XB6 Gateway gets installed.  Pods are also totally optional and you will be better off not installing them if you don't need them.

It's not easy to get good Wi-Fi performance in an apartment building due to interference and channel congestion from neighbours and interference from building materials.  If you are looking to improve an already bad situation, the added Wi-Fi traffic from Ignite TV could make things even worse.  The installation tech may or may not be able to improve your Wi-Fi speed and coverage with the equipment available on hand in the truck.

Is (wired) Ethernet available in any or all of your bedrooms?

I also have three desktops hooked up by Ethernet to my present Rogers Cable modem and am wondering how will I deal with them with WiFi internet alone? Will I have to buy USB Wifi adapters? If yes then which ones? PCIE cards or USB?

The XB6 Gateway has 2 LAN ports.  The install tech can probably also provide you with a small LAN switch at no charge that will allow you connect your desktop systems via Ethernet.

I would like the option to go back to the present digital system if I am not happy with Ignite TV and internet.

From what I hear, it is getting harder and harder to do this, or to even activate a new Digital TV service.  It may not be possible to reactivate the Digital TV service anymore if Rogers has removed that option from their computer systems.

If you are looking to switch an existing home phone service to the new service then this could further complicate things if you should run into problems with Ignite TV and need to revert back.  Make sure that the tech does not complete the port of your existing number until you are both sure that the Ignite TV service is working properly.