Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

Absoultely not...if you want 1080p or better picture quality and fast wifi speed.

I switched from digital cable to Ignite and absolutely regretting it!!!!

Once installed, the wifi speed dropped by over half (80mbps to 20-30mbps). The wifi pods didn't even help.

The picture quality is more like 480/720p. It's like watching an old tube TV...very disappointing.

One TV couldn't even be programmed into the Ignite remote because it couldn't find a code.

Also, if the internet goes down...you lose both your TV and phone as well.

A lot of their speed testing is based on 5G not 2.4G.

I don't understand why people like this service.

Internet vs digital cable...internet loses

I'm going to get my digital service back.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@boylebj wrote:

The picture quality is more like 480/720p. It's like watching an old tube TV...very disappointing.

You need to call Rogers and get them to investigate.  Ignite TV's picture quality should be on par with what you had with Digital Cable.  Ignite TV streams with adaptive bitrates and will drop to a lower quality under adverse network conditions... but this is not normal and should not be happening for any sustained period of time.

To accurately measure the current speed of your Internet service, you need to use a wired connection.  Speed tests on Wi-Fi can vary greatly due to a number of factors but if your wireless network is not performing well then this will also impact the quality Ignite TV.

I've Been Here Awhile

I would have to agree with you on this. I like the concept but it fails badly.

I already gave away my boxes or I would go back to digital. Considering switching to Bell, but I don't believe it will be much better.

I've Been Here Awhile

Most companies now use Internet technology...digital cable is fading away.

I don't think the Internet technology is ready for TV yet (as far as Pic quality)

The Modems seem to be under powered especially if you now have to connect TV(s), phones, computers together.

I like a lot of the functioning features on Ignite TV but not at the cost of poor pic quality and subpar wifi speed.

I also don't like the fact that you lose all of you communication devices (TV, Phone, Internet) if the internet goes down.

I've Been Here Awhile

I am in Ottawa, south end and am going on 3 weeks + with my Ignite switch over - I have been very satisfied with the results. 2000 SF bungalow, router in the basement with 1 pod upstairs and my pic quality is better than it was on cable - and that's with our older eyes, we can definitely tell the difference. I have had 1 internet drop out for a couple of minutes or so which happened just the other day, that has been my experience. I have been impressed with the technology of the Ignite pkg, the voice command remote and everything else.

And at the end of the day, Rogers made the switch over impossible to neglect financially. My new package is costing me less $.

I can appreciate the frustration that some of you have had and hopefully you find resolution through Rogers and get the product functioning as it should. There must be solutions, although I know how frustrating it can be dealing with any of the large telcoms - I had my own issues switching over with not 100% smooth interaction and follow-ups, a few balls dropped. Fortunately I have the freedom/time to hound-dog the issues and wait on calls and on-line chats to get answers, despite the teeth clenching.

I would just add that while reading some of the bad experiences here and acknowledging their legitimacy, bear in mind that like me there are many happy folks - happy folks unfortunately aren't surfing the web to tell everyone how happy they are with a service - as we all know it is the unacceptable experiences that are searching out help/forums/etc and can make things look like the sky is falling.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@boylebj wrote:

Most companies now use Internet technology...digital cable is fading away.

I don't think the Internet technology is ready for TV yet (as far as Pic quality)

I first started working with IPTV 15+ years ago.  I've seen it at its best and I've seen it at its worst.  I can't relate to your experience but my Ignite TV picture quality is generally on-par with Digital Cable; better in some ways, not quite as good in others, but of a similar quality overall.  What excites me is that as IPTV encoders improve and we adopt better codecs, and we get higher-quality source material, it has the potential to be even better than legacy technologies because we're not subject to the same technical limitations and are only limited by the available bandwidth.

The Modems seem to be under powered especially if you now have to connect TV(s), phones, computers together.

I like a lot of the functioning features on Ignite TV but not at the cost of poor pic quality and subpar wifi speed.

The XB6 gateway is actually pretty good as far as modems go.  Wi-Fi is what it is and if it the person who is installing it does not know what he or she is doing, both you and your neighbours' Wi-Fi performance will suffer.

I also don't like the fact that you lose all of you communication devices (TV, Phone, Internet) if the internet goes down.

Okay, but in practice, Internet is the most reliable service for me so it makes sense to use it for voice and TV as well.  Yes, the XB6 is a single point of failure; if that goes, I lose all services.  I have mine on a UPS so that my services stay up and running in the event of a power outage.  I also have a cell phone for added redundancy.

I've had all of my services running "on the same line" for the last 20 years, even when I had voice and DSL with Bell... and with them, I've also lost all of my services at the same time (on more than a few occasions) due to line issues and due to human error.

I've Been Around

If this post helps anyone then it has served its purpose. I've had Rogers Cable (TV/Internet for over 10+ years now at two of my homes. I've recently switched one of them to Ignite TV and here's my experience thus far. I have 3 Televisions at one of my homes, and had Rogers replace them all with IPTV this past weekend. I use an ASUS router to control the internet previously and planned on using it after the Ignite install to control the internet at this location. Initially I was told that this was not possible but I did not say anything (helps that I was a network tech previously) and just let the Tech complete the install. When he was done, I logged into the new rogers modem and switched it to "bridge mode" and connected it back to my ASUS router. Needless to say, if you decide to go this route your wifi settings will change and you'll have to reconnect your IPTV boxes to the new wifi network. To accomplish this, once you have switched your rogers modem to bridge mode and connected it to your own wifi router, unplug the IPTV boxes and plug them back in after 30 seconds. It will take some time to get to the network settings screen (mine took about 5 mins) but once there, you can setup the wifi settings on the IPTV to connect to your own wifi network. I did this because my home has over 40+ devices connected to the internet and rogers modems (wifi routers) are not good or incapable of handling this many wifi connections at once. I did notice that the issue of freezing and voices lagging etc on one of the boxes and I decided to hard wire that box - issue solved (however in my case I had to plug in the internet cable and unplug IPTV box power and plug it back in for the connection to switch to Ethernet). Two days later and all 40+ network devices in the home are working without fail and all 3 IPTV boxes are working as expected. Picture quality is comparable to digital so no issues there for me. 

Like I said, hopefully this helps someone who's considering switching over or has already switched over and having network issues.

I Plan to Stick Around

The days of the Coda  4582 maybe numbered with IGNITE everything as a new Chapter for Rogers to compete with Bell Fibe and good for us to know a few things.

Anyone who has switched from the Coda 4582 Gigabit service to the Arris XB6 (Technicolor) modem with 1 Gbps service and Ignite TV.

Can you please confirm or comment:

. Are internet Speeds more consistent/reliable (No Drop offs, Latency issues, Frequent reboots, etc.).

. What has been your consistent mean speeds on (Fast.com ? other?)

. Are issues you experienced with the 4582 in the past now gone

. Are you able to do everything with the Arris XB6 as the 4582 before    

. Can the XB6 be set to bridge mode and used with your own (Mesh)/Routers to connect to the Xi6 STB.

. Can each STB only be connected to a TV with HDMI …...will NOT work with older TV’s that have only Coax, RGB or other Video/Stereo connectors.

. Will STB remotes only work with assigned STB’s and cannot be interchanged between TV/STB’s (Like the Netbox 3.0 PVR remotes).

. Can a Harmony remote including a basic 665 be easily paired to the Xi6

. Can each STB/TV connection record up to 8 concurrent TV channels limited to 200hrs/year per account (Similar to Netbox 3.0).

. Hypothetically can 4 STB’s in one account record 32 channels concurrently but limited to 200 hrs.

. Is first STB free but additional STB (Xi6) clients @ $8/month….no TV “watch only” pricing.

. Is it possible to switch back from Ignite TV to Legacy

Appreciate to hear your experiences with Rogers IPTV and the XB6 modem….or if you have any insights on the future of Rogers Internet/Modem strategy, particularly now with the rapid technology changes ahead (WiFi 6, 5G, etc.)  

Hello, @rjmaxim 

I can appreciate wanting to know all of the variables before making a decision to switch to the Ignite TV platform. I will do my best to answer all of your concerns and I shall tag in the Community and our RE's where I am unable to provide insight.

@rjmaxim wrote:

Are internet Speeds more consistent/reliable (No Drop offs, Latency issues, Frequent reboots, etc.).         

Speeds are quite consistent, I am using 500u and consistently exceed 400 Mbps using Wi-Fi on my Samsung Note 9. I rarely notice any disconnections but I do need to reboot the modem in the morning sometimes but not often. No noticeable latency issues, no issues with video streaming whatsoever.

@rjmaxim wrote:

What has been your consistent mean speeds on (Fast.com ? other?)         

Consistently achieving 400 - 500+ Mbps Download speeds using the Speedtest app by Ookla on a Samsung Note 9.

@rjmaxim wrote:

Are issues you experienced with the 4582 in the past now gone

Are you able to do everything with the Arris XB6 as the 4582 before  

I have not used the Coda 4582 so I cannot comment on this, can anyone in the Community chime in on this? @Gdkitty may be able to provide insight.

@rjmaxim wrote: 

. Can the XB6 be set to bridge mode and used with your own (Mesh)/Routers to connect to the Xi6 STB.

This setup is possible and many users in the Community have this type of setup but it is not supported by Rogers and we will not be able to properly troubleshoot issues, should they arise. @-G- will be able to provide insight on this type of setup.

@rjmaxim wrote:

. Can each STB only be connected to a TV with HDMI …...will NOT work with older TV’s that have only Coax, RGB or other Video/Stereo connectors.

The Xi6 Ignite TV box only has 1 HDMI output so if you are using older TVs without HDMI ports you would have to use an HDMI adaptor of some kind. We cannot guarantee that these adaptors will work as HDMI handshake issues can occur on older TVs.

@rjmaxim wrote:

. Will STB remotes only work with assigned STB’s and cannot be interchanged between TV/STB’s (Like the Netbox 3.0 PVR remotes).

The XR11 and XR15 remotes are RF-based and as a result, must be programmed to each Xi6 Ignite TV box otherwise they can accidentally control other Ignite TV boxes as a line of sight is not required with RF like it is in IR based remotes. It is very easy to pair the XR11 and XR15 remotes to a new Ignite TV box if you need to.

@rjmaxim wrote:

. Can a Harmony remote including a basic 665 be easily paired to the Xi6      

Harmony remotes are compatible with the Xi6 Ignite TV box but we are unable to assist with programming the remotes as it is not supported by Rogers. Several users in the Community has successfully paired their Harmony setups with the Ignite TV platform as indicated in this thread: Harmony Remote and Ignite

@rjmaxim wrote:

. Can each STB/TV connection record up to 8 concurrent TV channels limited to 200hrs/year per account (Similar to Netbox 3.0).

. Hypothetically can 4 STB’s in one account record 32 channels concurrently but limited to 200 hrs.   

The Ignite TV platform uses a Cloud-DVR that can record up to 8 concurrent TV channels across all of the Ignite TV boxes. Each Ignite TV box is not a PVR but it does connect to the Cloud-DVR remotely via Wi-Fi.

@rjmaxim wrote:

. Is first STB free but additional STB (Xi6) clients @ $8/month….no TV “watch only” pricing.         

That is correct, the first STB is free and each additional box is $8.00 +taxes/month. There is no "watch only" pricing.

@rjmaxim wrote:

. Is it possible to switch back from Ignite TV to Legacy         

Digital TV services are no longer being offered unless it is ordered as a standalone service without the Internet.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersTony wrote:

@rjmaxim wrote: 

This setup is possible and many users in the Community have this type of setup but it is not supported by Rogers and we will not be able to properly troubleshoot issues, should they arise. @-G- will be able to provide insight on this type of setup.

FYI, I just created a new discussion thread on this topic.

@rjmaxim wrote:

The Xi6 Ignite TV box only has 1 HDMI output so if you are using older TVs without HDMI ports you would have to use an HDMI adaptor of some kind. We cannot guarantee that these adaptors will work as HDMI handshake issues can occur on older TVs.

I asked about this when a tech got dispatched to my house recently.  He had a gizmo in his truck to convert an HDMI input to Composite AV (yellow / white / red) outputs.  I don't know how well it works -- you are reducing an HD signal to VCR quality -- but Rogers is now apparently providing solutions to accommodate at least some TVs without HDMI inputs.  The Ignite TV Concierge can provide you with more information on what options may be available to you.

@rjmaxim wrote:

The XR11 and XR15 remotes are RF-based and as a result, must be programmed to each Xi6 Ignite TV box otherwise they can accidentally control other Ignite TV boxes as a line of sight is not required with RF like it is in IR based remotes. It is very easy to pair the XR11 and XR15 remotes to a new Ignite TV box if you need to.

You actually can un-pair an XR11 or XR15 remote, which will cause it to output IR signals that can then control any Ignite set-top box.  You won't be able to use Voice Commands until you re-pair the remote, and the remote's volume and power buttons will still be set up to control the TV (or AV components) that it was configured for.  I don't recommend doing this but it is possible.