Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

Ya, they also won't tell me when my Dolby Digital will work on my recordings.  Do I wait 1 week?, 1 month?, 1 year? till I leave them alone cause it's my equipment?  Had this AVR for over 25 years, worked great, now it's my equipment?, and only for the recordings, every thing else works great.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Square wrote:

Had this AVR for over 25 years, worked great, now it's my equipment?, and only for the recordings, every thing else works great.

In my basement, I have an 18-year-old AVR that worked great with Digital TV as well.  Both were based on technology that was 15+ years old.  It didn't come as a surprise when I ran into weird interoperability issues with Fibe TV receivers.

I wouldn't be surprised either if all Ignite TV audio wouldn't work, but it is only for the Recordings!  Guess I'll be switching back to Digital.

Nextbox 3 losing Dolby Digital using Optical cable

Jimboden and others:

Let me clarify my situation.  My AVR only supports optical and Digital Coaxial.  The NB3 only supports optical.  All my other setups playstation 3, computer connected all to my AVR using optical cables, the 8642, the 8300 used the optical cable on my AVR without any problems.  Now with the NB3, I will lose my 5.1, it goes to 2 channel pro logic and is very loud!  This usually happens once a day, yet Rogers says it's my AVR??!  I've read other people with the same problem, yet they close my ticket because nobody else is having the problem??  They need to hire a person to read these forums and send the info to the engineers.

Also I'am on the new 4.0.130 software, the problem still exists.

That was from 2013, Rogers then tried to blame my AVR also!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Square wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised either if all Ignite TV audio wouldn't work, but it is only for the Recordings!  Guess I'll be switching back to Digital.

That is strange.  My old equipment is in boxes.  When I have a moment, I'll drag it out and test with Ignite TV.

I just tried hooking up my old AVR with HDMI, not Optical, guess what, still NO  Dolby Digital 5.1 on my recordings.  The front display on my AVR shows DD +, live TV has DD +, not the recordings.  Hey Rogers, I need to be switched back to Digital Cable!

Ok, found out why I have no Dolby Digital 5.1 on my recordings.  This feature is disabled, even reading the Comcast forum, the Cloud Recordings are in Stereo.  At least they have an option to get a Hard Drive PVR.  Next time any one watches a recording, listen to the back surround and you won't hear any sound!  So, because I watch 80% of my Tv Service as Recordings, this is unacceptable, and they say I can't go back to Digital, so will be looking for another provider.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Square wrote:

Ok, found out why I have no Dolby Digital 5.1 on my recordings.  This feature is disabled, even reading the Comcast forum, the Cloud Recordings are in Stereo.  

Would others (with an AVR) please respond to this issue?  I find it difficult to believe that no one else has noticed no DD5.1 on their recordings (or "improperly encoded" DD5.1 signals with sound coming out the LF & RF speakers only).  I rarely watch anything live, so this would be a huge issue for me if I were to switch to IgniteTV.   (I'm currently perfectly happy with Digital Cable.)

@Square : Do you have a link to the Comcast thread stating only stereo?  Or any evidence in this Rogers forum regarding your problem?  Would you please provide a list of some of the channels where you have encountered the problem?  Have you compared CP24, CBC, PBS (which may have the issue) to almost any other HD channels, like Crave, HBO, ABC, NBC, Fox, etc.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 the issue of stereo cloud recordings is mentioned in a few Comcast threads:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/DVR-versus-Cloud-Storage-Questions/td-p/3267413

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/recorded-shows-not-playing-5-1-surround-sound-on-main-X1-DVR/td-p/3...

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Xi6-T-4k-Incorrect-audio/td-p/3276160

The mention of stereo cloud recordings are in little snippets throughout those threads.

At least Comcast users have the option of using a local recording box which does record shows in 5.1

I had a quick look around the Comcast FAQs and there is no mention of differences in the recording of tv shows and movies when you use the cloud recording vs a local storage device.  There should be a page somewhere that indicates the audio modes that are available, along with any information on cloud versus local storage differences in video or audio. 

Maybe Rogers is simply piggybacking off of Comcasts recording servers and system.  End result, you get what you get.....

If the Ignite TV program manager was available via the forum, this question could be easily answered, along with the requirements for multiple SSIDs broadcast from the XB6 modems.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Square : I just reviewed many of your posts from 2013, 2014, etc.  You were having similar issues back then with your NB3 - no DD5.1, switching to DPL, etc....  Are you still using that AVR?

What "video" output setting are you using on the Ignite box?  If you're on "auto" try temporarily switching it to something like 1080i (a fixed setting instead of auto) and then try the various audio output options (including Expert) on your box.  Are you still connected "through" your TV?  If so, temporarily try direct to the AVR for audio if that's possible.

Also, after starting up your system, try simply changing channels to various HD channels (the ones I mentioned in my previous post) instead of viewing a recording.   Does changing channels have any impact on the audio?