Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

@rm8  Sorry to hear about your experience; hopefully Rogers will be able to get this sorted out. Just out of curiosity, if you log into your XB6 modem/gateway and look at the error stats on the Internet link, are you seeing a high number of errors, especially a high number of uncorrectable codewords?  (Look in "Gateway > Connection > Rogers Network", then scroll down to the "CM Error Codewords" section.)

Are you also seeing lots of errors in "Troubleshooting > Logs" / Event Logs?

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks so much.
I've Been Around

Don't waste your time or money.  We have had it for about 2 months and nothing but problems.  Always takes 2-3 weeks to get a service call. You would think if you called the day after someone was here because there was still no improvement that they would send someone right back out!  But no we are made to wait another 2+ weeks.  In the meantime we have not seen a show in it's entirety.  It blacks out and or freezes up to 30 times an hour. (Not an exaggeration).  We get the same answer "Your signal is strong".  We were told the problem is that they have too many customers and their technology and hardware can not keep up!  That's nice! The security system has never work. (Thank heavens it was a free signing bonus!) We are giving them one more try and that is still over a week away and if there is no improvement we will be breaking this contract!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have never had 2+ weeks before... 2-3 days maybe.. but yikes thats a lot!
Might be busy with so many installs, etc right now..

With those issues.. I highly doubt the signal is strong.
Unless its just that the modem signal signal is strong.. its possible that its otherwise.. that the wifi signal is not strong, interference, etc.

Not sure on the too many customers thing though..
As there are users (like myself) who dont have the issues.
Unless its more area related.. that they have different 'feeds' for the streaming, much like how different areas had different broadcasting for regular cable.  where one area could be more effected than another?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gdkitty  Actually, it totally makes sense that these problems are related to the number of customers that are being served in a given area.  Once the source signal is encoded, the IPTV stream then has to be routed to another device in the backend that sends the stream (at an optimal bitrate) to the the receiving device.  As the number of customers ramp up, capacity also has to be upgraded to accommodate increasing loads.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I just am not aware how on how distributed those distribution servers are/might be.
vs more fully centralized.
I am north of the GTA, but would assume that I might be on the same as like toronto..
But maybe not.

As I dont have those same issues.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gdkitty  I'm in the GTA, north of Toronto (when I had Digital Cable, I was served out of Richmond Hill; formerly Shaw territory) and my Ignite TV service is also rock-solid stable.

I've Been Around

I ordered the ignite before it even came out had to wait almost a month to actually receive it and have them install it, worst mistake i made was switching... its more expensive for really the lack of services the box gives you compaired to downloading the app on your phone.. money grab. No legit keyboard, arrows suck.. click click. No usb for maybe a keyboard hardwired. Nor bluetooth functions. Constant lag freezing glitch shuts off, sound is behind on video or vise versa cuts out or goes loud then you cant hear it. Ill be watching youtube/ netflix and it will just switch to tv on its own, sometime the sound playing is still youtube but its switched back to tv... nothing but constant everyday all day problems, i have one four boxes ones fried wont even turn on, down to three now. Oh and the internet service it needs to run isnt much either my ps4 online experience always glitches im constantly kicked from matches loosing connection to host...and rogers cannot fix any of these problems, of they could my problems would have been fixed a year ago
I've Been Here Awhile

Have digital Premier with ROgers (they moved me off the old VIP).   I need to cancel more current internet/phone to a new provider so figured may as well see what ROgers would offer on a bundle for tv/internet/phone.  They offered something that wasnt as cheap as some of the newer telco providers ( and only for 12 months) but figured out I'd give it a try.

When I tried to finalize 2 days later, CSR chat told me it was for Ignite TV!  1st CSR told me TV package would be exactly the same - clearly it is NOT!   I told them if I was switching to IPTV, which wasnt my 1st choice, they needed to offer some additional incentivesl.  THey said there was nothing they could do.

So I cancelled my Rogers TV on chat, they didnt try to stop me after 20 years (thats like $25k for TV!!!) and will move bundle to a new provider shortly.

Dealing with ROgers is just way too time consuming and, even worse, there is NO TRANSPARENCY.   In 5 minutes, I can find out online what I can get with another provider whith all the details and always way lower than it is after jumping through hoops with Rogers for calls/chats for days on end.

Its crazy!!!!!!

Appreciate that the independents have their own issues.  I have my cell with Freedom.  Switched 9 years ago from ROgers.  While not without any issues, it has been smooth, money saving, and NO aggravation (especially since my plan just stays the same vs. Rogers that actively does things to force you off your packages - they did with my VIP TV and now did the same with digital). 

Just crazy 

I've Been Here Awhile

Time to cut the Rogers cord. Very liberating.....