Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

@Yousuck222 I've re-read your post and am still shaking my head in disbelief.  The "Preparing for your Ignite TV Personalized Install" ( https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/preparing-for-your-ignite-tv-personalized-install ) only asks that you tell the Concierge if you require Rogers to install a jack (presumably a RJ31X) by the alarm system.  In your case, this should have been a simple switchover.

Did the Rogers install tech say WHY he needed to rip out the existing phone wiring?  Did you previously have a DSL-based Internet service that required installing a filter for the alarm system and if so, was it also wired in such a way that the alarm would not interrupt your DSL Internet connection when it seized the line?

I Plan to Stick Around

I am a Rogers customer with the traditional cable internet and TV and phone with Bell.

Due to the release of Ignite and Fibre bundles, I am currently paying at least $120 more on my current plans than putting all my services under either Ignite or Fibre.

I'm a techy person, so I've done my research on the hundreds of Rogers Ignite customers posting their pains for the past few months switch from their traditional cable services to wireless TV, internet and (voip) phone:

- bad/low signal quality for tv/internet

- internet speed drops or stops working sporadically 

- pixelated tv channels

I also understand from a Rogers Engineer that the specific wifi signal strength (measured in decibels db) using an app should be 60 or less from the distance of where the wireless tv receiver or wifi device (computer, phone) is located from the main Arris Modem.  

To add some more colour, my investigations show that the chipsets and firmware of the Arris Modem is created by Intel in which it was confirmed that even though updates have been released, that all pain points mentioned above plus additional ones not mentioned in this post is something they were trying to tackle. But in recent news, it sounds like Inte's modem division was sold to another company.

In order to combat these pain points, Rogers is offering me Eero Mesh Network which are basically wifi extender plugs. but at a cost of at least $10 a month, but at the same time the Rogers Engineer stated that it doesn't guarantee a strong signal based on the layouts of each house is different until the issue of the firmware of the modems are fixed which may take years at this rate.

As I work from home, I also need assurance that VPN (virutal private network) connections can be done by using either my company's VPN connection or one I purchased myself that is available on the internet in order to hide my IP information. From this perspective, I've been hearing that Rogers Ignite discourages VPN connections and may either not allow the connection to work or will throttle the speed enough to frustrate the customer to a point of disconnecting it.

I even went as far as to request an online user guide or video tutorials on how to setup the wireless tv receivers and modem, but apparently its intentionally not published and I must contact Rogers to talk me through the setup or pay $50 for someone to come to my home and do it for me. 

thx

tom

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would say that almost all the quality, picture, etc issues.  All come from the quality. Between internet & wifi quality.
My internet seems rock solid.  I dont get daily dropouts, etc.
These sorts of things, may be more location to location based.. where some other hardware outside of the house (node, etc) is causing it.
And Really i do not notice any quality issues on TV as well.    
But again, I do have he eero mesh myself, and good signal from those to where the TV boxes are.

VPN, in general, I think should work.
There is always a chance, of a particular modem's hardware/firmware, having an issue with a particular VPN.

With my work laptop, am currently running cisco anyconnect and am able to VPN with no issues into my workplace.
My personal machines, are able to use PIA personal VPN.

I Plan to Stick Around

please see my reply back to you

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I also work from home and am on Ignite and use several different flavours of VPN to my clients. Have not had any problem with any of the VPNs, Cisco anyconnect and Forti Client are the 2 I use.

My Ignite connect is rock solid. The only time it goes down is when some tech is at the Node box at the end of the street doing some work. Either than that I can count on one hand the number of times the internet has been down since I have had rogers from 2007. Always getting 200/15 anytime day or night.

Watching the problems people are reporting I would agree 1) signal to the street and 2) Wifi signal from X6i to modem. If either or these is bad then the Ignite TV experience is bad.

My X6i 2 are wired, 1 is wifi. My own router, Arris is in bridge mode. I have my house blanketed with 3 access points. Wifi is not a problem.

My install is the exception here. I don't have problems are reported here. Initially when installed July, 2018 yes there was problems but now it is a very good experience. Had several months of bad message waiting on the phone not working but has been resolved. Love the voice control.

I Plan to Stick Around

Do you mind if we connect and you can answer my laundry list of specific questions .. Maybe also entertain the idea of me coming over with my two laptops and do some tests of my own in order to see what the results are? I only need about 15-20 minutes of your time.
I Plan to Stick Around

@tdeliosI'll chime in as well.  First, full disclosure: I was a Bell Fibe TV customer for years.  My Fibe Internet was DSL/FTTN, not FTTH.  I would not wish the grief that I've been through with them on ANYONE.  EVER!!!

Like @Gdkitty , I've been fortunate in that (so far) my Rogers Internet service has been solid, my in-home Wi-Fi works, and my Ignite TV service has been working well.  If you're considering Ignite TV, the first thing that you should do is try it out at your local Rogers store to see how you like the service.  If you're in Toronto, check out the main store at 333 Bloor St. E.; sit on the couch, watch TV, and try out all of the features... and they have knowledgeable staff that can answer any additional questions that you may have.

As for the Arris vs. Technicolor XB6 modem, I've had both and both work well.  Both modems also have their own unique quirks.  Also, both modems passed the http://www.dslreports.com/tools/puma6 test and I haven't noticed any performance issues with the Arris.  I'm not a gamer, so that may or may not make a difference.

As for Wi-Fi, I used my existing mesh network.  I also like the eero hardware.  Rogers is also teasing, "Coming soon: Ignite WiFi pods to bring you Wall-To-Wall WiFi!"  Reading the tea leaves, it's a safe bet that Rogers will be offering Plume pods going forward.  Many people are also connecting to the XB6 itself.  The Xi6 set-top boxes don't rely on any proprietary wireless technology or any esoteric configuration of the underlying network so you have lots of choices.  They work great when wired as well, if that's an option for you.

Re: your concerns about VPN, what VPN client are you currently using and did you need to make any special configuration changes with your current setup?

Re: the Ignite TV setup itself, there's currently no self-install option.  You really should have this done by a qualified tech, if only to ensure that the Internet connection itself is absolutely solid.  The tech will also do a site survey of your house to confirm that the Wi-Fi coverage is sufficient and that the Xi6 boxes all have a good connection.  If you're also going to switch over your Bell phone service and keep your existing phone number, the tech will do whatever work is necessary to connect the XB6 to your in-home wiring and, if there are no technical issues, will also complete the final steps to port the phone number and activate it on the Rogers network.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Biollw ... great point regarding the blanketing of Access Points.

According to Rogers Engineer that originally came to my home to install Ignite (before I threw him out) stated that I am not allowed to use my own Access Point devices in conjunction to the Aaris Modem.. If I have dead zones, I was told to rent the Eeros Mesh Network for an extra monthly cost.

My question to you. Have you ever tried to setup on of your wireless tv receivers and connect it to the wfi signal of one of your own Access Point devices or is it mandatory for it to be connected to the Aaris Modem?

I Plan to Stick Around

@-G-  thx G..

I will definitely check out that specific Rogers store as the half dozen around my area in Markham don't even have it on display and can't answer my questions.

I Plan to Stick Around

@-G- 

My question to you. Have you ever tried to setup on of your wireless tv receivers and connect it to the wfi signal of one of your own Access Point devices or is it mandatory for it to be connected to the Arris Modem?