cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set up questions for Ignite package with TV and Internet (going from old Grand-father VIP packages)

sgardner2088
I'm here a lot

Hi -

I am considering moving from the grand-father VIP TV package plus 500D Internet), I am hoping someone can help here as I have a couple of on-line chats with tech support and I do not receive clear answers- more of sales pitch.

Here is my set up:

I have an old scientific Atlanta digital box and a cisco converter for TV.  

For Internet: I have a coda modem set up in bridge mode with a ASUS router as my AP /router.  

I have two dedicated cable lines (via a splitter in the outside rogers box) for each of TV and Internet.

Now for the Ignite package:

My understanding is that all traffic would go through one rogers gateway modem where internet and TV would go through this one device.  Re. one cable line where cable TV is really streaming via the one wifi hub and meshed with additional ones.  Thus, any bandwidth is shared with Internet traffic..  Is this true?  

Regardless of the traffic, could I still set up with with a separate wifi hubs for each of TV and Internet?  To expand:

a. Internet would till go through a rogers wifi hub in bridge mode with my router on top of it

b. rogers ignite wifihub for TV only.  

For many reasons including the fact hat I work from home and do not want any internet delays, router provides enhanced security, better wifi coverage, encrypted DNS, privacy, etc that any Rogers box cannot provide - no offense, 

Any help or answers would appreciated.  Thanks!

*** Edited Labels ***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Set up questions for Ignite package with TV and Internet (going from old Grand-father VIP packag

sgardner2088
I'm here a lot
Thanks all for your feedback. It was very helpful. I'll also ask some snb forums members whom have ignite setup.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Set up questions for Ignite package with TV and Internet (going from old Grand-father VIP packag

Lurker_Returns
I'm a reliable contributor
1. In terms of speed and bandwidth, the amount that TV takes up is negligible. Even with multiple TVs running, you won't notice any speed issues on the internet side. You can confidently run everything through the Rogers hub.

2. Yes you can bridge the Rogers hub and run your network through a 3rd party router ( I don't think you can use the Rogers hub as wifi AND another wifi router tho...you need to completely bridge the Rogers Hub and run all internal networking via third party router).

There are guides to do this on the forums if you do a quick search. Be advised, however, that if something goes wrong with a bridged setup, Rogers will not support it. You'll be on your own.

Bplayer
I'm a trusted contributor

I agree with the previous poster. In theory all that is possible. There are some good posts here about setting up and configuring you own modem to work with Ignite.

Basically, you should get the basic configuration and setup working. Then go to the next step putting the Rogers modem in bridge mode, connecting your router, verify internet connectivity, and reconfigure the Ignite TV boxes to use your wifi network.

sgardner2088
I'm here a lot
Thanks all for your feedback. It was very helpful. I'll also ask some snb forums members whom have ignite setup.
Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 3 in conversation