cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Services restored

jjjjy7
I'm a reliable contributor

Got my services restored around 1 am today, everything seems to be working well, except live tv.  It is very slow, taking about 20-30 seconds in between channel changes, partial freezing at times. 

*** Edited Labels ***

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Services restored

pp171
I plan to stick around

Similar issue here. Switching is slower, but not on all channels. Bigger problem is recordings. Can't play any of old recordings, and new ones are not accepted. It's as if the DVR Cloud is not working at all.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Although service has been restored mostly - Wireless, Internet, Home Phone. 

IgniteTV is still a work in progress.

- Channel changes are quite slow, but better than at 2AM.

- Can't watch recordings. They'll start and work for a short while, sometimes without audio, but after a few minutes, the recording just stops and I'm kicked out to the list of recordings, or to a channel.  Picture quality while watching goes up and down, sometimes looking more like 480i, or 240i.    I checked my Internet speed and it's fine, so this looks like a cloud/head end issue.  Tried both of my TVs/boxes.

- Live TV seems to be a bit better, but sometimes there are hiccups there too - audio, etc.

- This morning I tried to use my main computer, which is connected via Ethernet and it would not work.  Changed the cable to a different port on the gateway and it worked.  Confirmed it was one port that was not working. WiFi was working fine on all my devices including the main computer. Restarted the entire system using the WiFi Hub App and all appears to be working again.  @Gdkitty This may be the reason for your pod issues?

- Suggest people do a restart of their gateway, just in case.  This probably won't fix your issue with watching recordings, but at least you'll have a "fresh start" for everything else.

pp171
I plan to stick around

Live TV works relatively well for me, except for the mentioned slow channel changes. I am also glad to hear...not really glad, but it's good to know that I'm not the only one with recordings issue. I cannot access any. I see the list, they seem to be all there, but none will play.

Can you record anything new at all?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@pp171 wrote:

Can you record anything new at all?

Yes. All my recordings from yesterday and today appear to be there.  I can start watching them, but usually get kicked out.

I set a recording for CP24 by hitting the record button, waited a few minutes and went to that recording in the list and it was there. Played it for a short while just as a test, so I guess the answer is yes, but whether you can watch it is another matter.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

- This morning I tried to use my main computer, which is connected via Ethernet and it would not work.  Changed the cable to a different port on the gateway and it worked.  Confirmed it was one port that was not working. WiFi was working fine on all my devices including the main computer. Restarted the entire system using the WiFi Hub App and all appears to be working again.  @-G- This may be the reason for your pod issues?

@57  Did you tag me by accident?  I don't have Pods.  Also, it has been 32+ hours now and ALL of my Ignite services are STILL down.  I can't confirm what is/is not working at the moment until I get Internet connectivity again.  Right now, my modem won't even register.

Also, yesterday, while Rogers was struggling to restore services, in my parents' home, I saw things like IPv6 working but no IPv4 connectivity.  It may still take Rogers quite some time to get all of their services stable again.

As for yesterday's outage, I have never seen anything like it from a major carrier/service provider.  It looked like they pretty much had a complete meltdown of ALL of their services, everywhere.  Unbelievable.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-G- sorry, should have tagged @Gdkitty I've corrected my post and will post that portion again in @Gdkitty 's thread, which I probably should have done in the first place, but I thought it may be helpful in this thread too...

Yeah, yesterday was definitely unbelievable. I originally thought it was DOS/hacking, but they say no, so far.  I could understand one thing going down in a certain area, but to have everything Rogers supplies go down everywhere is very very lame.  It'll be interesting to hear what happened, if we ever find out.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

in my parents' home, I saw things like IPv6 working but no IPv4 connectivity.  It may still take Rogers quite some time to get all of their services stable again.

As for yesterday's outage, I have never seen anything like it from a major carrier/service provider.  It looked like they pretty much had a complete meltdown of ALL of their services, everywhere.  Unbelievable.

Yeah, my pods wont register.

Also, appears to be DNS issues?  my PCs and phone, get semi service fine, but cant connect to anything, unless I change / add the google DNS.
This is effecting about 1/2 of my smart devices not to re connect, as they cant communicate with their service.

while I am up here where I am since like 140 am? our friends in uxbridge, still nothing at all.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

Yeah, yesterday was definitely unbelievable. I originally thought it was DOS/hacking, but they say no, so far.  I could understand one thing going down in a certain area, but to have everything Rogers supplies go down everywhere is very very lame.  It'll be interesting to hear what happened, if we ever find out.

I happened to wake up at 4:45 AM yesterday.  Had fallen asleep with the TV on, was about to turn it off and noticed that I had no TV service, or Internet service.  My modem had dropped off the network and could not reregister.  I thought that my local node had gone down.

No problem; I'll just tether to my iPhone... only to find that there was no Rogers cell service either.

Turned on the radio, and the morning DJ had nothing to report on the 6:00 news because their reporters could not connect due to Rogers service outages.

My initial thought was that someone had pushed out a network config change or a BGP change overnight and something went horribly wrong... but those sorts of mishaps should be easy to recover; a few hours of downtime at most.  For me, I could just see that I did not seem to be provisioned on my node/CMTS, and my nearest Rogers cell tower was not talking at all.  Then to learn that this was nation-wide, and affected business and residential services, AND took out Interac and some connectivity to emergency services?

The most interesting comment about this whole thing came from François-Philippe Champagne; that he had spoken to Rogers' CEO... and the CEOs of BCE and Telus, and that those CEOs were willing to offer whatever assistance that they could.  My initial gut reaction was that Rogers had been hacked, and that they were looking whether serious attempts had been made to take down the other major Canadian telecoms as well.

I also found it interesting that even after last year's major outage, Rogers still did not have remediation plans in place to bring their most critical services back online in short order.

I don't know what really happened.  I don't want to speculate... but whatever happened brought down pretty much EVERYTHING.  It was either a really bad accident or somebody knew exactly how and where to hit them.  I can't wait to see what they have to say to explain this.

RL61
I've been around
Markham area. All channels freezing, sound disappears and picture loss. Cannot watch anything, service may as well be totally unavailable.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
I am seeing the same glitchiness at my parents’ house. Totally unwatchable.

Just crafted a loop antenna and we are now watching over-the-air TV in beautiful pristine uncompressed HD.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Fwiw, just for everyone else's benefit, you don't need an exotic antenna for Over-The-Air (OTA) tv.  A simple antenna will suffice for local channels, as @-G- is demonstrating.  To checkout what you can receive locally, go to:

tvfool.com or RabbitEars.Info 

For tvfool.com, follow the link to Check Your Address for Free TV"  Fill in the details  and select the "Find Local Channels" to generate a list of local OTA tv channels.  

For RabbitEars.Info, follow the links to Tools .... Signal Search Map.  Drag the pushpin at the center of the map to your location in Canada, keep scaling down until you can drag the pushpin to your location and select the Go button on the lower right to generate the local OTA tv channel listing.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The loop antenna was an upgrade from: https://www.instructables.com/Paperclip-Antenna/

And even that paper clip antenna was good enough to bring in CTV, CBC, and the CBC French channels!

Also, I am now using the paper clip because, 41 hours later, my Ignite services are still down.

jjjjy7
I'm a reliable contributor

Still some channels taking a bit longer to load in, but other than, after speaking with my neighbours as well,  all Services for my area seems to have been restored.

Topic Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 7 in conversation